Almost Live …. NCL Bliss through the Panama Canal (Dec 4 to 19) Miami to LA

EganFire

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

EganFire was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello to anyone interested in following along on this cruise. I am starting the live "early" so I can share some preparation and planning items, as well as hopefully hear from you and learn what you are interested in me sharing when I am on board.

This cruise will be departing Miami heading to LA through the Panama Canal. This will be my third time on the Bliss and my first time through the Canal. As a matter of fact, first time to every port (other than Miami). I am a Platinum latitudes reward member so I will share some of the items that includes as well. 

The projected itinerary is as follows:

Dec 4 - say goodbye to Miami, FL 

Dec 7 – Cartagena, Columbia

Dec 8 – Enter the Panama Canal to Panama City overnight

Dec 9 – Panama City 

Dec 11 – Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 

Dec 13 – Acapulco, Mexico (as of now it still is on the itinerary

Dec 14 – Manzanillo, Mexico

Dec 15 – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Dec 16 – Mazatlán, Mexico

Dec 17 – Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Dec 19 – LA  - when asked “you just completed a 15 day Panama Canal cruise, what are you going to do now?” – I will say “I’m going to Disneyland!”

(For those interested, I may post some of the Disney adventures as well)

I hope my “almost live” updates are found to have humor, fun, information, inspiration, and of course entertainment. I will post what I do on the ship, where I eat, what excursions I go on, anything I do in port, and offer the occasional tip or review of all the above and more. I will also post pictures when possible along the way. 

For those who follow along, or stumble on this posting, I hope you enjoy it and if you have questions that I can assist with please feel free to ask.

As I am now 21 days away from cruising, I have already started detailed planning, developed a day-by-day schedule of where I will be, what reservations I have made, what excursions I have planned, gathered notes, and made a check list. Okay, I may be a little “extra” on this, but I was raised to always be prepared, have a plan, and be open to changing everything at the last minute. 

Check in was easier than I remember - the picture upload used to jam me up. Well, this time it still did; however, this time after the 5th failed attempt, it allowed me to complete the check-in process anyway. Also, I had my cruise docs ready in hours instead of days - already printed my luggage tags. 

image.png.de5b1dcc7b5b733c0c75ec8da30b3c44.png

Can you say I am ready for this cruise now!

I will start to share when I can on here as we move forward. My next post will either be about my planning process and or what some of my excursions and on-board activities will include. 

So …. let the adventures begin ….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

We are on the reverse cruise on the Bliss from LA to Miami, November 19th to December 4th and Acapulco is still on the itinerary.  Will check back in and update if anything changes.

Edited by bssc
  • Like 3

A little bit of planning goes a long way…. 

I am a planner. I make lists. I make more lists, then I make a list with a reminder to clean up my lists… you get the point….

I find this process helpful first and foremost to be prepared. I also in some sort of way, feel like I am on the vacation in my mind anyway, or at least when I day-dream at work. Shhh…. don’t tell my supervisor or co-workers. 

Several cruises ago, I started using excel to create a day by day list of items for the cruise. I also have it for any pre or post cruise travel plans. This helps keep all confirmation numbers, details, times, and reservations in one place for quick reference.

image.png.d47aad3501d8efb1d7fafb648ed46e9f.png

I have added rows to see what average temperatures to expect, day of the week, date, port times, excursion times, dinner plans, and shows. I have many more rows, this example above is just a snapshot of what it looks like. Talking with others, some put the sunrise and sunset times as well. Do you have something similar, and what do you track on it?

This process has certainly helped me on previous cruises.  I print a few copies - one in my stateroom, one in my backpack when I am getting on the ship, and one in my backpack when in port. I also found taking a picture of it that I had it on my phone for quick reference if needed.

This cruise I am trying something new for me. It was someone on here that recommended it.  I will try ‘TripIt’ and will see how this goes. I will have both printed copies from Excel and the app side by side and see if I can move into this new thing called technology. 🙂

• Like 8

DH and I did the Bliss Miami to LA in Feb. 2022 (a slightly different itinerary).  It was pure heaven for 15 days!  It is our favorite cruise of all time.  I can't wait to sail on her again (and do another PC sailing in reverse!)

• Like 1

Julie McCoy and the gang of the Love Boat?

As I planned what excursions I would like to do in each port, I kept hearing the name of some of the ports in Julie’s voice from the TV show ‘The Love Boat’. 

I can hear Julie saying “Acapulco” or “Puerto Vallarta” every time I read them. 

For those who have not seen the show, it ran 1977-1986. I may have dated myself some…. For those interested - Pluto TV has a 24 hour 7 day a week 'Love Boat' channel.

Note: for those who choose to watch - some of the episodes have not aged well at all. 

The planned excursions are currently:

Cartagena – Mangrove Canoe 

Panama City – Ancon Hill Walking Tour (not NCL)

Puerto Quetzal – Antigua’s Charm and Craft Beer

Acapulco – Bay Cruise & Cliff Divers (not sure how this port will be post hurricane - if we even go at all)

Manzanillo – Nothing yet planned

Puerto Vallarta – Mexican Fiesta 

Mazatlán – Fishing

Cabo San Lucas – Whale Watching

Have you done any of these excursions in these ports before? If you have, what did you think? 

Have you been to these ports, and if so, any good restaurants or bars that I "must see"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG! Yes, I remember Julie and the gang!  

(Aging myself here yet my handle does say 1961…) 

Agree the show hasn’t aged well, but it’s still fun.  Any chance you remember the one where Robert Reed and Florence Henderson (AKA as Mr. and Mrs. Brady) are in separate vignettes yet cross paths on the ship and sense something familiar?  Classic!

Les and I will be travelling with you and JamesIowa on the 12/4/23 Panama Canal Cruise.  We’ll be in the Vibe.  Like you, I’m a planner and have everything mapped out.  Les – retired FF – flies by the seat of his pants yet humours me 😊.  It somehow balances out.

We look forward to joining you on this journey IRL.  We have the same excursion planned for Acapulco and will see how that plays out. 

Lita

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiser1961 said:

Agree the show hasn’t aged well, but it’s still fun.  Any chance you remember the one where Robert Reed and Florence Henderson (AKA as Mr. and Mrs. Brady) are in separate vignettes yet cross paths on the ship and sense something familiar?  Classic!

Les and I will be travelling with you and JamesIowa on the 12/4/23 Panama Canal Cruise.  We’ll be in the Vibe.  Like you, I’m a planner and have everything mapped out.  Les – retired FF – flies by the seat of his pants yet humours me 😊.  It somehow balances out.

First, and most important, I look forward to seeing you on the ship. I am sure Les and I can swap a story or two if you look at my avatar. I am sure we will find each other in the Vibe. 🙂

Second, I do remember that episode. The show also had a few actors well ahead of their stardom. 

• Like 1

Ship upgrades and add-ons 

I decided I wanted to check a few things out for this cruise. With a 'few days at sea', I wanted to ensure I had some exploring to do, after all I have been on the Bliss twice before. I love the Bliss, but I have not yet experienced the Spa Pass. This cruise I purchased one and I plan to find out hopefully how amazing that can be.

Now I have no idea what to do with the spa pass, do I go to the steam room first, or the sauna? How long do I stay in each? How long should I plan to be in the Spa on this pass each visit? Should I do this every day? Multiple times a day? Do I go in the pool after and repeat? So many questions and all I know is, I am sure I will figure it out and I am sure I will be more relaxed for having the Spa Pass…, maybe my skin will be glowing and radiant afterwards…. Do miracles still happen? 

So, does anyone have any Spa advice? I am all eyes for suggestions on how to use it for the ultimate spa experience. 

I also upgraded and added a few more dinners, after all this is a 15 day cruise,  🙂  and I upgraded my drink package, after all this is a 15 day cruise. 🙂 🙂 I did the upgrade for the bottled waters, at least that is how I justified it in my mind. 

image.png.90f287713b6c2f80323461ed7c8d8fb4.png

One final upgrade, and one I personally love. The Vibe. On my first Bliss cruise I learned of the Vibe and took advantage of it on my second Bliss cruise and loved it. I look forward to the Vibe especially since this is a 15 day cruise.  🙂  🙂 🙂 These pictures (above and below) are from my first Vibe experience on the Bliss. For those who are regular in the Vibe,  you may recognize this amazing bartender. 

image.png.ad4386d923de08108fc7b2f4750d98fe.png

What upgrades are your “must haves” when you cruise? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesIowa said:

Unlimited internet w/ streaming. After all, it’s a 15 day cruise!

Ohhh, I did forget to mention that one, especially since I am doing an "Almost Live" and will for sure need it to do so. 🙂 Although, do not tell my co-workers or managers at work, as far as they know I am off the grid for the cruise. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 7:02 AM, EganFire said:

First, and most important, I look forward to seeing you on the ship. I am sure Les and I can swap a story or two if you look at my avatar. I am sure we will find each other in the Vibe. 🙂

Yes, I noticed your avatar and thought that you and Les might have a story or two to share!   We look forward to seeing you on board 😊 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bssc said:

As promised, just got on the Bliss and were handed the attached letter that Acapulco was canceled.

Thank you for the update. I predict ours will be as well; however, we probably won't know until we board in Miami. Have an amazing cruise. 

• Like 1

Items to pack….

I won’t provide my ‘entire’ packing list, as everyone does not need to know how many sets of socks I am bringing, but instead I will list some of the items that I have found a need or a use for on past cruises - and these are items that I have learned on here or from others who cruise. 

Magnetic Hooks - These are so handy for many things. For those that do not already know, nearly every wall and the ceiling in the rooms are metal. Even the ones that look like wood are often metal. Hooks can help hang a shirt, hat, belt, etc… The magnetic hooks can be found online and have different weight capacities. I have used the larger capacity hooks to hang a toiletry bag as well. 

Dry Bag - This bag helps to keep the iPhone and wallet dry while in port, especially when at the beach or on a boat. I will be on a canoe, and fishing boat and will want to have the phone along to take pictures. The bag I found is clear and I can operate the phone from inside it. 

Highlighter / Post It Notes - These come in handy for a few things. First, I use the highlighter when I review the printed copy of ‘FreeStyle Daily’ - so I can refer to what I may want to do. I can use the Post It notes to leave a message for a friend or a reminder for myself

Chair Clips (or chair towel bands)- These are great to keep your towel, or shirt, from blowing away from your chair, especially while at sea. I am not a fan of those who “reserve” seats all day and are never to be found, but these are great to keep things from blowing away while you step to the bar for a refill, of water, yeah, I mean water - must stay hydrated. 😄 

image.png.ffde346cb648d1780bc2680e5a046971.png

Luggage Tags - You can find online plastic tags designed to insert the “printed from home” luggage tags. Each cruise line’s tag size is different, so I have a set just for NCL that allows the folded version to be protected and secured by screw on wire. I print and prepare these and can quickly attach them just before handing them off at the check-in area. I purchased this set from Cruise Critic. 

image.png.f5b55b9d64c6e97e08a7477acc9bc85b.png

Motion Sensor Night Light - The cabin lighting can be all or nothing, or areas of light that are still too bright for a quick trip to the bathroom at night. I find having a low watt night light in the room and bathroom that turns on with motion for the room is just the right amount of light to get me there and back. Preventing me from hitting my knee on something painful. For those that have stepped on a Lego at night with your bare feet at home; the cruise ship version is hitting your knee on the furniture in a dark stateroom. 

Portable Power Bank - I bring two. I have one that is light and easy to bring into port that can quickly get some power to the phone after taking many pictures. I for sure do not want the phone/camera/map holder/thing-of-all-things to die while I am in a port.  The other one I bring, is heavier and in Tim Allen's voice “has more charge” and can help charge devices in the room where I want them to charge. Where I ‘want’ them to charge is not always near an outlet, but with the power bank I can charge wherever I want to. Some suggested bringing extension cords for this; however, I find those to be additional trip hazards for nighttime walking and sometimes they are not ship approved. 

Some notes for those who have not been on a cruise before:  if you are bringing electrical items like extension cords, they must be cruise approved. Often that approval is on the annoying tag on the cord that many tear off. You can find options online that show they are ‘cruise approved’, just make sure you do not tear off that tag attached to the cord, or it could be confiscated and returned to you after the cruise. 

What unique item have you learned to bring with you on every cruise that is not already mentioned?

I am always open to learning and I am still making my list for this trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1