Blood test on ship

coolcagolfer

11 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

This is a very dangerous thing to do away from your home and doctor.  If your INR results are not 100% accurate and the count is actually over the acceptable range you could literally bleed to death from a shaving nick.  

Why would anyone trust a home testing kit on a cruiseship with limited medical capability?  Our doctor insists that the blood be drawn by a medical professional and the results read by an accredited lab.  My husband switched to another blood thinner that does not require INR testing and is much safer and more reliable.   Yes, it’s very expensive  but our insurance plan covers it.  I hope the OP gets the advice they Ned from their doctor and not here on CC or on the phone with a Princess rep.

I agree with your last sentence.  Thought I had said as much.  To be fair, OP isn't asking for medical advice.  They were looking for experience with having the test conducted on board. 

I'm not debating the value of home testing other than to say it is an option for some, under the guidance of a physician of course.  Nor am I questioning your experience.   Personally, I would prefer the services of a medical facility.  

I can't answer as to if the ship has the capabilities to do and INR testing and I hope once you get an answer you will share it here.

I can say I have been home testing weekly with an INR meter for 6+ years.  I have traveled with my meter many times.  It allows me to test as needed especially while away from home because we all know our diets can and do change while on vacation.  I message my results to my cardiologist and we adjust my medication accordingly.  I also spot check my meter results a few times a year, comparing my meter result with a lab draw result and have never had any discrepancies.

I have learned that warfarin doesn't have to change your life and it's nothing to be afraid of if it is managed and monitored correctly. 

Please talk with your doctor and see what they feel is best for you.  Maybe a home meter is a possibility.  

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Edited by rnff2
Edit
  • Like 1

I used to take Warfarin and I had to have my INR tested weekly.  I have had it done at the medical center on 2 different Princess ships.  If I remember correctly the cost was around $100 just for the test, that did not include a medical consultation as I had a letter from my doctor.

I have since switched to a different medication that does not require testing.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Lady Arwen said:

INR is a blood test that requires drawing blood and submitting it to a lab.  You cannot self test for this.   Must be a nurse or doctor.

There is a self test kit available.  I have my tests done at my pharmacy and she faxes them to my doctor.  At this point it works fine but I might just decide to get the self tester and do my own cheques in the future.

It isn't as easy as just changing to another blood thinner that does not require INR testing.  I have kidney disease so I can only take Warfarin to avoid further damage to my kidneys.  Also, it is very difficult for me to have blood work done (bad veins) so to have to go through this every 2 weeks would be very difficult.  My doctor is fine with using the jab test kit, in fact, he was the one who suggested it.

• Like 1

I just changed from Warfarin to Xarelto after 3 procedures this year that required I bridge with lovinox shots for a week or two.  Xarelto makes it easier since you go off it, then right back on and I'm facing more surgery/procedures.  I made the change after talking to my doctor and it is a very personal decision.

I wanted to say that the manufactures for this and I think Eliquis offer savings coupons.  I pay $10.00 for a three month supply.  Here in the US.  Without that, I think I was looking at a few hundred a month.  FWIW to anyone.