Silver Shadow deck plan question

mcpepe

Hello! For those of you familiar with the Silver Shadow, on deck 8, next to cabin 809 there is a mysterious blank space. :confused: Can anyone tell me what this is and would it create noise or interfere with a stay in the cabins next to this space?

Thanks in advance!

The same void exists on decks 4 (where it's filled by the laundry), 5,6 &7. Can't identify the use/purpose of the space, but we were directly across from it (tho not on Deck 8) and I can attest to it not being the source of any noise/disturbance/etc.

I can tell you that on Whisper,which I can only assume is the same as Shadow, there is actually a laundry area on floors 4, 6 and 8, all in the same footprint. I was just on the ship and actually went to each one looking for a vacant wash machine. Not sure what is there on floors 5 and 7.

Mark

Oh dear - not to put too fine a point on it, but while the 4th floor laundry is in the footprint in question (at least according to the SS brochure), the 6th and 8th floor laundry facilities are further aft, and I'm sure cuz I used both of them. As noted in another thread here, being next door to the laundry might be cause for concern unless the soundproofing is really outstanding. (My experience is on the Whisper....maybe there are deviations from the brochure diagrams twixt the Whisper and the Shadow...)

We were told by SS, via our TA, that the space is storage for the Cabin Stewards, at least on 6, & not the source of any noise. They were emphatic that there were no laundry facilities in that space. I surely hope that's true because we're booked next door for 60 days on the '07 World Cruise! If anyone has any further info, pls. let us know ASAP. This is our first experience with SS so we do not speak from experience. Love reading all your posts - have learned so much. Keep it going!

As I said before! It is a service stairwell with some storage. It isn't a laundry. You will be using it on your first evening to get to your muster station during the drill.

If you are sensitive to noise and the risk of noise is a concern to you, then it would be sensible to avoid 809. I've been in 801 and 709 and remember it well. This is an area where staff will congregate early in the morning to chat and wait to get into suites. There is a door that opens and shuts often. Possible noise is important to me and I would avoid suites directly around service areas. Others will post to say it didn't bother them - that's fine - but if it concerns you then change.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I can tell you that on Whisper,which I can only assume is the same as Shadow, there is actually a laundry area on floors 4, 6 and 8, all in the same footprint. I was just on the ship and actually went to each one looking for a vacant wash machine. Not sure what is there on floors 5 and 7.

Mark

Mark,

How did you enjoy your first Silversea cruise?

Was it up to your expectations?

Mark

Mark,

Whisper is the same as shadow but I'm afraid you are incorrect. The laundry is next to suite 634 and and 830. It is only in the same position on 4 ie next to 415. It is a service/emergency stairwell used between decks 8 to 5. It will be used as a route to the lifeboats on the first evening iyou are in 809 etc.

Jeff

Blackbird, I'm not an SS expert I promise. I'm just concerned that McPepe and Nowornever have a real concern and have asked for some facts and they should receive factual feedback rather than opinion or guesses. It would be awful for them if they were given a bum steer and stayed in what turns out to be a noisier suite than they expected and had their trips ruined.

From recollection the lifebat procedure is different slightly on the two smaller ships than the two larger.

We always early embark so my recollection might be somewhat clouded by the effluence of incahol. At around 5 or 6pm the hooters go. You all assemble at your assigned muster station. I think for the big two it's by your assigned lifeboat on deck 5. In Wind and Cloud it's in the lounge where you then go on to do a conga to your lifeboat. After visiting the lifeboat I think you then assemple in the theatre for a safety and general briefing.

Jeff

We always early embark so my recollection might be somewhat clouded by the effluence of incahol.

Jeff

LOL tell me that isn't true..... anim_beer.gif

That sounds like the type I like, realistic. But not the Lifeboat Drill with the Drill Sgts from Hell I had on the Regent Star :eek: Everybody had to meet on the forward outside deck and were formed into lines by the Drill Sgts (women and children first) and then marched to our lifeboats...:D

[/color]

I have heard varying opins on how long this drill takes. Sounds like a cattle call, but I saw some people w/ pics of sipping champagne in their life jackets.

That would be wind or cloud where they start from the bar.

Last November, when we were on the Silver Whisper, the lifeboat drill was conducted efficiently and seriously. We were somewhat laid back, having taken early embarkation and, as Jeff so eloquently phrased it, were under the effluence of incahol. So, we apparently misunderstood the instructions and thought that we didn't need to muster until we heard the signal blasts from the ship's horn. At that point, most people were already well on their way, having assembled at the designated time rather than waiting for the signal.

We were not treated rudely, but we were efficiently herded to our muster stations. Unlike other lifeboat drills we have been on, crew examined how we'd donned our life vests, and adjusted them while giving us instructions.

The drill was quick and efficient. My wife and I were quite pleased that it was handled so professionally. At the end of the drill, we knew what to do if we had to head for the lifeboats.

I would have been dismayed if the drill had been handled as a "fun event." It is a serious drill, and was treated that way. Soon, we were back to our Pommery.

--Rich

Thanks, Jeff. So does anyone try to make it fun on Whisper? This sounds like an annoying pain in the neck, but I guess people get used to it.

Not a pain in the neck at all. I share Rich's take and accurate description in that they thankfully take it seriously but it's still undertaken with a sense of purposeful humour. But they still intend it to happen properly. Every day staff are quietly drilled in small groups around the ship - all ships.

Muster drill - the art is to sit at the back of the theatre with your belt on and as soon as they have finished safety and start introducing Tannoy Tommy - exit stage outwards. You can then postion yourself at the bar in pole position. Take no prisoners and refuse to be so taken.

Jeff

edited to add: PS - don't forget to take a picture of you and your best friend in your lifejackets in the suite mirror. It's better than a laxative for your friends at home.

I have stayed in Suite 809 on the Shadow. If possible, I highly recommend you change.

The suite stewards store their metal carts there. The stairs are made of metal and sound resonates like you can't imagine. It would start around 7AM and last for 45 minutes. Then again at night. It was non stop banging, stair stepping and loud talking.

It truly sounded like it was coming from the head of our bed. This was the only complaint on our entire cruise. The rest was fabulous.

Good luck.

I have stayed in Suite 809 on the Shadow. If possible, I highly recommend you change.

The suite stewards store their metal carts there. The stairs are made of metal and sound resonates like you can't imagine. It would start around 7AM and last for 45 minutes. Then again at night. It was non stop banging, stair stepping and loud talking.

It truly sounded like it was coming from the head of our bed. This was the only complaint on our entire cruise. The rest was fabulous.

Good luck.

Thanks! I did change the room number and am now officially booked on our first Silversea cruise! :D

Archived