$8 vs $50.. City bus vs. City Taxi (they look almost the same)

Brianinidaho

Brian,

I love to rent scooters, but I've heard all the warnings in St. Maarten. I never had the impression that it was dangerous when I was there.

What exactly happened in your case? Too fast for the roads? Terrain inappropriate for use? Inexperience in how to handle the machine? People try to run you down (I don't really mean that, but just trying to give you an idea of what kind of response I'm looking for)?

I'm considering renting a couple, but before I do so, I want to understand the reasons nearly everyone is panning the idea.

Thanks.

Why I would not rent a scooter:

1. VERY heavy (and sometimes pretty fast) traffic in the built up areas.

2. Hilly, steep terrain (sp?) and sometimes sharp and dangerous curves and turns

3. When you get off the main roads, the side roads can be pot-holed and quite rough.

4. Sometimes aggressive (but usually pretty polite) drivers.

5. Most important - inexperience on scooters - especially in these conditions.

It is your call but it is something I would not consider.

Why I would not rent a scooter:

1. VERY heavy (and sometimes pretty fast) traffic in the built up areas.

2. Hilly, steep terrain (sp?) and sometimes sharp and dangerous curves and turns

3. When you get off the main roads, the side roads can be pot-holed and quite rough.

4. Sometimes aggressive (but usually pretty polite) drivers.

5. Most important - inexperience on scooters - especially in these conditions.

It is your call but it is something I would not consider.

Ours was simply inexperience at the time. They looked very easy and fun. We later in life actually got some of our own and learned how to ride, but these are not for the first timers!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
A friend asked me to repost this from a few months ago. I hope it has some use for some fellow traveler. Inside a very nicely kept pier and shopping area is the line of taxis. To go from the pier to the Rhino Riders I was quoted $25 each way. A few “info booths” will ask you to take the water taxi into town then you can find a taxi. It is $5 round trip, and when we walked by there was quite a line. The water taxi takes you just a short distance. We walked about 5 blocks in way less time than paying and waiting for the water taxi. Kind of a scam I felt. Outside the gates of the dock area, we were offered rides to the rhino riders for 16 for four of us. Or, $2 a piece into town (this seemed tariffed, because several taxis and buses all said it was $2 to the pier). We walked downtown and found out the island has a great transportation system at cheap prices. White mini vans, which look like many of the expensive taxis, were labeled “bus”. They are $1.50 per person from one end of the island to the other, or $1 per person mid-way. So here is the secret: Look on the license plate or from window for the word “Bus” and a number, and flag the driver. See if he is going your way. We paid $8 round trip to Rhino Riders vs. $50 in a cab (25 each way) for 4 of us. And the return was simple, had a bus within 30 seconds of leaving Rhino riders. The traffic is all the same, so no advantage to a cab over the bus except we did stop twice to pick up people which added less than 2 minutes total to the ride. They do drop you off downtown instead of at the ship (unless you pay $2 more per person)… which was fine because we took our savings and bought 8 shirts for $20 and looked at 3 big beach towels for $10.

I assume this is still accurate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted some updated info.

We will be in St Maarten on 11/11/08, St Maarten's Day. I realize that P-burg will be closed.

We are looking at doing the zip line at Loterie, transportation to Loterie taken care of. After that we wanted to go into Marigot.

Question1: I read on this tread somewhere that things are closed 12-2, is that correct?

Question2: Best way to get there, taxi right? How much do you think? Party of 8.

Then to go to Maho, then back to ship. We could then take the bus, just that we may have to walk back from P-burg. Correct?

Question3: Is that the best way to tour the island?

Question4: Do you have any other suggestions for St Maarten's Day?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the Buses go to Loterie Farm (where the Zip Line is)?

Apperantly it is on the road up to Colombier/Pic Paradis, north of Marigot on the French side of the island.

If not, any idea what a taxi would cost to get there? And back?

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the Buses go to Loterie Farm (where the Zip Line is)?

Apperantly it is on the road up to Colombier/Pic Paradis, north of Marigot on the French side of the island.

If not, any idea what a taxi would cost to get there? And back?

Thanks!!

I would like the answer to this also. On another board they were saying that they were charged $25/pp!!! to go to Loterie zip line. That is insane!:eek:

Is that the going rate, or were they taken advantage of?

Does the bus go close, maybe we will walk... the island is not that big anyway right?!?:rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
A friend asked me to repost this from a few months ago. I hope it has some use for some fellow traveler. Inside a very nicely kept pier and shopping area is the line of taxis. To go from the pier to the Rhino Riders I was quoted $25 each way. A few “info booths” will ask you to take the water taxi into town then you can find a taxi. It is $5 round trip, and when we walked by there was quite a line. The water taxi takes you just a short distance. We walked about 5 blocks in way less time than paying and waiting for the water taxi. Kind of a scam I felt. Outside the gates of the dock area, we were offered rides to the rhino riders for 16 for four of us. Or, $2 a piece into town (this seemed tariffed, because several taxis and buses all said it was $2 to the pier). We walked downtown and found out the island has a great transportation system at cheap prices. White mini vans, which look like many of the expensive taxis, were labeled “bus”. They are $1.50 per person from one end of the island to the other, or $1 per person mid-way. So here is the secret: Look on the license plate or from window for the word “Bus” and a number, and flag the driver. See if he is going your way. We paid $8 round trip to Rhino Riders vs. $50 in a cab (25 each way) for 4 of us. And the return was simple, had a bus within 30 seconds of leaving Rhino riders. The traffic is all the same, so no advantage to a cab over the bus except we did stop twice to pick up people which added less than 2 minutes total to the ride. They do drop you off downtown instead of at the ship (unless you pay $2 more per person)… which was fine because we took our savings and bought 8 shirts for $20 and looked at 3 big beach towels for $10.

I wonder if I can get a 'bus" to take a group to Mullet Bay?

Bruce

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is still lots of discussions about the costs of taxis! If folks only knew of the cheaper busses!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone just posted this-

"DW and I took the city bus to Maho this month. Only $2.00pp each way.

Definitely the way to go. Just go to Back Street and ask anyone where the bus stop is. The locals were very helpful. Same way we found the bus stop to get back. "

I had failed to put the location- pick up the local bus/van for $2 at BACK STREET

• 1 month later...

Wish these buses would go to Orient, it would save us (6 people) a bundle

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to help. We took the city bus vans to Rhino Riders and it worked out well. I would look into getting to the beach at the end of the airport runway. When we were done with the rhino riders and got on the van there were some folks who had just been by the airport beach and showed us some incredible pictures. We wish we would have known and went there.

• 1 month later...

We are heading to St. Maarten in May 2011 and want to go to Marigot in the morning and then return to Philipsburg later. I understand the buses are cheaper but how much would it cost to take a taxi from the port to Marigot for 2 people and then back to Philipsburg?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived