Report on Aurora Northern lights cruise Nov 2023

pete14

Towards the end of another day, a summary.

For a sea day without sunshine and sun loungers, it has been a good one. The talk by Gervase Phinn on some of his experiences as a school inspector was excellently delivered, amusing but thought provoking. He really is an excellent speaker and if he is ever on a ship on which you are cruising, well worth listening to. He has five more talks to go. 

Lunch was three small plates in the glasshouse. The plates may have been small but there was plenty of food for one person. A glass of velvet devil red wine was a good accompaniment. At around £14 for a large glass, it makes the top drinks package seem to be a good choice but of course it depends on the tipple you choose. For beer, and a lesser degree spirits (around £8 for a 50cl measure of something decent), maybe not so good. 

We have a classical guitarist onboard (Carlos Bonell) who has collaborated a lot with Queen and Paul McCartney as well as playing classical selections with various orchestras. His 45 minute concert was very enjoyable, including a range of styles, including flamenco, the first movement of the Spring concerto from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, the Beatle’s ‘Penny Lane’ and Cavatina, from the film ‘The Deerhunter’. All were excellently played. He is also appearing five more times. The busker who we have onboard was not of the same quality. After renditions of two Ed Sheeran songs, we left when he started murdering my favourite Adele song.

Tonight was the first celebration night. As the main courses were not greatly to my taste, I chose the main course from the pay extra ‘signature menu’. Apparently, I was the first person to select this. Although the steak was cooked excellently to my requested medium rare, if so few people are choosing to pay extra from that optional menu, its days may be numbered even at this early stage. In my opinion, it would be a shame if this happened, but consumer demand (or lack of it) may dictate its future. 

The weather has been fine all day and the sea has been calm with little movement to suggest we are crossing the North Sea. Hopefully this will remain so but somehow, I doubt it will. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

I just mentioned to my wife that Gervase Phinn is on Aurora, and now I am in trouble for not booking us on it……

He seems to do talks on quite a lot of cruises, including Saga. His new novel is called ‘The Captain’s Table’ (or similar) which is apparently based on some people he has met on cruises. I think one of his future talks on this cruise will feature it, rather than his experiences in schools, and of course he will be selling signed copies.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pete14 said:

He seems to do talks on quite a lot of cruises, including Saga. His new novel is called ‘The Captain’s Table’ (or similar) which is apparently based on some people he has met on cruises. I think one of his future talks on this cruise will feature it, rather than his experiences in schools, and of course he will be selling signed copies.

I will let my beloved know about the book! Thanks for the info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, pete14 said:

For a sea day without sunshine and sun loungers, it has been a good one. The talk by Gervase Phinn on some of his experiences as a school inspector was excellently delivered, amusing but thought provoking. He really is an excellent speaker and if he is ever on a ship on which you are cruising, well worth listening to. He has five more talks to go. 

Lunch was three small plates in the glasshouse. The plates may have been small but there was plenty of food for one person. A glass of velvet devil red wine was a good accompaniment. At around £14 for a large glass, it makes the top drinks package seem to be a good choice but of course it depends on the tipple you choose. For beer, and a lesser degree spirits (around £8 for a 50cl measure of something decent), maybe not so good. 

We have a classical guitarist onboard (Carlos Bonell) who has collaborated a lot with Queen and Paul McCartney as well as playing classical selections with various orchestras. His 45 minute concert was very enjoyable, including a range of styles, including flamenco, the first movement of the Spring concerto from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, the Beatle’s ‘Penny Lane’ and Cavatina, from the film ‘The Deerhunter’. All were excellently played. He is also appearing five more times. The busker who we have onboard was not of the same quality. After renditions of two Ed Sheeran songs, we left when he started murdering my favourite Adele song.

Tonight was the first celebration night. As the main courses were not greatly to my taste, I chose the main course from the pay extra ‘signature menu’. Apparently, I was the first person to select this. Although the steak was cooked excellently to my requested medium rare, if so few people are choosing to pay extra from that optional menu, its days may be numbered even at this early stage. In my opinion, it would be a shame if this happened, but consumer demand (or lack of it) may dictate its future. 

The weather has been fine all day and the sea has been calm with little movement to suggest we are crossing the North Sea. Hopefully this will remain so but somehow, I doubt it will. 

That sounds like the sort of sea day that we used to enjoy on Aurora. None of the sea days on Britannia, Iona or Ventura has come close to that over the past few months, so I had assumed that it was the same for all the ships nowadays. If we get speakers and musicians of that quality on Aurora in January then I shall be very happy. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Great to hear you are having a great Time all. Can't believe you have Gervais there ... a great after-dinner speaker! The sea looks so calm and the weather perfect. If it was only as good here in Wales !!! 

Say hello Mrs Pete and Pete Jr

Ps You do realise that after this you may earn a special badge 😉 😀 😜 😄 👍 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve read Gervase Phinn books and am quite envious that he’s a guest speaker on Aurora right now.  Looking forward to following along, so thanks.

I think Gervaise knew Pete was there and always wanted to meet him ..... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Pete 14,we are aboard 1st December, if you get the time, is the Glass House open for lunch, when boarding, it was not on our Baltic cruise in May, so we had to do with a bottle of warm white wine on the balcony,

washed down with  brought on fresh fruit

11 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve read Gervase Phinn books and am quite envious that he’s a guest speaker on Aurora right now.  Looking forward to following along, so thanks.

I have just finished reading his “At the Captain’s Table” I now know where he got his inspiration from, there are some quite funny characters on board, including a guest speaker.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Pete 14,we are aboard 1st December, if you get the time, is the Glass House open for lunch, when boarding, it was not on our Baltic cruise in May, so we had to do with a bottle of warm white wine on the balcony,

washed down with  brought on fresh fruit

As far as I am aware, the Glasshouse did not open until after we had set sail. At least you had the forethought to take some wine with you.

13 hours ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for the interesting report. I'm glad you had a good day. Regarding the "signature menu", how well publicised has it been? If nobody else realised that it was an option, that may be why you were the only (or at least the first) taker. 

58 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Thanks for the interesting report. I'm glad you had a good day. Regarding the "signature menu", how well publicised has it been? If nobody else realised that it was an option, that may be why you were the only (or at least the first) taker. 

If it’s the same as on Ventura, it’s kept secret. Our waiter was surprised that I knew about it and had to dig the menu out of a drawer. As someone said when I reported this on my live blog, it seems as though the waiters see it as extra work so don’t promote it, in the hope that it will fail due to lack of take up 🤔

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If it’s the same as on Ventura, it’s kept secret. Our waiter was surprised that I knew about it and had to dig the menu out of a drawer. As someone said when I reported this on my live blog, it seems as though the waiters see it as extra work so don’t promote it, in the hope that it will fail due to lack of take up 🤔

How could you be so cynical 😉

• Haha 1

Morning the Pete14 family

Could you send a wine list please if they have one re what you can have per bottle or glass. The £14 seems expensive.

We are trying to decide whether or not to take up the 10% off the drinks package offer but don't think we'd make use of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Morning the Pete14 family

Could you send a wine list please if they have one re what you can have per bottle or glass. The £14 seems expensive.

We are trying to decide whether or not to take up the 10% off the drinks package offer but don't think we'd make use of it.

In the meantime, here’s the MDR one from Ventura last week, which I suspect is the same

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

There was a card (Folded A4 size approx) on the table when we arrived. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In the meantime, here’s the MDR one from Ventura last week, which I suspect is the same

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

Thanks for saving me a job Selbourne. As you can see, there are cheaper wines but I am quite partial to Velvet Devil . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pete14 said:

14 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

I will let my beloved know about the book! Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Lizzyanne said:

I have just finished reading his “At the Captain’s Table” I now know where he got his inspiration from, there are some quite funny characters on board, including a guest speaker.

I bought "At the Captain's Table" from The Works in their 3 for £6 section and am currently reading it.

Interesting to learn where he got his inspiration from.

• Like 1