Upgrade Bids?

read2learn

On our Onward cruise end of August there was a sheet in our veranda cabin offering upgrade to CC suite; they suggested a minimum bid and we offered a bit more. After submitting form to Guest Relations we had call to say bid was successful and we were allowed to choose a cabin from those available. 
I had been keeping an eye on pricing, so knew we were offering less than original advertised price. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotsahoy said:

On our Onward cruise end of August there was a sheet in our veranda cabin offering upgrade to CC suite; they suggested a minimum bid and we offered a bit more. After submitting form to Guest Relations we had call to say bid was successful and we were allowed to choose a cabin from those available. 
I had been keeping an eye on pricing, so knew we were offering less than original advertised price. 

Just curious. Did you know which cabins were available BEFORE you bid? Were you allowed to withdraw your bid when you were told which cabins were left and you didn't want any of them?

No, was not aware of cabins available in upgrade. Think if I hadn’t liked any of them, could have stayed in original cabin. Guest Relations volunteered they were looking for a certain minimum amount to be accepted for upgrade. I was able to pick a CC suite with a shower  ( not a bath) - had been in one before, so that was preference and there were a few to choose from. ( there are more CC suites on Onward). As we had already unpacked, the stewards offered to help us move cabins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RW75 said:

Appears bidding is back in operation. Received an upgrade bid offer for 12 Dec sailing this morning. 

Snap.

However the lead in figures in the body of the email bear no relation to the examples quoted wrt a solo passenger.  The difference is not double but can be in the region of 500%. Do they think we are stupid??

17 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Snap.

However the lead in figures in the body of the email bear no relation to the examples quoted wrt a solo passenger.  The difference is not double but can be in the region of 500%. Do they think we are stupid??

Absolutely correct.  I often travel solo and there’s no value or very rarely value in bidding. 

In this particular case for myself assuming minimum bid at 200%, the price would be in line with the cost of those categories offered at the time I booked. 

Often feel revenue management could make more carefully considered offers to solo passengers, even if at a much closer date to sailing when inventory remains open. 

• Like 2

We also got the upgrade letter for 9 December Pursuit.

If the bids needed to secure an upgrade are even remotely what they wanted for the Pursuit sailing we are on now, (prior to the bidding process which virtually always means higher pricing) we will not even consider bidding. 

• Like 1