Twin Beds vs Kings?

joseph123

Noting on the deck plans that only certain rooms, and none in the lowest categories, seem to offer twin beds? Does anyone know if that can be requested once on board? I have never been on a cruise where that was not an option. Seems as if I would need to upgrade several categories to get a room with two beds without being a connecting room? I always avoid choosing a room that connects since I've had issues in the past with noise from the adjoining room so really want to avoid that and having to select a room at a substantially higher price vs just having the cabin steward separate the beds if needed. Me and my partner are light sleepers and might be able to live with the king bed and would try it, but would like the option to separate them if we get onboard and find it to be an issue. Excited to try out the new Explora II but want to be clear as to what can be expected in this regard so if anyone has any insight into this question I would appreciate it. 

• 2 weeks later...

When recently speaking to an Explora rep on the phone he told me that twins can be separated or together as a king. He said that king was more comfortable than 2 twins pushed together. As you suggested, I’m not sure that twins are available in non connecting rooms.

I have recently run into this problem.  When I asked my TA to have my requested suite on the 6th floor set to a twin bed configuration, she replied back to me with the following:  I have spoken with Explora and unfortunately, all suites in the “OT1” category are only equipped with a king size bed. To obtain 2 twin beds, we would have to move up a category to “OT2”.  

As you've noted, the only twin rooms on deck 7 (OT2) are adjoining rooms and I was not thrilled about that, so I ended up having to go up another category to deck 8 (OT3).  

I also have never run into this when cruising.  I would be curious to find out if the king beds actually can be separated or if they are truly a single king boxspring.

12 minutes ago, sswansen said:

I have recently run into this problem.  When I asked my TA to have my requested suite on the 6th floor set to a twin bed configuration, she replied back to me with the following:  I have spoken with Explora and unfortunately, all suites in the “OT1” category are only equipped with a king size bed. To obtain 2 twin beds, we would have to move up a category to “OT2”.  

As you've noted, the only twin rooms on deck 7 (OT2) are adjoining rooms and I was not thrilled about that, so I ended up having to go up another category to deck 8 (OT3).  

I also have never run into this when cruising.  I would be curious to find out if the king beds actually can be separated or if they are truly a single king boxspring.

They are truly a single king boxspring- well ours certainly is and is far more comfortable than the two connected singles on most ships 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sswansen said:

I had this same issue as I had OT2 but with two king rooms and two teen boys going with us later this month. EJ did a poor job explaining this as it is so different from every other line. My TA worked with EJ and they were nice enough to move us to OT3 rooms so my boys didn’t need to share a bed. 

• Like 1

We had a OT2 and the nightstands where fit to the wall. So even if it was 2 twins together you can't move them and place the nightstands in between.

You have to look at the deckplan to rooms with a T (twinbeds).

In the Q&A on the site:

What is the size of the beds. Are there only suites with double beds available?

The majority of our suites have a king size bed (180 cm / 70.86 in) and we also have some suites with a twin-bed (2 x 90 cm / 2 x 35.53 in) configuration. 

Edited by Henk123

Does not seem right that I would need to purchase a two catagory upgrade simply to have my beds seperated to twins. Do any of the the other premium lines require this? Every one of the 20+ cruises I have been on offered the option vs having to pay hundreds of dollars extra for an upgrade. Lots of friends/relatives do travel together and require this, not only people with kids who require connected rooms.