Granny at Sea

GrannyLorr

Cruising Granny

We are now aboard the Seabourn Spirit, sailing along the North Queensland Coast. We have been sailing almost 24hours.

Embarkation in Cairns yesterday was quite hectic. All our paperwork stated sail away was 6pm. and on Saturday we walked across to the Wharf, to make sure we knew where to go. The Security people told us not to arrive too early, as there were a lot of passengers embarking the next day so 3pm would be early enough. We had to be out of our hotel room at 12.00 noon, so at 11.45, we phoned for our bags to be collected and stored for a couple of hours. When the bellboy arrived at our room, he asked if we were going on “the ship”. He then told us he would run our luggage over, as the ship was sailing at Noon! What a rush. As typical Queenslanders, we hadn’t taken much notice of all the cyclone warnings for the area, but of course the Captain and Crew weren’t quite as casual as we were. Apparently hotels had been notified, and there were broadcasts on the radio and on Qantas flights, but we hadn’t heard any of them! In the end the ship didn’t leave until 4m. which the Captain had announced was the absolute deadline. Luckily by then ALL passengers had arrived. In our first couple of hours, we had tried out the Sky Bar, the Horizon Lounge and had lunch in the Veranda Restaurant. The food was delicious and the crew are everything I have read about in CC. They just can’t do enough for you. It took ages for me to unpack all our luggage and find homes for everything, but now we are almost settled in for the next 54 days. Last nights dinner was “Casual” which was a relief as all our clothes look like dish rags! We were invited to dine on a table hosted by Matthew Brown, and it was a great night. Met our first group of passengers. Everyone is very friendly and I don’t think it will be very long before we feel right at home!

We had an early night as we were both quite tired after all the rush.

Monday.

Early morning coffee and muffins in the Horizon Lounge before breakfast. A nice slow start to the day. I visited the Business Centre, to sort out my WiFi connection, so hopefully all will work well for me.

After all I have read in CC, I told my husband that we just HAD to go to Trivia today. We joined a group of 4 Americans and 2 English. We are called “The Wannabes”…and guess what?? WE WON……well ~equal~ First anyway, and were presented with “Made in New Zealand” leather bookmarks. Looking forward to the next win!

This afternoon we are going to do a “Galley Tour” then tonight it’s our first “Formal Night”.

We have only been on board24 hours, but are really enjoying it.

Until next time

GrannyLorr

Thanks for the update.

I was wondering how that "little" cyclone was going to affect you. (That's what I love about Queenslanders. I'm here in New Jersey sweating it for you...and you are Happy as Larry without a care in the world!)

Enjoy!

Dear Granny,

So glad you are finally on board and for all of us who are stuck on land your posts will allow us to share some of what you will experience. I'm so jealous of your triva win, I just love playing and after 54 days on board we want to hear what other prizes you win.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Your Vegimite friend

Karen.

We, too, were supposed to board in Cairns, but due to 1 planned surgery and one not so planned, here we are . . . we will now board in Singapore and will get off in Rome along with you . . . I expect a big hello and a very expensive gift awaiting me from you . . . you might ask Vitor, your Hotel Manager, who loves him best from Atlanta and that should be I . . . have a great time and save the night of the 3rd to have dinner with us . . . we're in 225/7 . . . can't wait to see your smiling face . . . elroha

It is now Tuesday afternoon, and we are sailing along the top of Australia, on our way to Darwin. Last night we attended our first “Formal” night, but it caused a bit of a panic for me for a while……couldn’t find where I had put hubbys cuff links and studs! We finally found them, after lifting up the bed and dragging all the luggage out for one last thorough search. They were safely hidden in a “secret” compartment of one of the bags…..so secret that I had forgotten all about it.

We first went to a Cocktail Reception to meet Captain Peddersen and some of his Crew, then off for dinner. I was actually quite surprised regarding the “formal dress”. Most of the men were in Tuxes, but there were also a couple in light coloured jackets, and I didn’t think the women were dressed anywhere near as formally as I had been expecting. Of course everyone looked nice. I have read in CC quite often about how nice all the passengers are, and I certainly agree. We have met some lovely people so far, all very friendly, and most are starting to get used to these strange Aussies! They all agree that I have made the perfect choice of Cruiseline and itinerary for our very first Cruise. Hubby likes to tell everyone that “we are virgins”.

I have also read in here lots of times about the wonderful food. Would anyone like to meet me in Rome with a larger set of clothes? We don’t seem to have stopped eating since we got on board. The food is absolutely fabulous….and of course the Service is way past perfect. At times in CC, I thought people must have been slightly exaggerating about the Crew…….but everything that has said about them…is not good enough! I have honestly never been treated like this in my life……and when in Rome…….I AINT GETTING OFF!

Back to the food…….I have tried the bread sticks….and tried them….and tried them….also the triple chocolate crème brulee……lots and lots of shrimp and lobster tails, oh the list goes on and on. I find it hard to believe that it is now almost 4pm and I haven’t had my first glass of champagne yet! Suppose we will make up for it later.

We enjoyed the Galley tour yesterday, with Chef Markus, but I am so glad I don’t have to cook any of those meals, or clean any of those dishes.

This morning we arrived at Thursday Island around 7am. but had to leave at 11am. as we had to sail on the high tide. We anchored off the island and went in to shore on the tender boat. Did a bus tour of almost all the island……there isn’t really a lot to see, but it is a very pretty island for a short visit. Terribly hot, so it was good to get back to the air-conditioned ship.

So far we still have very smooth seas, but Captain Pedderson has said it might get a bit rocky later today or tonight.

We have two more sea days coming up, so I suppose Trivia will be on again tomorrow. I have taken lots of photos, but so far haven’t had time to do anything with them, maybe in the next couple of days I can get some up on the Net. We arrive in Darwin on Friday morning.

So until next time

Bye from GrannyLorr

GrannyLorr,

So glad you are enjoying your 1st SB experience! :) I am very interestd in reading your posts and any phoptos you may wish to attach as well. Austraila and New Zealand have always interested me and have been on my travel wish list since graduating from college. I have an "open booking" that has to be applied by the end of 2007. If you enjoy this cruise, I may be on the Spirit in 2007 following in your wake!

My favorite formal night Seabourn dinner is the Lobster, Lobster, Lobster main course followed with Creme Brulee on Parade. Keep in mind it is not the food that makes you grow, it is the salt air at sea that makes your clothes and your belts shrink! ;) After you disembark, everything goes back to normal, except you can't wait for your next Seabourn adventure! :D

Please keep us sorry landlubbers posted and realy enjoy this cruise!

>"...the Lobster, Lobster, Lobster main course"

One of my favorites, too, and as I cannot resist the beef courses, I have the lobster roll as a salad substitute. One time I had the lobster entree and then had the prime rib for dessert! (There were a lot of laughs at that one, Kevin Timms arranged it). I also ususally have the gnocchi with asparagus as a starter then the larger vegetarian main course.

That's just one of the wonderful Seabourn aspects, you can have whatever you want. And, I just realized that on the 5 day 'quickie' there was no goat cheese souffle! If it doesn't show up early on the 7 day cruise menu, I shall have to request it.

It is now Tuesday afternoon, and we are sailing along the top of Australia, on our way to Darwin. Last night we attended our first “Formal” night, but it caused a bit of a panic for me for a while……couldn’t find where I had put hubbys cuff links and studs! We finally found them, after lifting up the bed and dragging all the luggage out for one last thorough search. They were safely hidden in a “secret” compartment of one of the bags…..so secret that I had forgotten all about it.

We first went to a Cocktail Reception to meet Captain Peddersen and some of his Crew, then off for dinner. I was actually quite surprised regarding the “formal dress”. Most of the men were in Tuxes, but there were also a couple in light coloured jackets, and I didn’t think the women were dressed anywhere near as formally as I had been expecting. Of course everyone looked nice. I have read in CC quite often about how nice all the passengers are, and I certainly agree. We have met some lovely people so far, all very friendly, and most are starting to get used to these strange Aussies! They all agree that I have made the perfect choice of Cruiseline and itinerary for our very first Cruise. Hubby likes to tell everyone that “we are virgins”.

I have also read in here lots of times about the wonderful food. Would anyone like to meet me in Rome with a larger set of clothes? We don’t seem to have stopped eating since we got on board. The food is absolutely fabulous….and of course the Service is way past perfect. At times in CC, I thought people must have been slightly exaggerating about the Crew…….but everything that has said about them…is not good enough! I have honestly never been treated like this in my life……and when in Rome…….I AINT GETTING OFF!

Back to the food…….I have tried the bread sticks….and tried them….and tried them….also the triple chocolate crème brulee……lots and lots of shrimp and lobster tails, oh the list goes on and on. I find it hard to believe that it is now almost 4pm and I haven’t had my first glass of champagne yet! Suppose we will make up for it later.

We enjoyed the Galley tour yesterday, with Chef Markus, but I am so glad I don’t have to cook any of those meals, or clean any of those dishes.

This morning we arrived at Thursday Island around 7am. but had to leave at 11am. as we had to sail on the high tide. We anchored off the island and went in to shore on the tender boat. Did a bus tour of almost all the island……there isn’t really a lot to see, but it is a very pretty island for a short visit. Terribly hot, so it was good to get back to the air-conditioned ship.

So far we still have very smooth seas, but Captain Pedderson has said it might get a bit rocky later today or tonight.

We have two more sea days coming up, so I suppose Trivia will be on again tomorrow. I have taken lots of photos, but so far haven’t had time to do anything with them, maybe in the next couple of days I can get some up on the Net. We arrive in Darwin on Friday morning.

So until next time

Bye from GrannyLorr

Granny, thanks so much for your posts. We can't wait to join you when we board in Singapore. While not first time cruisers, it is our first on SB so I read with great interest all your infol Thanks again

Carol & Bob Keane

For anyone following this thread and not already aware of it, Ides of March over on the HAL Board and posting under the thread 'Prinsendam 2006 Circle of the Sun' is currently providing his unique take on some of the upcoming Ports of Call for GrannyLorr and company.

Wayne

Wednesday 22nd March

We are almost at the end of a lovely long sea day, and I can see why everyone seems to enjoy the Crossings so much. It has been a lot more relaxed day today, apart from TRIVIA at Noon. Our second Trivia comp. and yes, we did win again. I have the feeling that there are a couple of people on our team who seem to think we are just “Country Hicks” and would prefer we weren’t there! But who do you think got the 200 point Bonus question, plus a couple of others? Us Aussies aren’t all that dumb!

We won by a long way today, 440 points with our nearest competitor 400. Most of the other teams were around 180! This time our prize was a Seabourn Key Ring, collecting a few goodies for the grandkids anyway. Tomorrow is another sea day, so off to Trivia again…..wonder if our team mates will take us a bit more seriously this time!

Last night we attended a Liars Club, and that was a lot of fun. We got 50% correct but that wasn’t enough for a prize! I am starting to expect a prize at every game now…..hope I don’t start pouting soon.

We were again invited to a hosted table last night, and we had a lot of fun, a really good mixture of Texans, Aussies, Kiwis, plus a couple of Canadians and a couple from NORTHERN Minnesota. Our Host was Preston, who was also on our table the first night. He is new to the ship, and a performer. Apparently he will be performing in about 5 days, but he is going to have the front row of the Club roped off, simply because I asked if there was any way I could pre order cream pies for that night! The host of our first night dinner, Matthew Brown is performing tonight, hope he doesn’t get too nervous when he sees us in the audience!

We are eating far too much than what can be good for us, but I feel we would be disappointing the crew if we didn’t at least try every dish they work so hard to prepare. We had breakfast in the Restaurant this morning, and of course the food was delicious. The lamb chops were the best I have ever eaten, and of course they had removed those pesky little bones……have to teach my hubby how to do that next time he cooks a BBQ! A lot of the crew already know our names, not sure if that is a good or bad sign, but I am a bit embarrassed that I don’t know theirs. The names on their tags are too small for me to be able to read……we need to remedy this, so today we asked our Waiter in the Veranda what his name is and where he is from. OK, so now we know one. He is Daniel and is from Malaysia, and his brother Ben is also there. There is also a brand new Daniel in the Sky Bar from Germany, and of course our Room attendant is Dita, but we haven’t asked her where home is. Hopefully we will pick up some more names as we go along.

Boatman….you really should be a Queenslander, that Happy as Larry comment was so appropriate! Seas are slightly moving now, but nothing to worry about. I cant believe we have been sailing for 3.5 days and are still “sort of” in Queensland. And they think Texas is big!

Matt……you should have stuck with this cruise, everything has been perfect so far, with a little bit of added excitement. We may not yet have seen Norms pirates, but the biggest cyclone in decades for these parts can add “colour” to any story!

Sea Hawk…..Hope you enjoy the reports, as I intend to keep writing them for months……have already decided that I’m not getting off. Next time you board look for the finger nail marks on the gang plank! Met a lady from Montreal last night who has been on for 3 months…..that suits me.

G’day Clarky….well after trying to buy the Greek Isles book at home, then checking out the airport bookshop to no avail….guess where I found it? Of course there it was waiting for me in the Spirits library this morning. It is now safely in my suite, and I should be ale to find some time tomorrow to take notes, so I can return it for others to read. Also got the DVD March of the Penguins which we hope to watch tonight.

Hi elroha…..I will hang over the side of the ship in Singapore and listen out for that Southern accent. We are in Suite 306 and would love to join you for dinner on the 3rd. Just give us a call when you settle in. I’m not quite sure which one is Vitor yet…still trying to learn all the names….maybe you could describe him?

So until next time

Bye from

Granny Lorr

Thanks, Granny!

It's wonderful to be able to enjoy your wonderful cruise with you and your husband. It's nice that all the ships are the same, so we all can identify where you are doing whatever you are doing! <G>

I belive the new Chief Purser is Andrew, from the UK. If it is and you should meet him (He was the Crew Purser on the Legend in Nov) please give him good wishes from Jane Pond from Philadelphia!

I hope a Pacific cruise is in my 'stars' for '07'

GrannyLorr,

Sounds like you are having a grand time and really getting into the Seabourn experience! I eagerly await your posts regarding your adventures ashore. As I posted earlier, I am considering thaking this cruise (or a segment therof) next year. Continue to enjoy your cruise!! :)

GrannyLorr,

Are Karl and LeAnne in the dining room. They are two of our absolute favorites from the Pride before they went to the Spirit.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventure.

McBoo:) :) :)

This is just super that you are writing of your adventures on your trip. We (BroInLaw, my DH) are really enjoying reading about your cruise. We are taking our first cruise ever in two weeks aboard the Legend, a 14-day Caribbean cruise, with my sister, Jane (Santa Ana) and our friend, Lynn. We are learning a lot from you -- what to expect, and what we can look forward to. Please keep posting, we love reading your well-written reports! :)

Taking your first cruise on the finest cruise line on the seas is the only way to go! McBoo's signature text above tells it exactly as it is. You are going to be pampered, spoiled and once the crew gets to know you, your needs will be anticipated and fufilled and your expectations exceeded!

You will be back on Seabourn and I bet you book that second cruise while onboard your first one and get the 5% onboard booking discount! My first Seabourn cruise was in 2002, a 19 day B2B Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands and Trans-Atlantic crossing on the Legend. Yes, I booked the Nov. 2003 Legend Trans-Atlantic while onboard. As a result of that fantastic 2002 cruise, I became hooked on Seabourn for life!

Have a BLAST on your Legend Caribbean cruise! Bon Voyage and best wishes for good weather, calm seas and happy sailings in search of adventure on the Seabourn Legend!!! :) :) :)

Thanks, PCH! We have been looking forward to this cruise for eight months, now. Only 2 weeks to go -- but who's counting? This is going to be the trip of a lifetime for my DH and myself.

He is Daniel and is from Malaysia, and his brother Ben is also there.

Hi Granny

Great to read your posts! Have you tried to post any photos yet?

Ben and Dan are great. Ben, in particular, could not have been kinder to me and always anticipates your wishes before you've even thought of wishing them. Please say Hi from me - tell him Norman Fisher - I kept trying to get him to call me by my first name but their training is too ingrained. Get Ben to tell you his real name, not the anglicised version. I always tried to call him by his real name.

Please also give Crina, one of the Asst Pursers, a hug from me if she is on board and tell her she owes me an email!

Have a great time!!

I learned one expression, for sure, from the Aussies when I have sailed before with Seabourn . . . I'm a "sticky-beak" . . . see all, know all . . . we're looking forward to having dinner with ya'll (that's you and "hubby") on the 3rd and will call you after lifeboat drill (in which, by-the-way, you don't have to participate again, lucky duck) . . . keep up the float and see you soon . . . elroha :p :p :p

CC 4

Well what a sad day it was yesterday. We didn’t win Trivia. We are still leading over all, but not by much. We think the questions were rigged yesterday, in favour of those who had done a lot of African travel! Seems none of our team have been to Africa, must remedy that before our next cruise! Yes, there is no longer any doubt that there WILL be a next cruise, just not too sure when it will be. Hubby is having a wonderful time, and agrees with me, that we have no reason to ever look at another cruise line.

Last night we dined on Doctor Gorski’s table. I think at first he was a bit overwhelmed, poor man. There was one couple from England on the table, and the rest of us were Aussies! By the end of the night, after the shell shock had worn off, Dr Gorski seemed a lot more relaxed. His lovely Nurse is from SouthAfrica, and my husband sat next to her, I think he even tried to behave himself for most of the night.

After dinner we went off to the Amudsen Lounge, to see Preston Coe do his first performance. Another very talented young man. With him and Matthew Bown on board, we should have some great entertainment nights. The highlight of the show was “The Sisters Grimm”. Has anyone seen that? Trevor and Matthew were dressed as Nuns and ~performed~ “How do you solve a problem like Maria” from The Sound of Music. It was so hilarious. Somehow I must convince them to do that act again during this cruise. I really need to video tape it.

We ended the night with a couple of drinks in the Club.

I completely missed the arrival in Darwin this morning, could have slept for hours if hubby wasn’t so anxious to get down to the breakfast buffet. Quite a wet day in Darwin today, but that is to be expected, as after all it is still the “wet season”. Darwin really only has two seasons wet or dry! It wasn’t as hot as I had expected but I’m sure a lot of those coming here from their winter, will feel the heat. Seabourn arranged a shuttle service back and forth to town, so a few people, including us took advantage of that and just went to do a bit of shopping. I bought a “cocktail” book, so I can make better decisions when asked what I want to drink! Most people have gone off to see “jumping crocodiles”, so the ship is very quiet. Almost lunch time………does the food ever stop on these ships? Would you believe that I have almost had “enough” champagne. Not that I have had more than a couple of glasses each day…..but I have never had THAT much before! Don’t usually drink anything but water during the week……oh Seabourn is corrupting me!

At 1.30pm 5 buses arrived to take us all on the “Seabourn Experience” excursion. First stop was the Darwin Museum, which was quite good, and air-conditioned! There was a big display about Cyclone Tracy, which almost wiped out Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974. The whole city had to be evacuated. There was also a lot of aboriginal art to see and lots of stuffed birds, animals, snakes etc. Next we were taken for the “Cultural Show”. Getting from the Museum to where the show was going to be held was quite uncomfortable. The air-conditioning in our bus died! Luckily it was only a 10 minute trip, but we were all dripping by the time we got there. There was a table of “aboriginal” food to try, but not one witchetty grub in sight! I had been looking forward to getting photos of Americans chewing on our famous grubs, not that I would eat them. Also wasn’t any vegemite anywhere. I tried to convince one bloke that one of the plates contained “koala balls” but he had already been told they were buffalo balls. We then had a display of aboriginal dancing and didgeridoo playing. The performers were not professionals, just a group from one of the Tiwi Island tribes. They were quite funny, arguing amongst themselves in their own language, as to what dance they were going to do. One bloke kept grabbing the microphone and saying “I’ve been to America”. Later my husband and I discussed what a scary trip that must have been for him. The group were very primitive people, still living their natural lifestyle and the thought of any of them undertaking such a trip was mind boggling.

Back to the ship in time for afternoon tea, then to the Sky Bar for the “Sail Away Party” As we were leaving Darwin, we saw two illegal Indonesian fishing boats being escorted in by one of our patrol boats. The fishing boats were just two lumps of rusted metal, amazing how they were still floating. They will most likely be destroyed in Darwin.

The seas all night have been getting rockier and this morning there is quite a big swell out there. Seems I won’t be suffering with sea sickness, should have some sign of it by now. Its going to be a challenge, though walking across to the Veranda Cafe for breakfast.

We now have 5 sea days to look forward too. Its amazing how some people don’t read much about the cruise they are going on. A couple were complaining to us yesterday, that they were bored already. (Only got on in Cairns) They like to go into Ports every day! They also thought they were going to Indonesia. I told them I was notified last year that we weren’t going to Indonesia! Don’t think we will sit with them for lunch on the 5th sea day!

Almost time for breakfast.

So until next time

Bye from GrannyLorr

I will read all the replies off line, then answer them next ime I log on

Archived