Havila customer service

ll_miller

After 3 days our cruise on Pullox got canceled due to engine problems. We got transfered back to start again on Castor. The trip was fine but customer service was terrible with helping us resolve our change of trip schedules. When starting the trip over we requested to have Havila transfer us back to Bergen in time to keep our scheduled return flight. Every time I would call customer service I was told they were working on it but get no confirmation it was actually going to happen. We didn't know if we would have to book our own return. We finally received flight information less than 24 hrs before the day were were returning. Havila didn't even book the flights, they had a travel agency book them. I am still waiting for reimbursement of travel expenses and lost cruise days 2 weeks after we've returned home. All I get when I call customer service is they have received my request but the claims department won't talk with me.

Any suggestions how to get them to respond?

Edited by ll_miller
added question

4 hours ago, doingourthing said:

First timer to Norway. Looking at May, June or July on Havila. Probably round trip. 
Any thoughts on the best time to go?  Mostly interested in seeing the fjords at their best but would love fewer people. 

When I had to be rebooked last year due to Polaris not being released, it took over a month to resolve everything.  They did eventually reimburse me for flight changes but it was done through a bank transfer.  It’s a small office so it might take time for them to get through everything.

Thanks for the feedback.  It seems they have everything so automated on the booking process they don't have the staff on hand to handle issues that arise.  We really enjoyed the cruise but not pleased with the lack of communication from customer service.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:51 PM, ll_miller said:

Thanks for the feedback.  It seems they have everything so automated on the booking process they don't have the staff on hand to handle issues that arise.  We really enjoyed the cruise but not pleased with the lack of communication from customer service.

I had a lot of back and forth with customer service before things finally got resolved but it was better than my experience with TAP Air Portugal at the start of the pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Never got a good resolution.  Had multiple receipts for transportation they should have covered.  They sent half of 1 receipt then sent the other half when I explained the second time it was for 2 parties.  Got charged a wire fee each time they sent it.  Refuse to cover the other receipt as well as any reimbursement for cruise days lost.

I don't recommend traveling on Havila due to their customer service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 6:12 AM, ll_miller said:

Never got a good resolution.  Had multiple receipts for transportation they should have covered.  They sent half of 1 receipt then sent the other half when I explained the second time it was for 2 parties.  Got charged a wire fee each time they sent it.  Refuse to cover the other receipt as well as any reimbursement for cruise days lost.

I don't recommend traveling on Havila due to their customer service.

A lot of this could have been avoided if your schedule hadn't been so tight...all sorts of things can go wrong if you schedule flights so tight that any problem becomes a major issue.  First thing I'd have done is call the airline and see if they could change the flight.  If so, problem solved.  I don't see anything wrong with them using a travel agent to book, what does it matter?  Did Havila book and arrange your flights, or did you?  If you booked air travel through Havila, they should have taken care of any issues, but if you booked yourself, you chose your options.  If i book a hotel at the cheapest rate and a flight is cancelled and rebooked the next morning, the airline isn't going to pay me for the room I couldn't use because I chose that non-refundable price.

Mechanical issues, unless from lack of maintenance, as well as weather, are inevitable.  If you've ever had airline flights cancelled or delayed, you probably know they'll help you out somewhat...try to rebook, maybe put you up in a hotel of their choosing...but they're not going to pay for the cruise you missed because you were supposed to fly in the morning it began, or your special demands to be made "whole".  Likewise, if any travel company wants to stay in business, they have to keep things reasonable and not just start handing out money to whoever asks for whatever they think they are owed.

We don't know "both sides of the story" here, and maybe they do owe you and didn't handle it well, but from the description, it could be you're expecting more than is reasonable.

Travel insurance might be a good option in your case; they too will only reimburse you within reason and the limitations they specify.  Or use a travel agent, and contact them if anything goes wrong.  Or, use a cruise line that offers to book your flights for you, then let them handle it if such issues come up.