Upgrade bids on sold out room class?

JCMAN

Hello all, going on my first cruise with MSC, and second cruise ever... 

I booked an interior room on the MSC Seashore for Dec 3rd and was upgraded to a deluxe balcony. Nice little perk. Nov 6th emailed offering for upgrade bids. I put in an amount determined "Strong" for YC Interior. 

Nov 15th they counter saying YC Deluxe suite for $XYZ amount... unfortunately for me, that dollar amount doesn't make sense as a solo traveler that would have to pay double occupancy on an upgrade. I've slightly raised my YC interior bid, still registering "strong" despite MSC telling me that they don't think they're gonna be able to do a YCI upgrade.

One question, why are they soliciting bids for sold out cabin classes (like Yacht Club interior)- data harvesting? Hopes that other upgrades clear and slot me into YC? Last minute cancellation?

Also, I've read mixed reports on the letter vs spirit of the law in terms of refunds on drink packages/wifi. I recognize that de facto the terms say if your bid clears, then no refunds on the drink packages / wifi already purchased if your new cabin experience level includes it, but how flexible is MSC on this in reality?

Thanks for any and all insight. Trying to decide if I keep my bid and if/when I purchase a drink package discounted with >48hrs before sailing.

2 hours ago, JCMAN said:

Hello all, going on my first cruise with MSC, and second cruise ever... 

I booked an interior room on the MSC Seashore for Dec 3rd and was upgraded to a deluxe balcony. Nice little perk. Nov 6th emailed offering for upgrade bids. I put in an amount determined "Strong" for YC Interior. 

Nov 15th they counter saying YC Deluxe suite for $XYZ amount... unfortunately for me, that dollar amount doesn't make sense as a solo traveler that would have to pay double occupancy on an upgrade. I've slightly raised my YC interior bid, still registering "strong" despite MSC telling me that they don't think they're gonna be able to do a YCI upgrade.

One question, why are they soliciting bids for sold out cabin classes (like Yacht Club interior)- data harvesting? Hopes that other upgrades clear and slot me into YC? Last minute cancellation?

Also, I've read mixed reports on the letter vs spirit of the law in terms of refunds on drink packages/wifi. I recognize that de facto the terms say if your bid clears, then no refunds on the drink packages / wifi already purchased if your new cabin experience level includes it, but how flexible is MSC on this in reality?

Thanks for any and all insight. Trying to decide if I keep my bid and if/when I purchase a drink package discounted with >48hrs before sailing.

Maybe people in Yacht Club interior are bidding on Yacht Club balcony or higher. That would open up a Yacht Club interior. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nferr said:

Maybe people in Yacht Club interior are bidding on Yacht Club balcony or higher. That would open up a Yacht Club interior. 

Perhaps. Hard to say.

Online inventory only seems to suggest only four YC1 rooms and two YCP rooms are available... looks pretty packed.

The upgrade counter offer for YC1 is hurt by it being double occupancy, but they're trying to sell the rooms for around $1500 a head for ~$3000 for the trip, versus the upgrade counter offer being around ~$1400 (with the upgrade billed as double occupancy, plus the original cost of the cruise. (The bid on the YCI room is $230pp = $460 with it being double occupancy).

Trying to figure out if I should keep my feet strong or succumb to the temptation to upgrade.

EDIT: Of course, inventory for rooms is less on MSC's own website for both, and the possibility remains that they've blocked rooms for selection at third party travel agencies but that they aren't actually booked...

Edited by JCMAN
Clarification on the room numbers

I am not getting any bids to upgrade.  Already booked in the YC and it is sold out so maybe that’s the problem?  Our cruise is in February so maybe it is too early?  I have given permission for emails etc but don’t get the emails from marketing from MSC like I do on Celebrity.  Wonder if I am missing something?

How often does MSC upgrade last minute ? I know from the roll call that people on my cruise next week have been upgraded weeks ago. I will buy a drink package, and want to take advantage of the pre-cruise price, so I will have to cancel the YC bid since I don't want to pay for both.

@JCMAN I'm on same ship & sailing sailing solo.  Booked Interior, Assigned Balcony. Bid max for YC inside and NOTHING for YC Deluxe as the starting bid (x2) was too high for me.

Like you, was countered because there are no insides available. I DID take the counter offer, even at the 2x price because it was well worth it to me once I factored in Premium Drink package and wifi for 2 devices.  

The price I am paying is more than last year's 5 day/4 night sailing at the same time of year in Yacht Club, but significantly less than booking YC as a solo because of the 100% solo supplement. 

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

@JCMAN I'm on same ship & sailing sailing solo.  Booked Interior, Assigned Balcony. Bid max for YC inside and NOTHING for YC Deluxe as the starting bid (x2) was too high for me.

Like you, was countered because there are no insides available. I DID take the counter offer, even at the 2x price because it was well worth it to me once I factored in Premium Drink package and wifi for 2 devices.  

The price I am paying is more than last year's 5 day/4 night sailing at the same time of year in Yacht Club, but significantly less than booking YC as a solo because of the 100% solo supplement. 

So I learned the hard way on counters: They are one time. If you get an upgrade offer you can modify or cancel it, but the counter can only be accepted once. If you cancel a counter, then it's gone for good. The minimum bid amount for the YC Deluxe ($570, odds marked "poor") is more than the counter offer ($440pp, $880 charging for double occupancy on upgrade bid despite being a solo traveler).

I think for me at $880 extra the economics don't work - I can purchase the premium drinks package for $352 (or go down to easy plus for less) and faster wifi is $80 for one device.

Hope springs eternal on my original bid for the YC Interior room, which is still marked as "strong" despite no interior rooms being available...

EDIT: Looks like 2 YC deluxe suites and 1 YC deluxe grand suite remain. Not bullish on the upgrade odds...

Edited by JCMAN