Granny at Sea

GrannyLorr

We loved reading your latest entry on the thread about your current cruise. Please keep it up, we are learning a lot from you about our first Seabourn cruise, coming up in only 13 days! (Oboy!) What are people wearing for meals in the Verandah Cafe? I'm curious about the mode of dress there. Make it a wonderful day!

Hi Granny,

It is great to hear that you are enjoying Seabourn as much as the rest of us. I always say there are no strangers on Seabourn, just friends you haven't yet met, so here are two more for you to find. We have two friends onboard with you from England, Mac & Mary McGlone, you will not be able to miss them as Mac is VERY tall and Mary is VERY small, with silver hair. They are a wonderful couple who we met on Seabourn years ago. If you want to wind them up a little tell Mary that you have heard her favorite drink is a Cosmopolitan or THREE!!!! Please give them our love and tell them we wish we were there!!

Also please say hi to Michal he is Assistant Maitre'D who came over from the Legend, hope he is settling in to his new job.

Please keep up the good work with your posts, it brightens up a frosty morning here in England!

Kathryn & Brian Askham

Granny,

You are having way too much fun! I am so jealous I want to be there now.

We did the Hong Kong to Mumbai a few years ago on the Spirit as "Virgins" to Seabourn and have never left our favorite cruise line. Your journals are much fun to read and certainly reminds one of their first experience on this accomodating, service oriented, friendly ship(s).

When we were in Hong Kong we had a drink at the Intercontinental. They had a special "Year of the Dragon" drink menu featuring 10 different drinks. They gave me a menu as a keepsake. I boarded the Spirit and met Dragon, the bartender, at the Skybar. We went through the collector's drink menu trying a new drink every day and then rating them 1 - 10. He photocopied the menu and put it on file for our next adventure on Seabourn. Seeing that you bought a 'cocktail' book reminded me of that incident.

Continue to enjoy and don't stop posting! Thank you too, for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated.

Gotta love those witchetty grubs. Had 'em in soup and roasted! Never tried them with champagne though. And never a photo!

Glad you are having such a good time. Five sea days and a new cocktail book while cruising along on Seabourn. Sounds like trouble!! :D :D

Enjoy!

Granny,

We're depending on you to keep up the lookout for pirates during the passage through the Spice Islands! Hope you and Grandpappy are having a great time! I nearly booked the last leg (Alexandria - Civitavecchia) but work has been crazy ... hopefully you will take a rain check. Keep up the good work at trivia!

johnny

Well its rather difficult to keep track of days now, but it seems it is already Sunday! I don’t believe we have been on the ship for a whole week. At this rate our cruise will be over before we are ready to go!

I wasn’t going to mention Trivia for a few days, as we had a rather bad run the last couple of days. Yesterday we were beaten by ONE lousy question. However today we redeemed ourselves again and won……we are now in the lead by 90 points. Todays prize was a Seabourn luggage strap. Trivia has been transferred from the Horizon Lounge to the Club. We were one team member down today; she preferred to have a “facial” than to be loyal to her team! I don’t think that is very sportsman like, you shouldn’t let your team down like that….then again we lost the last two games with her on the team….so maybe……….

At the moment we are sailing past Timor, I keep looking out for pirates, but so far no luck there. If any pirates do show themselves in these waters, I hope they give me plenty of warning……I need to get my camera acclimatised first…the humidity is playing havoc with cameras. I haven’t been able to do any video filming at all….the minute I turn on the video, it goes into panic mode and flashes and beeps at me.

I’m not sure if I mentioned in another post, our decision to take over the Management of the entertainers? We have already informed them of this decision. Of course we would have to have free cruises to carry out this most important job. Everyone has heard of Il Divo, well Trevor, Matthew and Preston will be named Il Deviates!

Last night there was a medical emergency just outside the Restaurant. We don’t really know, but suspect that the lady involved had a fall. She was elderly and the ship was rolling quite a lot. The crew flew into action, and hopefully the lady hasn’t been too badly hurt. We did wonder though, what on earth would happen if there was a very serious accident or illness. We were about 30hours North of Darwin, and 4 days away from our next Port, which wouldn’t be a good choice for a medical emergency anyway. The only other choice would be somewhere in Indonesia, still not a real good choice!

Yesterday we went to a Port lecture, covering the next three ports. Our excursion in Kuching has had a time change; we will be leaving at 11.30am. This will get us to the Orang-utan Sanctuary in time for feeding. That way we are almost sure to see the animals. We have been assured that we won’t miss out on lunch (not like missing a few meals would do any of us any harm!) Seabourn will provide an early “brunch” for us, and then there will be a snack platter sent to our suites when we return! Then of course there will be the sail away party followed very shortly by dinner!

Now to answer some questions.

Norm, I have been eating up my internet time very quickly, so find it easier to just post my pics in the Blog page. They upload quite quickly so I will try to post some every few days. I passed on your good wishes to Daniel at lunch today, and he said he would tell Ben you said hello. Daniel says it’s a pleasure to have us on board as we are very easy to please! I suppose he says that to everyone but it was nice to hear anyway. We are still trying to learn names of passengers and crew, although an awful lot already seem to know who we are! I haven’t been to the Pursers office yet, but will pass your message to Crina when I see her.

Elroha…..I will try to get lots of pics of all the victims at the life boat drill!

McBoo…..Karl is still here, and I must say he is already one of my favourites….and sooooooooo handsome! Oh to be just a few decades younger! I asked about LeAnne, this morning, but was told she left three weeks ago.

I am starting to get very cheeky now and asking the crew their names and where they are from. I feel very guilty that the all know who we are, and I don’t know their names.

So this morning I learnt……Vuko from Serbia……another real cute one! And Erik from The Netherlands. I don’t think I am doing very well for a whole week! Oh there is Wolfgang, would have to be from Germany…and Jasmine…..don’t know where from yet.

Well until next time

Bye from

GrannyLorr

GrannyLorr,

Thank you for the wonderful blog. Glad to here that Karl is still onboard. He is just fabulous. Please say hi to him from Bobby and Ollie. Hopefully LeAnn will join your cruise a little later on. She is a wonderfully young lady.

mcboo:) :) :) :)

Granny,

Am green with envy over your colorful tales of our favorite sister. Can't get back on until September -- seems like an eternity. Karl is the charming maitre d and Vitor is the extremely efficient hotel manager ( start watching him watching his watch timing everything and everyone) -- nothing on Seabourn happens by accident -- years of top flight training and hiring only the best. So glad to find a report of a "virgin" who feels the way those of us who have been around the decks a few times feel.Just be careful -- it is a short trip from virgn to addict! Keep up the great reports and good luck on trivia!!!

We have woken to a very wet day here in the Java Sea. It’s a shame as we were supposed to be having a deck BBQ tonight. I was looking forward to that, and being able to get lots of photos, but will have to wait till next time. They are holding the bbq in the Veranda but I think it will be too crowded for us. Might even have an early night and Room Service. We haven’t really spent much time in the Sky Bar, as we have found it too hot, prefer the indoors with the air-conditioning!

I must say we have now got fantastic entertainers on board! The Aussie bloke who started in Cairns, and left in Darwin, was a bit of a disaster. However we have now got Martin Lass, a violinist (also an Aussie of course) Well I suppose I should admit he was born in Chicago…..BUT lived most of his life in Australia. The Seabourn Herald, stated that he now lives in New York, but he told us later, that he has actually moved back to Sydney.

The evening started with an “Epicurean Extravaganza”, in the Main Foyer, champagne and lots of treats from around the World. We couldn’t even look at any more food than just the three meals per day! This was followed by Preston Coes “debut”. He actually sang a couple of numbers a few days ago, but this was his first “Concert”. Wow what a fantastic voice. Preston performed Orbison, and Presley, and then ended with Bocelli and Pavarotti! He was really good, and hubby and I started a standing ovation for him. We then went to dinner, and sat at a table for 6. Two of our table mates were from Montana, and the other couple, when they heard our name, said “we were wondering when we were going to meet GrannyLorr” They were Darlene and Bill from Vancouver, better known in CC as Two4Sea. We had a great evening, enjoying the Chefs Market Dinner and a lot of laughs. Even had Chef Markus drop by our table later, and we were able to drag the recipe of “white tomato soup” from him! Well maybe not the actual recipe…but how you get the tomato flavour without it being “red”.

After dinner we went to the Amundsen Lounge for Matin Lass’ concert. What a brilliant performer he is. I had heard him years ago on Australian TV, but was probably in the days before I appreciated such beautiful music. Unfortunately he is only going to be giving one more performance, then leaving the ship in Singapore. Later Preston and Martin joined hubby and I for drinks in the Club, and Marin invited us to join him for dinner, night after next…..but we have already made dinner arrangements with another couple for that night. Maybe he will invite us again before he leaves the ship. We didn’t get to bed until almost 1am! That’s our latest night so far. Martin has his CD’s for sale, so will get one for our grandkids, who both learn violin. Maybe after hearing the CD they might agree to practice a bit more!

The performers in the Club each night are Colin and Simone. Their music is very enjoyable too, not too loud and overpowering, as you quite often find.

Hubby said he has seen the lady who had the fall outside the Restaurant the other night, so seems she is ok.

We wont say too much about Trivia again today, except that Granny was able to answer another question that no one else had a clue about, and we are still ~sightly~ in the lead. I think we will only have 2 more Trivia days before we reach Singapore. Most people seem to be disembarking in Singapore, so will have to find a whole new team.

I have posted some photos of on board the Seabourn Spirit, in my Blog page. If anyone would like to see photos of any part of the ship in particular, let me know and I will see what I can do

Just looked at the latest pics, think I have resized them too much, will make them bigger next time.

Granny,

Thank you for the update and I'm pleased that things are going so well for you both.

I have a question about your suite. Is it all that you expected it to be and what use have you made so far of your balcony?

Wayne

Hi Granny

i just love your postings, the way you tell it as you see it, makes me smile!

have you managed to avoid the couple who like to be port every day?

please keep posting as i am really enjoying them

thanks

deb

GrannyLorr--Please give Karl a big smooch on both cheeks (facial ones, that is) from the California Tierneys. We followed Karl and his well-deserved promotions while on the Pride. He always greeted us as if he had seen us just the day before and we knew we were again "home." Do give him my best; I hope to sail with him soon again.

Winnie

It seems GrannyLorr is having some computer problems on board not sure if it is the wireless or her Laptop that is giving her problems.

She has asked me to let everyone know she will be posting as soon as its all fixed.....so stay tuned !!

I am so far behind in my reports, as the internet has been down for a few days. I won’t be able to write ~everything~ that has happened…….but will try to remember most.

This Report is even further behind now, I’m starting to get very cranky about the lack of internet…I can’t even remember now when I was last able t connect. The internet has only worked for about half of the two weeks cruise. Every day I keep getting the excuse “it will be working tomorrow, they are doing maintenance” I haven’t been able to contact family or friends for ages.

Three Days Ago………(much longer than 3 days ago now)

WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON

Yes we are now known as Trivia Champions. Yesterday was the last day of Trivia for this part of the cruise. At the moment we are heading towards Malacca, and will get there in another hour or so. We were told last night that there are only 32 people staying on the ship after Singapore. Luckily only 2 from our Trivia Team will be leaving….the others leave in Dubai, so we will have to form a new team then.

I haven’t been able to get an Internet connection for a few days. Oh yes, what wonderful prize did we win? Well I was expecting at least a World Cruise, but no….it was a Seabourn Tote bag…..will have to go buy stuff now to fill it!

Well we thoroughly enjoyed the 5 sea days; don’t get any long stretches like that for the rest of the cruise. I think the longest will be 3 days. The seas have been extremely kind to us for our first ever cruise. We passed Singapore just after dinner last night, the lights looked beautiful, but we were too far from shore to be able to take photos. We will be back in Singapore in a couple of days so hopefully I will be able to get a couple of pics then.

Yesterday we had our “Galley Lunch”…what a feast! I did take lots of photos then, so when I get time to resize them, I will put some in my blog. For those who haven’t had a “Galley Lunch”, just name any type of food you can think of and you will find it….all displayed in the Galley. The first was fondue, just a small snack while you passed on to the next area…..then they started on the salads, dozens of them…plus sushi….crab meat in avocado , prawns (or as you call it, Jumbo shrimp), other fish, salmon, and they still have a supply of our Moreton Bay bugs. Bugs are a shellfish, similar to a crab, and everyone on board seems to have gone mad on them! There was also a display of just breads…name it you could have it….another of just cheeses, then chocolates, then pastas….then roast meats, turkey and beef, then vegetables and dozens of warming trays that I didn’t even bother to look in, as my plate was already full! We then went back into the Restaurant, and there was a dessert table. Guess where we sat? Well lets just say I didn’t have far to walk to the desserts. However by the time I finished what was on my plate, there wasn’t much room left for dessert! Think I will start at that table next time. I did manage some Baked Alaska, a chocolate brownie and some summer pudding……next time I will try some others!

Last night we had the Captains Reception where he spoke about the cruise, and said thank you and good bye to those who would be leaving in Singapore. This was followed by another Formal night and on the Menu was “Lobster, Lobster, Lobster” Didn’t have to think about what to order very long at all!

After dinner was another concert by Martin Lass the violinist. He is so brilliant, it’s a shame he will be leaving the ship so soon. We bought one of his cd’s for our grandchildren, who both play violin, and he signed it for them. It may be a long way beyond their simple tunes at the moment, but I thought their music teacher might enjoy it.

We ended the evening in the Sky Bar watching the lights of Singapore as we passed by and chatting with a few of our “new found friends”. It will be sad to see some of the people leave in a couple of day’s time. The traffic on the Malacca Straits has been almost as busy as a highway, but not one pirate in sight!

Well since I wrote the last piece, we have had a day in Malacca. We did the “Plantation Tour”

When we woke this morning we were anchored off Malacca. We ordered room service for breakfast so we wouldn’t have to rush so much, and I don’t know if I made the mistake filling out the room service form, or if the kitchen made the mistake…..but everything we ordered had been DOUBLED! I got FOUR boiled eggs…John got FOUR poached eggs plus all the other bits and pieces. Have to be more careful next time I order something!

The ships tenders weren’t used today to take us ashore. We are anchored a mile off Malacca, so they used local tenders which could take a lot more at a time. We went on the Plantation Tour which first took us to a fishing village for a photo stop .Next we went onto a Rubber Plantation and learnt how to tap the trees etc. The owner gave out seeds of rubber trees for people to take home, but we had to refuse, as we would end up in jail for taking anything like that back home! As we boarded the bus we were given cold bottles of water and cold towels. Next stop was a Palm oil plantation but all we really saw were the trees from the bus! Wasn’t quite what I was expecting. We were allowed to get off the bus and look at the palm trees….but…..It was nice to see a bit of the countryside, but the tour guide had very poor English, and we really didn’t have much clue what he was saying. I don’t like to criticise someone’s lack of language skills, when ours is non existent, but they really need to use people with better English. Got back to the City, and were given 20 minutes to look at a couple of historic buildings. We were then taken back to the jetty, and told out tour still had 40 minutes to go, so we could go look at other stuff on our own! Most people headed straight back to the tender, and back to the ship. We went for a little walk to try to buy some souvenirs, but there was nothing in that area that we wanted. I wish now we had just gone on our own for the whole day. As we were driving along I saw some fantastic fabric shops….but didn’t have time to try to find them again. Headed back to the jetty to catch the tender, and were really surprised to see one of our young waiters, with a table set up with cold drinks, fruit punch etc. It was a lovely Seabourn touch!

I don’t think I have written about our day in Borneo either….that was last Thursday.

Well after 5 days at sea, which we thoroughly enjoyed, today at 6am we reached Kuching, Borneo. We went up to the top deck early to watch the ship docking etc. Then it was off for a nice long breakfast, as our tour didn’t leave till 11.15am. We were very surprised we didn’t have to go through any sort of Customs check either getting off or getting on the ship. We drove out into he country side, to a village of “longhouses” All the homes are built above ground, and all joined together with bamboo walkways…..it was very hard to walk on, and I kept thinking I was going to fall through! There were big gaps in the bamboo, and safety standards aren’t the best in Malaysia. We weren’t allowed to take photos of the people, as they believe a camera can steal your soul. There were cats everywhere, so of course I had to pick one up……poor skinny kitty, was very friendly….probably not the smartest thing to do, but I was having a “senior moment” and didn’t even think of animal diseases.

Next we went to the orang-utan sanctuary…. They live in the rain forest, and mostly collect their own food…….but some come down to platforms to be fed. Just before 3pm. We started to see a few of the trees bending and swaying. Saw a couple of mothers and babies, just in the rainforest, then went to the feeding platform…a HUGE male orang-utan came down….never seen anything so big…he is the local dominant male, the keepers wont go near him. His name is Richie and has been at the Sanctuary for nearly 30years, he was rescued from a poacher when he was 3 years old.

We all nearly died of heat exhaustion today, we just dripped and our clothes were soaking wet by the time we got back to the ship.

I have just put my photos on the computer and are very disappointed with the orang-utan ones……we weren’t allowed to use flashes…..and the quality is very poor…..…I’m sure I will never get back here again.

We missed lunch today because we left at 11.15am…..they did put on a special brunch for us, but was too soon after breakfast. We were starving by the time we got back, but there were platters in our room with cheese, biscuits, fruit, cakes, and a sandwich. We were still hungry so ordered room service of cheeseburgers, fries and beer….of course then we didn’t want dinner!

We have just returned from the Veranda Café, where we had our last lunch for this part of the cruise. Matin Lass joined us, and he told us he would be performing on a Crystal cruise in a couple of week’s time……I suppose we will have some new entertainers arrive tomorrow.

We have rather become creatures of habit, when it comes to meals on this ship….nearly every morning we have breakfast in the Restaurant…Lunch is always in the Veranda…and dinner always in the Restaurant again We have only had one dinner in the Veranda and have only had one lunch in the Restaurant.

Tonight we will be dining with 4 new friends who are all leaving the ship tomorrow. There will be Gene and Suzanne from Minnesota, and Gene and Sonny from San Francisco. Some of you may know the San Francisco Gene, as he used to work for Seabourn.

Well I think that about brings me up to date

So until next time

Bye from Granny

Well we have been and gone from Singapore now, still no Internet…and same excuses. All new people boarded yesterday, so have to learn a lot of new names, even a lot of the crew have changed. Had dinner with elroha last night, think she said she has cruised with Seabourn 32 times!

Hopefully this internet problem will be sorted out today…….

Sounds like a wonderful, if filling, cruise.

I know some of the exotic places just don't get enough English speaking tourists to have top notch tour guides and, at other times, they just don't have much in the way of facilities to really show off what you want to see. But, when you return, you will still be able to say, "I saw X. It wasn't perfect, but it still was pretty cool that I was there."

Sorry about the internet. I know there have been problems with the new BGAN satellite and there was an announcement in the industry that they needed to reboot the satellite, so there have been some real interruptions in the Pacific/Indian Ocean areas. That has nothing to do with Seabourn and has been a bit troublesome for the maritime industry. It should be settling out now. (Don't call me Boatman for nuthin'!;) )

Keep 'em coming. I love reading your adventure.

Thank you Granny for another very interesting report.

When we hadn't heard from you for so long I thought that you might have been so busy working your way through the cocktail book that you had forgotten everything else.

Continued smooth seas.

Wayne

Well hopefully I can stay connected a bit better now, so will answer some questions first…..

Firstly to Terra Firma……thanks for putting my message in…for those reading this thread….Terra Firma is my son, and I sent him a message from the computer room, asking him to notify everyone in CC of the problems I was having. I was getting very frustrated as I had spent so many hours getting everything on my lap top set up for this trip….then after a week of everything working well, I couldn’t get any Internet connections and I couldn’t keep up with the boards, Blogs etc. I will elaborate on the problems later.

Wayne…..your question concerning balconies…..we have used our balcony quite a lot…..we open the doors…stick our heads out….take a photo or two….then close the door again……at times it is great to be able to open the doors and stick our heads and cameras out….but unless we had been upgraded to this suite, I certainly wouldn’t pay the extra it costs……in the part of the World that we are travelling, it is very hot….so a closed door and air-conditioning is much preferred…..probably in a cooler climate, the balcony would be more useful. Maybe when we get closer to Europe and the heat dissipates a bit, we will use the “fresh air” a bit more. Tonight we have just sailed out of Penang, Malaysia…….we watched the sail away from our balcony….(we were supposed to sail at 6pm but were held up till 9pm)…..so I enjoyed having the balcony tonight…….most time……save the money and go up to the Sky Deck for sail aways etc..

Deb….are you the same Deb who wrote a comment into my Blog? If so, don’t worry at all about being on Seabourn alone…….there are a lot of single guests and they are always included in everything…..you would never have to dine alone unless you choose to. If you are not that same person……just forget what I said……the couple who expected a Port Call every day have gone……. But I think they did feel more relaxed by the end of their cruise……we didn’t actually avoid them……well yes….maybe we did…..

Winnie…..give a big smooch for Karl!!!!! No way……..I am going to take him home with me……well I was until I heard that he was 28 years old!!!

Well we have now been cruising for 2.5 weeks……until a couple of days ago we had no complaints at all……and I hate to write about “complaints”….but think the pros and cons all need to be spoken about.

My main complaint at the moment has been the Internet, as that is something that I had spent so much time before this cruise getting my computer and programs sorted out……

When we first embarked, I went to the computer room, and registered for the Internet….I subscribed for 8 hours….at around $167…….to me this is extremely expensive….but never having been on a ship before, decided it must be the ”going rate”…..so paid up………for one week everything worked well……I sent emails, posted in CC and also in my Blog…..then all of a sudden NOTHING…. I could not connect to the Internet……..I asked at the Pursers office, and was told “there was a problem, but I should be able to use the internet tomorrow” Each day I would try to log on….and couldn’t….each day I would ask at the Pursers office…and be told the same excuse……after a week of this, we asked that the Computer specialist be sent to our Suite…..he arrived…..looked at my computer….tried to connect…..then said it was a fault with my computer……he then brought his lap top to our suite, and said he could connect with no problem….still seemed a bit strange to me….so I asked if maybe I took my laptop to another part of the ship I may be able to connect? The Answer was still NO….it was a problem with my laptop……I was getting two different answers…..at the Pursers Office…I was told “there was a problem”…every day that I enquired…...the Computer specialist tried to tell us the problem had only been for ONE day…..In the end…we packed up my computer and hand delivered it to the Computer specialist……we gave him permission to do whatever he needed to get it working….at the end of the day we collected my computer from the Pursers Office…but there was no note or any information…..we still didn’t know if the internet should work….or if we should throw the lap top overboard! When we got back to our Suite, I tried again….and still no connection….. We finally got hold of the computer specialist, and he said my computer worked fine when he used it…….after a whole week, we finally found out that there was a problem on the ships internet….or at least this was the first time anyone had admitted to it….. We were then told to take the laptop to the Club bar…..and see if that would work….well yes it did…….but wasn’t that what I asked the “computer specialist”??? Could I maybe use the laptop in another part of the ship??? Wasn’t I told NO….the fault was in my computer?

OK….so at the moment I can carry my laptop to the Club….and send emails, post in CC etc……well I can live with that.

I HATE complaining as before this we had such positive things to say about the whole Seabourn experience.

I will write more tomorrow…..but also have to say, that tonight, after a day sightseeing in Penang, we didn’t really feel like getting dressed for dinner so ordered Room Service……we only ordered from the normal Room Service Menu….nothing special at all……we phoned the order at 9pm……had to make a second phone call, and finally got dinner at 11pm!!......pasta, steak, fries……..2 hours!!!

I hope my next report is more positive!

Next Day (Thursday 6th.)

Karl was very apologetic this morning over our Room Service problems last night…..we assured him it hadn’t been a matter of life and death.

Later today a waiter arrived at our door with a tray of caviar and all the trimmings to make up for the Room Service problems last night…..now we feel guilty for saying anything. Hubby says he will never complain about anything again!

Trivia has begun again for this cruise…..we have another two Aussies in our team. First day we were a dismal failure, but today we improved again, and are now the proud owners of two more bookmarks.

We are now into our second of three sea days…..we enjoy the extra time to relax and do nothing….but the hours still seem to go by too quickly!

Last night we dined with Professor Willis, the guest lecturer on board….he is really nice to talk to…..but unfortunately not all the guests on his table were so nice….twice now we have been on a table with the most pretentious bores I have ever come across….I suppose I have to admit they are also Aussies…..my poor husband was surrounded by two of them last night, I only had one up my end of the table, so was successfully able to ignore him all night. Luckily I had two really nice men to talk to, apart from Professor Willis…both were Lawyers!! Might have to rethink some of the Lawyer jokes! The one I spoke mostly to was from Florida, the other from DC.

After dinner we again had Mathew Browns show, it was the same show as we had seen on the last part of the cruise……but he is very good and we enjoyed his show again.

When we got back to our suite, a couple across from us had been locked out of their suite…..I told them it was because we had complained about all the loud parties they had been having! (They are both in their 80’s)…….we told them we would throw out a couple of pillows, and they could sleep on the carpet in the hall. Went to enter our suite…guess what…….we were locked out too! Would this mean another computer glitch on board? We now have ONE key that works, have to get another one some time today.

Now we have started on the second leg of our cruise, we are starting to know which crew members we should accept dinner invitations from, and which ones we shouldn’t. So far there is only one we would refuse a second invitation from, so I suppose that shows how good the majority of the crew are. This particular crew member arrived at the table 30 minutes late, and said he didn’t know if he was going to be able to make dinner, as he had been so busy……only thing to dispute that little tale, was that 30 minutes earlier we had been in The Club having a drink before dinner…..and so was this crew member……we left the Club just before 7.30 so we would be at the table at the correct time……then we all just waited, and waited….he wasn’t interesting to talk to either!

Well today I will try to get my Blog updated, the news will all be the same as in here, but I will try to post some pics……

So until next time

Bye from GrannyLorr

I am now in the Horizon Lounge...internet wont work in the Club today!!!!

Dear GrannyLorr!

I am new to this web site! Not new to Seabourn though. Sailed 216 days so far. I really enjoy reading your wonderful posts. I myself love being outdoors while on one of the Seabourn ships, so I would never go on the internet during a cruise. But of course when I'm at home, especially after having been on the Pride recently, it's nice to read everything you are willing to share with us. So please go on!

Would you please give my regards to Karl as well? And my husbands and my childrens? You don't have to mention my name; just say to him it has something to do with football and the German flag! Tell him we will be on the Spirit in July. I hope to cover him with a different flag then. (Maybe red-white and blue?).

And please also give my regards to prof. Willis. Did he get his luggage this time? If he didn't, it's a pity I wasn't there otherwise he could have borrowed some clothes of my husband. Though a little too big!

I think they will both know who I am. I love to be a little cryptic now and again.

Hope you will enjoy the rest of your cruise to the fullest"!

Hello, Granny. I'm glad you are having such a great time, even with the computer issues.

I am the Deb who posted through your blog. Thanks for letting me know about your take on singles cruising on Seaborn. In August, I will be taking my first cruise with this line.

I am concerned with the Internet problem, as I do need to stay in touch with my office. I do not use Blackberry, but I'm thinking about educating myself with this technology. Does anybody have any experience with Blackberry and cruising?

Keep having a great time, Granny! I keep watching for your posts.

Best regards,

Dlynne

Does anybody have any experience with Blackberry and cruising?

You may have a problem with a Blackberry. It uses regular mobile/cell services so unless the ship is reasonably close to land, ie within sight of an antenna, it won't be able to pick up emails. If your cruise in August is in the Med, you may be lucky.

You may have a problem with a Blackberry. It uses regular mobile/cell services so unless the ship is reasonably close to land, ie within sight of an antenna, it won't be able to pick up emails. If your cruise in August is in the Med, you may be lucky.

Norm,

If you use the Blackberry as a phone then yes, it works on a normal cell system,but most of us use it for email and then it works on gprs which is from a satellite and seems to work in most places

Archived