Princess Visa statement credit

aimee0715

I have the Princess Visa card.  I've had it for several years now but tend to let points accumulate.  I saw that you can get a statement credit if you use the card for purchases with Princess.  Last month I paid for an upcoming cruise with the card.  First of all, I did not get 2x the points for the Princess purchase.  I checked the website to see if that has changed and it has not.  Next I check to see what statement credit would amount to.  If I am reading it correctly, for an $1,113 purchase, I can get a 1.25% statement credit.  So, $13.91.  It is not clear to me how many points I would be redeeming to get the $13.91.  When I click on statement credit on the list of redemptions, it says I have no purchases from the last 180 days that are eligible for statement credit.  I'm clearly going to have to call them but I am just curious what others' experiences have been with getting a statement credit. 

It seems that I definitely should have redeemed earlier for a Princess gift card which I could have applied as a payment on my cruise.  

Please clarify. When you used your Princess Visa card to pay for your upcoming cruise, have you received and paid that billing statement?

Points earned are not usually credited till the billing statement is generated and it should clearly show points earned for each individual transaction. For a $1113 transaction on Princess, you should earn 2226 ‘points’ toward redemptions since you are suppose to earn 2x points. I get the feeling your points earned have not been credited yet since you state you are receiving message no purchases from last 180 days eligible for statement credit.

Call your credit card company and hopefully they will be able to clarify what points you have and should earn and how to redeem for statement credit.

1. You state you've had the Princess (assuming Barclay's) credit card for several years now so you should know what they offer. Is your credit card not Barclay's?

2. Currently they do offer double points if using their credit card for Princess purchases.

ETA: Double points only apply toward Princess purchases. If you used the credit card for another cruise line it's 1:1.

Edited by cheetosrevil

The following is the list of percentages that are available to use as statement credits.  As can be seen using points for Princess purchases over $4000 yield the best results.  You had a purchase of $1113 meaning that you have a 1.25%.  This means that you will get a reduction of $1.25 for every 100 points you spend.  You would need about 90,000 to totally pay for your purchase.

image.thumb.png.87ff3c88e6797ae92e6eb098d3ce7161.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

We paid for our princess cruise using the Barclays Princess Visa.  When we received the monthly statement, it didn't double the the points for the Princess Cruise purchase.  I called the customer service number for the Barclays Princess Visa and they corrected the error.  It was very easy.

Redeeming points is somewhat confusing.  The value of points increases based upon a single purchase from Princess Cruises within 6 months of redemption.  The most is a 2 times "premium" for a $4000 Princess Cruise charge within 6 months.  Pretty sweet, we got two times the points for the Princess Cruise purchase and then a two times premium for redeeming the points within 6 months of the purchase.  I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wallyj said:

Please clarify. When you used your Princess Visa card to pay for your upcoming cruise, have you received and paid that billing statement?

Points earned are not usually credited till the billing statement is generated and it should clearly show points earned for each individual transaction. For a $1113 transaction on Princess, you should earn 2226 ‘points’ toward redemptions since you are suppose to earn 2x points. I get the feeling your points earned have not been credited yet since you state you are receiving message no purchases from last 180 days eligible for statement credit.

Call your credit card company and hopefully they will be able to clarify what points you have and should earn and how to redeem for statement credit.

Yes, that charge for paying off my Princess cruise is on on my last statement  which i have received and paid.  The Princess Cruises charge was $1,113 and it shows I received 1,113 points.  I will call them about correcting that.

14 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

The following is the list of percentages that are available to use as statement credits.  As can be seen using points for Princess purchases over $4000 yield the best results.  You had a purchase of $1113 meaning that you have a 1.25%.  This means that you will get a reduction of $1.25 for every 100 points you spend.  You would need about 90,000 to totally pay for your purchase.

image.thumb.png.87ff3c88e6797ae92e6eb098d3ce7161.png

image.png

image.png

This is very helpful information!  I totally did not understand how the statement credit calculation worked based on what I read on the website.  Now I do.  I have only redeemed points one time before and it was for onboard credit, which was much more straight forward.  

16 hours ago, Donwoods123 said:

We paid for our princess cruise using the Barclays Princess Visa.  When we received the monthly statement, it didn't double the the points for the Princess Cruise purchase.  I called the customer service number for the Barclays Princess Visa and they corrected the error.  It was very easy.

Redeeming points is somewhat confusing.  The value of points increases based upon a single purchase from Princess Cruises within 6 months of redemption.  The most is a 2 times "premium" for a $4000 Princess Cruise charge within 6 months.  Pretty sweet, we got two times the points for the Princess Cruise purchase and then a two times premium for redeeming the points within 6 months of the purchase.  I hope that makes sense.

Donwoods, May I ask if you booked your cruise directly with Princess or through a travel agent?  I use a travel agent.  The Barclays representative is telling me that even though I have a charge from Princess Cruise Lines on my credit card statement, I am not eligible for statement credit because I booked the cruise through a travel agent.  

Directly through Princess through our Princess Vacation Planner (or whatever name they are using now).   

I would ask for a supervisor.  I am unaware of anything that disqualifies a Princess purchase from getting double points if you use a TA.

Good luck

We have used points for a statement credit to pay for our Princess cruises (like was mentioned the best deal is to use for minimum of 4000.00 which you need about 200,000 points to pay for the whole 4000.00 charge).  We always book through a travel agent but as long as the charge is to Princess then you get double points.  The Princess rewards is confusing for sure.  None of the customer service folks at Barclays understand how it works unfortunately so try to use the website to redeem points.  

2 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

The Barclays representative is telling me that even though I have a charge from Princess Cruise Lines on my credit card statement, I am not eligible for statement credit because I booked the cruise through a travel agent.  

That is incorrect.  We always use a travel agent, and as yet have not had a problem in receiving double points.

The double points are not the issue at this point.  They agreed to fix that.  The issue is that the charge to Princess Cruises for $1,113 is not on the list of transactions within the last 180 days for which I could request a statement credit.  They say that I'm not eligible to redeem my points for a statement credit because I did not book directly with Princess, I booked with a TA.  They say it does not matter that the charge to my card is directly to Princess.  I asked them to send me this policy in writing.  She said that would take 30 days.  I researched other posts about troubles with this card and found people had success by getting Princess involved.  I'm going to try that today.  

I checked my Princess Visa account online today.  When I checked the reward center and selected "statement credit,"  my cruise showed up on the list of eligible purchases.  I decided to check my points to see if the issue of my not getting double points for my Princess Cruise purchase had been rectified.  My points balance had increased and I was able to do the math and confirm that they had added another 1,113 points.  That issue was resolved.  I went back to the rewards center and found that I no longer had any transactions eligible for statement credit. 🤔 I tried logging out and back in several times throughout the day but had no luck.  Finally, on my last attempt, the cruise purchase reappeared on the statement credit screen. I immediately clicked "redeem."  I was able to redeem 60,000 points for a $750 statement credit.  This was quite the experience.  I think I'll redeem my remaining points on a gift card and just be done with Princess Visa.   

I'm new to this Princess Visa stuff having just gotten one due to the promise of $200 statement credit if I spend a designated amount within 90 days.  But this statement credit sounds like a pain.  Can I simply redeem the points for a Princess Gift Card and then have it applied at Guest Services as onboard credit when I board?  This seems like a much easier way to use the credit.