Marseille old town to Cruise Port

framboesa

4 hours ago, framboesa said:

Hello!

Is the cruise shuttle from Marseille old town to the cruise port working?

if not, do you know how much is a taxi or tvde car from old town to the cruise port?

Thank you 🙂

Shuttle services (whether they exist, are free, of have a price) vary by cruise line.  A taxi will probably want about 20 Euros (for the taxi) which, given the distance, is somewhat of a rip-off.  Shared taxis (which you can sometimes find loading in the old port area, are the best deal as the larger van/taxis may cost as little as 5 Euros per person.  We honestly do not even worry or think about any of this and just do our own thing.  If and when we need to get back (from the Vieux Port area) we simply grab a taxi, shuttle, or allow plenty of time so we could walk/crawl if necessary :).

Hank

• Like 1

The Port has a free shuttle service, from the area of Joliette Metro. Not easy to find, runs 1/2 hourly, very crowded. RTM 35T runs from Joliette to Port. Both end at the port gate for document check on entry, then a long walk to the terminals. Taxi isn't cheap, I'm thinking maybe 40 euros or more,  but a lot more convenient. Walking is not practical.

Edited by Dancer Bob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, framboesa said:

is the cruise shuttle from Marseille old town to the cruise port working?

It isn't clear which shuttle you are referring to as you didn't say, but unless things have changed, these were the options.

Cruise port shuttle which runs from  the terminal at Fos, free, but there have been reports of lines of as many as a couple of hundred passengers depending on the number of ships in that day  so you may have a long wait. it would be a matter of luck on the day and at the time you arrive at the stop.

Cruiseline shuttles are offered by most lines and usually run to a location alongside or close to the Vieux Port.  There is usually a charge for this.

My understanding is that there is also a public bus which runs along the main road outside of the port, but you would need to know which stop to board and to get off at and the port at Fos is huge so depending on where your ship is docked you could have a long walk both to and back from that main road.

You could take a taxi all the way, or consider one to take you between Fos and la Joliette, a transport hub  between port and city, and from there you could take a metro, bus or walk to the centre.

If the "shuttle" you were referring to is a cruiseline shuttle you could ask for info on the forum for your cruiseline where others who have used it would be more likely to see it..

Or,

If the "shuttle" you were referring to is the port bus cruise  shuttle, you might have to contact Port of Fos authorities or the official Marseille Tourist Office and ask.

Just now noticed you are Lisbon based and Lisbon is one of our favourite cities.  We ported there a number of times but enjoyed the city so much on those days that we booked a city breal for several days in Feb 2020 just before the world closed down.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

or allow plenty of time so we could walk/crawl if necessary :).

Hope that is a joke Hank, as I am "guesstimating" the distance must be a good 4, 5 or maybe 6 miles from the Vieux Port area, somewhat challenging at the best of times, but after a day sightseeing even worse.

Edited by edinburgher

Just now, edinburgher said:

Hope that is a joke Hank, as I am "guesstimating" the distance must be a good 5 or maybe 6 miles from the Vieux Port area, somewhat challenging at the best of times, but after a day sightseeing even worse.

No joke for us (a 5 mile walk would be fine) but agree that most cruisers would grab a taxi.  The truth here is that shuttle buses are "cruise line specific."  Some lines provide free or low cost shuttle buses at most ports while other lines prefer to coerce their charges into booking very expensive excursions.   Since the OP did not specify the cruise line...hence the answer.

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Since the OP did not specify the cruise line...hence the answer.

Part of my reply above

If the "shuttle" you were referring to is a cruiseline shuttle you could ask for info on the forum for your cruiseline where others who have used it would be more likely to see it

.I would hate to walk alongside that road as it is really busy and would be unpleasant.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your answers.🙂

I was talking about the cruise shuttle provided by marseille port. 

It seems that even with that shuttle it's a pretty long walk 😉

because they will stay in marseille one day before the cruise, near a Metro station, I was thinking of travelling to metro station Joliette and then walking to the cruise shuttle stop. But the information provided by google maps is that they have to walk all the way back to the beginning of the street to enter one private area to catch the shuttle 😏

Edited by framboesa

29 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Just now noticed you are Lisbon based and Lisbon is one of our favourite cities.  We ported there a number of times but enjoyed the city so much on those days that we booked a city breal for several days in Feb 2020 just before the world closed down.

Thank you for your words!

We were in Edinburgh for Christmas in 2018 and loved it (I mean...really loved it). Such nice people and nice food 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, framboesa said:

Thank you for your words!

We were in Edinburgh for Christmas in 2018 and loved it (I mean...really loved it). Such nice people and nice food 🙂

Thank you.  I think we are both fortunate to live where we do.😀

Edited by edinburgher