Kona for 2 days, suggestions please

travelin.sisters

So I was excited that our cruise (Discovery Princess/March 24) was going to Kona as I haven't been there in about 50 years & mostly Princess doesn't stop there. However since the devastating fire in Lahaina it looks like we will be skipping Maui completely & spending 2 days in Kona. I know we want to do the Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau & Kaloko-Honokōhau National Parks, but I am not sure what else to put high on the list with an extra day. Sadly it looks like we can't do any late evening or night things as the tenders will stop running about 7pm & 2 of our group are over 80 so that makes some limitations (althuogh they might want to take the second day to stay on the ship & recover). 

I would appreciate any suggestions for tours or things to see if we rent a vehicle. Thanks muchly.

4 minutes ago, sckoolmarm said:

We are also on this cruise and looking to book a luau.  However, since we have to be back in the ship at 7, that might be an issue.  Anybody have any ideas?

we have a very active roll call for this cruise if you are interested in joining: 

WOW! Huge bummer that the tenders stop running. So much to do at night on the Big Island. The absolute best thing to do on the BI is night viewing of the volcanos. They totally come to life once the sun sets. Then there is star gazing on Mauna Kea or night swimming with the manta's.  Are you positive that they stop running at 7pm.? I would think the restaurants downtown Kona would want the business. I'm bummed for you.

Bring snorkel gear to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau. Easy steps to enter water with a decent amount of fish (although you will notice coral bleaching). This would be fine for day 2.

A nice short hike (only 350 ft elevation gain) is Pololu Valley. The drive up to this part of the BI is one of my favorite. Of course, there is the green sand beach hike too. That one can be hot. Last time we were there locals were offering $15 rides. We hoofed it anyway but in retrospect that would have been a $15 well spent given how hot it was. My 75 year old BIL did the Pololu hike 2 years ago but I'm not sure how active your 'over 80' people are.

If you are driving to the volcano on day 1 be sure to stop at the south beach bakery. It's pretty famous and worth a stop. You can loop thru Hilo on the way back and stop at several waterfalls that don't require hiking.  Last year we rented ATV for a tour near Waimea and that was fun too. 

Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

WOW! Huge bummer that the tenders stop running. So much to do at night on the Big Island. The absolute best thing to do on the BI is night viewing of the volcanos. They totally come to life once the sun sets. Then there is star gazing on Mauna Kea or night swimming with the manta's.  Are you positive that they stop running at 7pm.? I would think the restaurants downtown Kona would want the business. I'm bummed for you.

Bring snorkel gear to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau. Easy steps to enter water with a decent amount of fish (although you will notice coral bleaching). This would be fine for day 2.

A nice short hike (only 350 ft elevation gain) is Pololu Valley. The drive up to this part of the BI is one of my favorite. Of course, there is the green sand beach hike too. That one can be hot. Last time we were there locals were offering $15 rides. We hoofed it anyway but in retrospect that would have been a $15 well spent given how hot it was. My 75 year old BIL did the Pololu hike 2 years ago but I'm not sure how active your 'over 80' people are.

If you are driving to the volcano on day 1 be sure to stop at the south beach bakery. It's pretty famous and worth a stop. You can loop thru Hilo on the way back and stop at several waterfalls that don't require hiking.  Last year we rented ATV for a tour near Waimea and that was fun too. 

Hope this helps! 

thank you so much!! I am pretty sure the tenders stop early but the ship is doing this same cruise next month so will follow their reports to see what actually happens. I would love to do some of those late activities but probably not enough to try & rent a room ashore. 

you have given me a lot of exciting ideas & I would love to snorkel in Kona when I went with my parents it was the place I remember we had the best fish sightings but didn't know if after 50 years it would still be good. 

thanks for all your suggestions. Kathy

• Like 1