1st NCL cruise booked

RaiderFaninNM

On 11/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, RaiderFaninNM said:

Thanks, we honestly don't mind sharing a table, most, and I use that term lightly, most of the time it makes for great conversations 

I don’t mind sharing tables either.  I love meeting new people and find it refreshing conversation.  Whenever they ask…”do you mind sitting with someone else?”  I always say yes, enthusiastically.

EXCEPT….this was several years ago, I was seated with 5 different people (6 with me).  Two couples who didn’t know each other and another solo.  None of us had ever met before..  Everyone was having a grand time.  The other solo, after a bottle of wine, really started to pour his heart out.  He was probably in his mid 40s.  His GF had just broken up with him.  He had decided to take a cruise and “lick his wounds”.  He eventually became quite morbid about what he wanted to do to his ex-GF…to the point where I was stunned.

Then, he said he didn’t know if he should just “off himself” while on the cruise.

Our entire table tried to console him, but were mostly just stunned.

At that point, I got up to excuse myself and immediately let the maitre’ d know about the mental state of this man.

Within a few minutes, some crew (not exactly sure if they were security or medical personnel) met us as we were leaving the table.  They asked me to point to the man (which I thought was a little too obvious who reported the incident).  And, they calmly asked him to accompany them.

Surprisingly, he didn’t ask why, or offer resistance.  He just went with them.  Never saw him the rest of the cruise.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t mind sharing tables either.  I love meeting new people and find it refreshing conversation.  Whenever they ask…”do you mind sitting with someone else?”  I always say yes, enthusiastically.

EXCEPT….this was several years ago, I was seated with 5 different people (6 with me).  Two couples who didn’t know each other and another solo.  None of us had ever met before..  Everyone was having a grand time.  The other solo, after a bottle of wine, really started to pour his heart out.  He was probably in his mid 40s.  His GF had just broken up with him.  He had decided to take a cruise and “lick his wounds”.  He eventually became quite morbid about what he wanted to do to his ex-GF…to the point where I was stunned.

Then, he said he didn’t know if he should just “off himself” while on the cruise.

Our entire table tried to console him, but were mostly just stunned.

At that point, I got up to excuse myself and immediately let the maitre’ d know about the mental state of this man.

Within a few minutes, some crew (not exactly sure if they were security or medical personnel) met us as we were leaving the table.  They asked me to point to the man (which I thought was a little too obvious who reported the incident).  And, they calmly asked him to accompany them.

Surprisingly, he didn’t ask why, or offer resistance.  He just went with them.  Never saw him the rest of the cruise.

You may have saved the poor guy’s life.