Balcony door locking

Cruiser2star

Sailing for the first time on VV/Scarlet Lady next month.  Stupid question but I have researched and just don’t “get it”.  When on the balcony I am aware I need to close and lock the door so the a/c stays on in the room…but won’t I be locked out then?   What if my roomie leaves the room and I’m locked out on the balcony?

The door can only be locked from the inside. So if your cabin mate wants aircon while you are on the balcony they need to lock the door behind you and then let you back in. If you just slide the door shut there is no aircon but it’s not locked and you can just slide it open again to come in.

You nailed it.  But the question might be "If no one is in the room, why does the AC need to be on?  And, you can't lock the balcony door from the outside, only from in the room.  SO, in order to lock you out, your roomie would have to lock the door and then exit.

SO, you can go out, close the door, and the AC will be shut off.  But you'll have a way back into the room.  Or your roomie can lock the door, keeping the AC on, but locking you outside!  That seems like a bad idea to me.  The room will stay cool for a while without the AC running, especially if the curtains are closed.

11 hours ago, cantgetin said:

You nailed it.  But the question might be "If no one is in the room, why does the AC need to be on?  And, you can't lock the balcony door from the outside, only from in the room.  SO, in order to lock you out, your roomie would have to lock the door and then exit.

SO, you can go out, close the door, and the AC will be shut off.  But you'll have a way back into the room.  Or your roomie can lock the door, keeping the AC on, but locking you outside!  That seems like a bad idea to me.  The room will stay cool for a while without the AC running, especially if the curtains are closed.

Because if the air is off, and you are outside for an hour, then the cabin has gotten uncomfortable while outside and you have to wait again until it gets to a lower temperature. Found this to be annoying. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 12:05 AM, conandrob240 said:
On 11/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, cantgetin said:

you can go out, close the door, and the AC will be shut off.  But you'll have a way back into the room.  Or your roomie can lock the door, keeping the AC on, but locking you outside!  That seems like a bad idea to me.  The room will stay cool for a while without the AC running, especially if the curtains are closed.

I wonder how often someone gets stuck outside since his cabinmate locked the door and fell asleep with A/C on inside.

We just returned from 8 nights on the Valiant Lady.  AC was never turned off even when my wife was sleeping outside on the hammock. She was out there for hours at a time during the cruse and the A/C never turned off which was good since we were in the Caribbean for 8 nights. 🙂  She likes the room quite cold and it remained cold the entire time. Just be sure to close the door all the way tight so the A/C doesn't turn off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

We just returned from 8 nights on the Valiant Lady.  AC was never turned off even when my wife was sleeping outside on the hammock. She was out there for hours at a time during the cruse and the A/C never turned off which was good since we were in the Caribbean for 8 nights. 🙂  She likes the room quite cold and it remained cold the entire time. Just be sure to close the door all the way tight so the A/C doesn't turn off. 

That's different.....in our cabin, closing the door was not enough; it needed to be locked for the AC to run.  We did note that our most recent cabin had a sticker on the balcony door indicating this while the previous cabin did not.

Someone said on my first cruise that there was a way to "trick" the lock into thinking it was locked. I will have to look at it this time around if I have issues. I like it cool at night but after the last few days of temps not getting above 10 degrees I may like the warm.

• Like 1

My understanding is the door must be shut for the AC to operate. To ensure the door is shut the copy says "locked" so there is no mistake, not half closed, not nearly closed "closed and locked" is very clear. I think if you look you can see the magnetic sensor in the door. The whole thing if fine, there should NEVER be a need to operate the AC whilst the door is open given it won't be able to cool/warm the air of the cabin to the target temperature.

• Like 1

Our experience was that the dior had to be locked.  We came back from an all day excursion to a hot room and couldn't cool it down.  THe balcony had been closed tightly and the drapes closed.  We eventually called Sailor Services....they sent our stateroom host to show us that the door was not locked, thus no AC.  Interestingly, on our most recent cruise, there was a sticker on the door saying it must be locked.  This sticker wasn't there in the cabin where we had the problem.

Not trying to argue, just stating our exerence.

• Like 1