Retreat on older ships

NHCRUISIN

Sillhoutte is the only S class ship that has been fully "revolutionized": and will probably be the only one ever. as X is concentrating on their new E class ships. Equinox had the Michael's Club redone as Retreat Lounge and is quite  nice. EQ's "Retreat: sun deck however was only partially done with no bar or water feature. There is very little shade, but service up there is good if all you want is a drink or a snack for lunch. No other S class ship has any so called "Retreat" features. 

Many of our cruises are more about the ship than where we are going. My 1st choice is Millennium then Summit, Eclipse, Solstice, Silhouette, Reflection, Equinox, Constellation and Infinity. All E Class ships last. My biggest problem with E Class is limited food options in Luminae. $12k for our next cruise on Apex SS without a butler. Our last cruise on Eclipse in a CS the MDR food was better than Luminae food. We were doing 3 Celebrity cruises per year before Covid. Now 1 per year. More land holidays for us until things get settle down at Celebrity.

• Like 1

I think the answer really depends on what you value about the Retreat.  All ships have Luminae and a Retreat Lounge (or Michael's Club).  And they all offer the same services in the Retreat.  

If the Retreat sundeck or a more modern feel is important to you, then you will want to look at Edge Class ships and those that have been fully revolutionized.  The non-revolutionized M and S class ships have some beautiful dark woods in Michael's Club that I really enjoy.  All M and S class ships have the advantage of Luminae's kitchen being close to other dining room kitchens making it easier to order off other menus if you don't like what is being served in Luminae on a particular night.

4 hours ago, prmssk said:

I think the answer really depends on what you value about the Retreat.  All ships have Luminae and a Retreat Lounge (or Michael's Club).  And they all offer the same services in the Retreat.  

If the Retreat sundeck or a more modern feel is important to you, then you will want to look at Edge Class ships and those that have been fully revolutionized.  The non-revolutionized M and S class ships have some beautiful dark woods in Michael's Club that I really enjoy.  All M and S class ships have the advantage of Luminae's kitchen being close to other dining room kitchens making it easier to order off other menus if you don't like what is being served in Luminae on a particular night.

I really agree with your comments prmssk!  Especially with the fact that the location of the main kitchen on M and S class ships means if the Luminae menu does not appeal, one can request off other menues, which I frequently do.

• Like 2

Another factor I take in when booking a cruise is location of cabin on the ship.

As to the M Class ships. I like that most of the suites are on deck 6. I would book any of the SS suites on deck 6. Also CS had a table for 4 for dining.

With the S Class ships SS might have noise issues from the OVC above. I'll only book Aqua Sky Suites or the 1st 2 Sky Suites after AS or book a Sunset Sky Suite. I also look at the cost difference between a AS and a CS.  AS offers us nothing but a great location.

I have stayed as far back in SS on Equinox as 2129 with no noise issue. But I do prefer to get the first one or two SS's after the Aqua SS's. We are in 2124 next b2b. Hard to believe that the cabin next door, 2122 will cost someone a lot more money than we paid for nothing at all extra for me. . Couldn't care less about Persian Gardens. And I don't need "Free" classes as I have been a gym rat for 30 years and can make up my own routines!