what to do for 2 hours in Washington, DC?

kjuliar

Hi-

I'm flying to Miami this Friday and have a 2 hour layover in DC (we arrive at 4:30 and depart at 7:30). Does anyone know of something we can do? Do we have time to go into the city?

Thanks in advance.

You did not say if it was Dulles or Reagan but either way I would say, "no". You would have to leave the airport, negotiage traffic, then get back, go through security again and be there 45 minutes before your flight leaves. It's not worth the risk. Airlines all have cutoffs that mean they can and will give your seats away, since it is a layover you will already be checked in but if they board early then you can be in trouble.

thanks for the info....it's Dulles. I looked online at the airport and it seems as though they have a few restaurants and shops that I can kill some time at.

I've flown out of Dulles several times and it is best to just stay put. The security line (they have one entry point for the ENTIRE airport) can be notoriously long. I'd recommend just enjoying a restaurant or something. Or if you are restless, you can take a drive around the airport tarmac on one of their mobile lounges (basically interterminal shuttle busses) which is definately a unique experience.

Too bad the layover isn't a bit longer. The new expansion to the Air and Space Museum is on the Dulles grounds. Gotta agree with everyone else that just getting in and out of security will eat up most of your time.

Archived