Life at Sea Three Year World Cruise Cancelled

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

yep, this is Fyre festival at sea. and if you watch the documentary on Netflix, there were plenty of red flags leading up to the trip to cause a reasonable person to have doubts. And still thousands of people flew down to the Bahamas with no festival to go to and nowhere to stay. Somehow common sense goes out the window when someone wants badly enough for it to be true. 

So true!  So many people just don't read things carefully, or at all.  Many cruisers are aware of the fact that cruiseships are no longer welcome in Venice.  NCL just listed 'Venice (Trieste)'' on my Epic cruise last month.  Trieste is TWO HOURS from Venice.  I'm not sure that NCL made much of an effort to let pax know.    We met some people a week into the cruise who a) didn't know that and b) had air booked from Venice the day we disembarked.  Panic ensued.  I was astonished that anyone would be so casual about the details.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Life at Sea Three Year World Cruise Cancelled
On 11/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

well... curise plan already had option to pay only 1 or upto 3 months in advance... hope most were smarter to pay as they go and have only small amount stuck in there...

people who sold houses, i hope they did to invest those monies someplace else and pay for cruise from profits....

excellent idea of 3 years cruise.... I hope some stable cruise company actually make it happen by relaunching with ship ready to sail.

10 minutes ago, kiwicruiser48 said:

well... curise plan already had option to pay only 1 or upto 3 months in advance... hope most were smarter to pay as they go and have only small amount stuck in there...

My friends who booked said they had to pay 6 months in advance, not 3. I think once you do that deposit, you can then pay one month at a time as long as you maintain 6 months paid for. At least that's what they told me.

people who sold houses, i hope they did to invest those monies someplace else and pay for cruise from profits....

And at least one person who was interviewed said they sold their house *at a loss*. SMH

excellent idea of 3 years cruise.... I hope some stable cruise company actually make it happen by relaunching with ship ready to sail.

I really wanted to do this cruise, but I have a dog, 3 cats, and a job so it just didn't make sense. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

My friends who booked said they had to pay 6 months in advance, not 3. I think once you do that deposit, you can then pay one month at a time as long as you maintain 6 months paid for. At least that's what they told me.

And at least one person who was interviewed said they sold their house *at a loss*. SMH

I really wanted to do this cruise, but I have a dog, 3 cats, and a job so it just didn't make sense. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

same here...

I was already thinking of retiring once reach forties... and what could be better way to start other than cruising for 3 years....

but property market at NZ was bad so thought of seeing how this one goes and join the next cruise line bringing the similar thing...  hopefully Princess.

21 hours ago, kiwicruiser48 said:

but property market at NZ was bad so thought of seeing how this one goes and join the next cruise line bringing the similar thing...  hopefully Princess.

Yes! I hope some cruise line does come up with a long cruise like this for a fair price.

• 1 month later...

Wow, so many people sold everything to finance this 3 year trip! Now many have no money left and nowhere to live. It will be years before some folks see any refunds and most will never be made whole. What a tragedy. I do think it was a gamble and maybe even criminal behavior on the part of the company offering the cruise. Shameful. 

https://www.aol.com/life-sea-passengers-call-criminal-023252949.html

CNN has done some investigative reporting and reveals even more of what was happening behind the scenes while the company was getting ready to launch the cruise. Also, Miray Cruises says they will launch the 3-year cruise in 2024! Who in their right mind would sign up with them after all the crap they pulled and lies they told?!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/how-the-three-year-cruise-fell-apart/index.html

7 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

CNN has done some investigative reporting and reveals even more of what was happening behind the scenes while the company was getting ready to launch the cruise. Also, Miray Cruises says they will launch the 3-year cruise in 2024! Who in their right mind would sign up with them after all the crap they pulled and lies they told?!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/how-the-three-year-cruise-fell-apart/index.html

No question, this is the best example of stupid I've ever heard of.  It's hard to understand how some people get through life without working brains.  How could anyone think that this little adventure would ever happen.  Sad.  

I don't think it's a very good example of stupid tbh. I see it as a very good example of how people get in trouble because of the sunk cost fallacy. At some point, it should have been clear that the whole thing wouldn't work and they should have given everyone their money back and taken longer to work through all the issues. But they kept thinking "I'll just do this one more thing and it will all get back on track."

It reminds me a bit of Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes. I'm sure that enterprise started as a real dream she had but it sure didn't end that way and at some point, probably when the lies started, she should have closed up shop and moved on.

What I thought was hysterical about this situation though is that Miray claim the 3-year tour will happen after all -- Nov 1, 2024! I mean, who would give Miray money at this point? It's not that they couldn't make it work. It's the lies. They told so many. How could you trust them?