$8 vs $50.. City bus vs. City Taxi (they look almost the same)

Brianinidaho

Brian, i have a question. Where is Joe's Jewlery? I have a coupon for a free pair of earrings, and need to know where it is located. We are traveling on Carnival. Does it dock in a different place than the RCCL and NCL and HA lines? Or are all in the same area?

All the ships dock at the Wathey pier, 20 minute walk from downtown P-Burg. Usually these coupons are worthless, you need a magnifying glass to see the earrings.

There is a water taxi (small ferry) that runs from the cruise pier to downtown, for those who don't walk well. $5 for unlimited use, you get a wristband and can hop on and off all day long.

There will be maps from the shopping advisor showing the stores that participate in the marketing programs.

All the ships dock at the Wathey pier, 20 minute walk from downtown P-Burg. Usually these coupons are worthless, you need a magnifying glass to see the earrings.

There is a water taxi (small ferry) that runs from the cruise pier to downtown, for those who don't walk well. $5 for unlimited use, you get a wristband and can hop on and off all day long.

There will be maps from the shopping advisor showing the stores that participate in the marketing programs.

This is true, but if you can walk, skip the water taxi! It is sort of a gimmick as, at least when we were there, the line for the water taxi had a much longer wait than just walking into town.

This won't work for everyone, but if you are able, do the walking. After a few days on a ship with the buffets, my body needed a walk anyway.

I agree about walking instead of taking the water taxi. We didn't even consider the water taxi, but instead just headed out early. It was about 25 to 30 minutes at the walking pace we require, but we made it there (and back) without problems. Both DH and I have physical limitations, so if we can do it, I'd have to say that most anyone who can walk could do it.

beachchick

p.s., We did tons of walking and taking the stairs on that trip. When I got really tired and wanted to quit, my sister would walk beside me and say with every step, "drink, drink, drink, dessert, dessert, dessert..." to remind me that walking = burning calories = more goodies to enjoy on vacation. And I could always rest afterward.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! this is just the info i was looking for! Did you walk back to port or take a taxi?

We walked both ways, but spent about an hour in town browsing and resting (gotta love those little "tastings" of the various island liqueurs--lime and mango = yum). We didn't rush either way, especially because it was pretty darn warm (even early in the day). It wasn't the most scenic walk in the world, but it wasn't difficult by any means. We wouldn't consider taking the water taxi because a day where we can do that kind of walk means we are having a "good" day--We take advantage of them and never take them for granted.:D

beachchick

Is there scooters that you can rent in St. Maartin? This might be a nice way to look around the island. suggestions?:confused:

Only rent if you ride scooters at home. We wrecked one and got hurt enough to see the ships doctor back on board, and got a tentius shot in the ships hospital!

This is true, but if you can walk, skip the water taxi! It is sort of a gimmick as, at least when we were there, the line for the water taxi had a much longer wait than just walking into town.

This won't work for everyone, but if you are able, do the walking. After a few days on a ship with the buffets, my body needed a walk anyway.

Just to prove how right I think Brian is, I walked from town to the ship and got there before the water taxi got there. Obviously, this includes the wait time, but I determined that the water taxi is more of a gimmick than anything else for those who are healthy.

Just to prove how right I think Brian is, I walked from town to the ship and got there before the water taxi got there. Obviously, this includes the wait time, but I determined that the water taxi is more of a gimmick than anything else for those who are healthy.

Lots of people are not. And if the tempature is in the 90s and you have been wandering all day..........

Lots of people are not. And if the tempature is in the 90s and you have been wandering all day..........

A taxi can take you from town to the ship also, and without the wait of the water taxi. If you are that unhealthy that the 90 degree weather will wipe you out, waiting for a while outside in a line, an hour at times, for the water taxi, is not the way to go.

However, most of the folks on the ships I have been on are healthy enough to skip the wait of the water taxi and just walk into and out of town. The good Lord knows that after eating so much on board, a walk would do many folks like me good.

Was this last post put up by someone affiliated with the water taxi? Just curious.

No. My point is that the issue of the difficulty of the walk is minimized by the young and healthy, such as you are. The fastest way back is by cab, especially if you are at the western end of Front Street. We have waited for the water taxi and it can be a long wait, which is why we don't use it anymore.

The best thing about using it in the morning is that as it swings away from the ship and heads towards town you get a great photo-op of shooting the entire Great Bay area head on with a wide angle lens. That alone is worth the $3 one time use fee.

BTW, I noticed in your signature you listed the "Poseidon" cruise 4-2006. Little humor there?

I have a slightly different take on the water taxi.

As I've posted here before, think of it as the cheapest Ship's Excursion that you've ever taken.

It offers great views and photo-ops of Great Bay, the Little Pier, Your Ship, and Bobby's Marina.

gary

p.s. the walk, if it is 15 minutes or 30 minutes or more, may be fine for most people, but if it is hot and/or it is raining, you will wish that you had made a different decision.

Booper -- looks like our posts overlapped.

I have a slightly different take on the water taxi.

As I've posted here before, think of it as the cheapest Ship's Excursion that you've ever taken.

It offers great views and photo-ops of Great Bay, the Little Pier, Your Ship, and Bobby's Marina.

gary

p.s. the walk, if it is 15 minutes or 30 minutes or more, may be fine for most people, but if it is hot and/or it is raining, you will wish that you had made a different decision.

Booper -- looks like our posts overlapped.

Yes we overlapped.

On our last trip to SXM as we drove away from the pier in our Hertz Toyota I noticed lots of people from our ship striding at high speed towards town along the newly built (or recently built) promenade. I recognized some as regular ship joggers and my wife, who is healthier and walks every day on the ship, commented that she recognized many of them.

So those are the people who motor along the fenced in pathway to town. Just getting their daily laps around the ship jogging deck but on dry land !

Booper;

That may very well be the case, but be careful with the term "promenade" as that is now ususally reserved for the new walkway along Great Bay Beach, also known as the Boardwalk.

gary

I know. That is why I tried to clarify that this was the walkway from the pier to town and not the paved area between Great Bay Beach and the rear of the Front Street stores. So when are you going to SXM this year?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reason for your response. I thought I expressed myself very clearly enough. Was there some sort of additional value you were meaning to add to my comment?

I guess I'll clarify a little further...

If you are not healthy, have a significant walking impediment, believe this could actually be entertaining, or are lazy, then feel free to use the water taxi. It is an option. However, the walk is very minimal and you can even arrive by foot earlier than the taxi. Walking, too, is a valid option. The average person would do better hoofing it. This is especially true for large, young families where costs multiply quickly. Everyone can choose for his/herself.

Just don't use the water taxi, get off, and wonder "what the heck was that," and wish you got the last 30 minutes of your vacation back. The folks in St. Maarten lead you to believe that this is the only option to get to town. It is not true. You can walk with minimal effort.

My wife was told we have to take the water taxi or taxi to get back to the ship and that there was no way to walk there. We actually had to debate that point. I knew better, thanks to Brian from Idaho. We walked. She was astonished that it was not only possible, but favorable. She had to swallow hard and agree that I was right (No minor feat! I only get a win like this every 10 years!) and commented how disingenuine it was to mislead her toward taking the water taxi.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reason for your response. I thought I expressed myself very clearly enough. Was there some sort of additional value you were meaning to add to my comment?

I guess I'll clarify a little further...

If you are not healthy, have a significant walking impediment, believe this could actually be entertaining, or are lazy, then feel free to use the water taxi. It is an option. However, the walk is very minimal and you can even arrive by foot earlier than the taxi. Walking, too, is a valid option. The average person would do better hoofing it. This is especially true for large, young families where costs multiply quickly. Everyone can choose for his/herself.

Just don't use the water taxi, get off, and wonder "what the heck was that," and wish you got the last 30 minutes of your vacation back. The folks in St. Maarten lead you to believe that this is the only option to get to town. It is not true. You can walk with minimal effort.

My wife was told we have to take the water taxi or taxi to get back to the ship and that there was no way to walk there. We actually had to debate that point. I knew better, thanks to Brian from Idaho. We walked. She was astonished that it was not only possible, but favorable. She had to swallow hard and agree that I was right (No minor feat! I only get a win like this every 10 years!) and commented how disingenuine it was to mislead her toward taking the water taxi.

I get your point, but think you are being rather judgmental. You say "feel free to use the water taxi," but then include a list of those whom you are giving "permission" to do so, including those who are by your standards "lazy"? Sorry, but no one needs permission or even justification for their choice of walking, water taxi, or regular taxi. Where you write "everyone can choose for his/herself," I think you've got it exactly right. It's a personal choice. To chide someone who is "healthy" for making a choice other than yours is what I find judgmental. (And this is not to say that I don't agree that walking is, in many cases, by far the best thing to do. When possible, it's what we do. On the days it's not possible or when we choose to save our "energy bank" for other activities or for any other reason, I don't think I need to make a justification for it or "prove" why I make a different choice in order not to be considered "lazy" by someone who doesn't even know me.)

beachchick

I get your point, but think you are being rather judgmental. You say "feel free to use the water taxi," but then include a list of those whom you are giving "permission" to do so, including those who are by your standards "lazy"? Sorry, but no one needs permission or even justification for their choice of walking, water taxi, or regular taxi. Where you write "everyone can choose for his/herself," I think you've got it exactly right. It's a personal choice. To chide someone who is "healthy" for making a choice other than yours is what I find judgmental. (And this is not to say that I don't agree that walking is, in many cases, by far the best thing to do. When possible, it's what we do. On the days it's not possible or when we choose to save our "energy bank" for other activities or for any other reason, I don't think I need to make a justification for it or "prove" why I make a different choice in order not to be considered "lazy" by someone who doesn't even know me.)

beachchick

Um.... Ok. :confused: I think you are over-intellectualizing or simply have put way too much thought into this. I'm just glad you got the point. You probably should have just stopped there.

Um.... Ok. :confused: I think you are over-intellectualizing or simply have put way too much thought into this. I'm just glad you got the point. You probably should have just stopped there.

:rolleyes: I think I can decide for myself how to respond, thanks. I'm not sure why it's okay for you to lecture about why people should or should not walk (or whatever), but not okay for others to respond with a different opinion. So, we'll just have to leave it at that.

beachchick

:rolleyes: I think I can decide for myself how to respond, thanks. I'm not sure why it's okay for you to lecture about why people should or should not walk (or whatever), but not okay for others to respond with a different opinion. So, we'll just have to leave it at that.

beachchick

You must be a retired lawyer with a lot of time on your hands, and/or you are an avid Seinfeld fan :) . You are reading a lot into something that is simply not there. I'm not making a judgment, but just making a point (BTW - a point that you are free to disagree with. And please don't turn this into some strange interpretation that I'm ALLOWING you to disagree with just this one, implying not with others). I didn't think the boards were for psychoanalyzing, but rather to provide various perspectives based on experiences. I've seen you pick fights before by maniacally dissecting words used in posts. I don't understand why. It is really weird and unnecessary. If you disagree with me, then that is fine. But, don't turn this into something that it is not.

Now, now, no squabbling, lets keep it friendly here. :)

When someone asks about something on the boards, I just try to give the facts and pluses and minuses of each option and let the asker weigh the situation and make their own decision. There is always a trade-off, time vs. money vs. discomfort.

• 2 weeks later...
Only rent if you ride scooters at home. We wrecked one and got hurt enough to see the ships doctor back on board, and got a tentius shot in the ships hospital!

I was just shaving and noticed the bump I still have on my chin from the scooter ride. Know what you are doing, and you will be fine. We didn't.:eek:

Brian,

I love to rent scooters, but I've heard all the warnings in St. Maarten. I never had the impression that it was dangerous when I was there.

What exactly happened in your case? Too fast for the roads? Terrain inappropriate for use? Inexperience in how to handle the machine? People try to run you down (I don't really mean that, but just trying to give you an idea of what kind of response I'm looking for)?

I'm considering renting a couple, but before I do so, I want to understand the reasons nearly everyone is panning the idea.

Thanks.

Archived