Encore to Alaska in April?

maggieq

11 minutes ago, maxandmolly said:

We’re booked on the Epic in April ‘25. I’d be interested in people’s experiences as well. 

There is kinda a difference between Alaska and Rome. It is warmer in Rome. 

Edited by BirdTravels

36 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Is this new for NCL?  I thought may was the start of the season.  Has anyone cruised Alaska during April that can share their experience as to weather and tour availability?  Thanks!

Let’s look at this year. 30’s to low 40’s during the day. High 20’s to 30’s at night. Rain and sleet daily. 
IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.491ffb7bc67973b3dea98257080ba5ce.jpeg

Juneau. 

I personally would not sail that early. The fjords may still be too clogged with ice to venture too far into them. It’s going to be brutal cold on deck, so everyone is going to be crowded inside. Plus many of the excursions operate with seasonal summer employees who are mostly college kids. There may not be many of these excursions operating as later summer months due to lack of hired help. If you have been to Alaska before, it would be much less of a deal breaker. But if your haven’t, I don’t think you will get as much of a full Alaska experience.

I live in Alaska.  April is a rough month, hence it will be cheapest, as Alaska is a very expensive cruise, let alone the excursion prices.  It is foggy, rains and still snows.  So it's damp, wet AND cold all in one.  Nothing wrong with this, if you know this, don't expect the sun and know that the fog will limit several excursion viewings.  The ice in the water can be an issue for excursions as well. Personally, I don't think the season here really starts until May, I would choose may rather than July because of the lack of bugs. 

• Like 1