Airport baggage handling after debarkation

wren2

I recently spent 27 days on the Spirit and enjoyed the cruise despite various ports being changed. The substitution of Qatar for Kanbu, Saudi Arabia the day I was flying was a bit disappointing, as I would call it a one camel town!

I carefully checked with the Shore Concierge about assistance with the baggage at Dubai airport. I was assured there would be help. There was not. I had just celebrated my 80 th birthday on board, so was reliant on help. I had to grab a trolley and a kindly fellow passenger helped to put the suitcase on the trolley. I had the same situation debarking from the Moon in September in Lisbon. Have I been unlucky or is this another Silversea cutback?

On the subject it of cutbacks, my travel agent has just told me that Silversea no longer pay him commission on the flight segment of the cruise. I always take the Silversea flights and pay to upgrade. Has anyone had similar comments from their TAs?

On 11/26/2023 at 7:16 AM, wren2 said:

I recently spent 27 days on the Spirit and enjoyed the cruise despite various ports being changed. The substitution of Qatar for Kanbu, Saudi Arabia the day I was flying was a bit disappointing, as I would call it a one camel town!

I carefully checked with the Shore Concierge about assistance with the baggage at Dubai airport. I was assured there would be help. There was not. I had just celebrated my 80 th birthday on board, so was reliant on help. I had to grab a trolley and a kindly fellow passenger helped to put the suitcase on the trolley. I had the same situation debarking from the Moon in September in Lisbon. Have I been unlucky or is this another Silversea cutback?

On the subject it of cutbacks, my travel agent has just told me that Silversea no longer pay him commission on the flight segment of the cruise. I always take the Silversea flights and pay to upgrade. Has anyone had similar comments from their TAs?

I am not sure what assistance you thought you should get.   Silversea personnel would not be able to offer "porterage" assistance at most airport in the world.   This would not be a cut back it would be a matter of local regulation.   I would imagine the best they can do is to help guests getting off a bus and collecting their bags to find trolleys and then to send them on their way to find a local porter if they can.   As for not paying commission on flight segments I imagining the airlines are cutting back on fare "deals" meaning there is no "spare" to offer a cut to independent TAs.   Flight prices are going through the roof and it does seem as if Silversea are finding it increasingly difficult to secure blocks of tickets, particularly business class, at discounted prices.   I despair at people so regularly talking about cut backs and how it used to be better in the past, everything, but everything is going up in cost nearly every week, cruises are often booked and prices fixed way in advance and recent inflation rates are having to be absorbed by cruise companies where they and clients have committed a price which may have been set two or even nearly three years in advance of actual travel.

• Like 3

I agree with labrasett, the complaining and accusations on this board need to be moderated.  First, airlines no longer pay commissions on air fares to travel agents - did the TA mention that this procedure is not Silversea specific? (The travel agent made a nice commission on your booking, don't worry, and it is unprofessional for him or her to make that accusation.)  Next, re services in the port terminals, this is out of Silversea's domain as in most countries, port workers are highly unionized and organized and strictly control who can do what at the port: Silversea employees cannot interfere with port operations or procedures, instead, they follow the rules and are generally limited to a "meet and greet" function on both departure and arrival.  Porters (who you must tip) are generally available, simply have a pocket full of $5 bills and all of the help you need will be available.  At airports, do you expect airline employees to claim your bags and help you through immigration at the airport - it does not work that way (and hasn't for a very long time) and sometimes porters may be available.  And, does anyone expect Silversea employees to be present within the immigration and customs areas at foreign airports?  It is not even permissible yet Silversea is getting trashed.  Last, as to itinerary changes, it happens: everything from weather, political situations and operations can impact itineraries developed years in advance; all cruisers are aware of this fact.

Posters use the words like cutbacks very easily - many of the original posters points are out of Silversea's (or any cruise line's) control.  The key point is the following: products evolve, change and adapt over the years, just like the passengers do.  I enjoy my days on Silversea and feel privildeged to be travelling and exploring in such comfort.  Is everything always perfect?  Nothing is, but overall it is a lovely experience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LAL Cruiser said:

At airports, do you expect airline employees to claim your bags and help you through immigration at the airport - it does not work that way

It certainly does at Singapore airport if booked in advance.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

It certainly does at Singapore airport if booked in advance.

Key words; if you book in advance.  baggage retrieval at Singapore is a special service, not standard operating procedure.  One can also use a baggage service to have baggage forwarded from your home directly to the ship and return; that solves the luggage/airport/cruise port issue.  Or, for an entirely effortless travel experience, flying private is a very good alternative.  There are options for passengers who need extra assistance and that is a very very good thing.- but those services generally cost extra, require special advance arraignments, and are not part of the Silversea or air carrier base product.  That Silversea does not provide porterage or baggage assistance within the port or airport (regardless of who arranged the airline ticket) is not a cutback which is where this discussion began.

This is all about managing expectations: Silversea does not and/or cannot provide baggage assistance services at airports or cruise ports.  Porters are generally available for said services or other special arrangements are necessary.  Silversea staff (or contracted staff) will assist and direct passengers as appropriate and help ensure that the passenger with his/her luggage efficiently get from the airport to the port to the ship and back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LAL Cruiser said:

I agree with labrasett, the complaining and accusations on this board need to be moderated.  First, airlines no longer pay commissions on air fares to travel agents - did the TA mention that this procedure is not Silversea specific? (The travel agent made a nice commission on your booking, don't worry, and it is unprofessional for him or her to make that accusation.)  Next, re services in the port terminals, this is out of Silversea's domain as in most countries, port workers are highly unionized and organized and strictly control who can do what at the port: Silversea employees cannot interfere with port operations or procedures, instead, they follow the rules and are generally limited to a "meet and greet" function on both departure and arrival.  Porters (who you must tip) are generally available, simply have a pocket full of $5 bills and all of the help you need will be available.  At airports, do you expect airline employees to claim your bags and help you through immigration at the airport - it does not work that way (and hasn't for a very long time) and sometimes porters may be available.  And, does anyone expect Silversea employees to be present within the immigration and customs areas at foreign airports?  It is not even permissible yet Silversea is getting trashed.  Last, as to itinerary changes, it happens: everything from weather, political situations and operations can impact itineraries developed years in advance; all cruisers are aware of this fact.

Posters use the words like cutbacks very easily - many of the original posters points are out of Silversea's (or any cruise line's) control.  The key point is the following: products evolve, change and adapt over the years, just like the passengers do.  I enjoy my days on Silversea and feel privildeged to be travelling and exploring in such comfort.  Is everything always perfect?  Nothing is, but overall it is a lovely experience.

Don’t even think of handing out US$5 notes in Dubai!  Assistance at Dubai Airport is complimentary.  They do not use USD in any case as they have their own currency.

7 hours ago, Port Power said:

Don’t even think of handing out US$5 notes in Dubai!  Assistance at Dubai Airport is complimentary.  They do not use USD in any case as they have their own currency.

Have to disagree with both of those statements.

Whilst the assistance at Dubai may be complementary tipping in the Arab states is even more inbuilt in their culture than it is in the US (if that is possible!)

The USD is widely accepted in the Gulf states as my daughter can testify from when she worked out there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Have to disagree with both of those statements.

Whilst the assistance at Dubai may be complementary tipping in the Arab states is even more inbuilt in their culture than it is in the US (if that is possible!)

The USD is widely accepted in the Gulf states as my daughter can testify from when she worked out there.

Just returned from two weeks in Dubai and surrounding area and was never once asked for additional tips.

If you fly business or first class, so airlines provide transport to and from airport and have expedited curb side check in so you would not have to handle luggage. They also help expedite thru immigration and customs. I am sure these are not the Silversea included airlines. 

9 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

If you fly business or first class, so airlines provide transport to and from airport and have expedited curb side check in so you would not have to handle luggage. They also help expedite thru immigration and customs. I am sure these are not the Silversea included airlines. 

Emirates does all this for First Class, they also have home transfers to/from home for business class.  Not all airlines provide kerb side check in for international flights.  Those that do are usually just for international First Class passengers or high status passengers.  Silversea does use Qatar, but they do not include home transfers.

The OP was boarding in Dubai after disembarking, so she may have flying Emirates, or one of the many airlines that use that airport.  Help with luggage at Dubai was the issue.  Helpful fellow passengers assisted her.

@Port Powerthank you for clarification. I am looking at Emirates Business from Dulles to Singapore because of the free pick up. Saves me parking fees for a few weeks. 
Base on some YouTube videos from the past, so airlines provide very personalized First Class, Lufthansa seemed to be one of them . I am sure many airlines have discontinued some of these services!

On 12/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, LAL Cruiser said:

Porters (who you must tip) are generally available, simply have a pocket full of $5 bills and all of the help you need will be available.  

This. And if it's particularly busy/crowded when you are looking for a porter at the airport, one of the lessons that I learned from my wise Mother more than 50 years ago was to simply hold up your arm with a $10 or $20 bill (depending on the amount of luggage) in your hand. 😉

• Like 2

Much depends upon the airline, the airport, and in some cases, the cabin class.

As an example, we were able to use curbside check-in in Denver for a DEN>LHR flight a couple of weeks ago.  Back in the day, international always meant putting in an appearance at the ticket desk to assure all was in order.  Now the curbside folks will ask to see your passports, making the extra trek to the counter unnecessary - a significant convenience.

• Like 1