Ketchikan docking location

kahuna21

2 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

We will stop in Ketchikan on Explorer in late May. According to the port schedule, we will be the only ship that day. Will be dock at Ward Cove or downtown?

Unknown without confirming with Regent. The docks are typically assigned by availability and what the cruise line's budget is.

5 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

Thanks for that. When they dock at Ward Cove, do the Regent tour buses start from there, or do you have to shuttle into town to catch a Regent tour bus?

I don't know that answer. I did pull the schedule though and I don't see a day that Explorer is in port alone...

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/ketchikan-port-409?tab=schedule&month=2024-05#schedule

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I don't know that answer. I did pull the schedule though and I don't see a day that Explorer is in port alone...

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/ketchikan-port-409?tab=schedule&month=2024-05#schedule

Oops, not even close to being alone. I don’t know what schedule I saw, but it was not complete. With all those ships, seems likely we’ll be at Ward Cove. I’ll phone Regent to check it out. Thank you for helping. 

The Ward Cove dock was built by NCLH two seasons ago to have a guaranteed berth (2). Regent (and Oceania and NCL) will always be docking there no matter how empty the downtown piers are.

It is a 20 minute bus ride and the buses run every 15-25 minute. And the bus is shared, so if there is a big NCL mega ship parked next to you, you might wait an hour to get on a bus. Lastly the bus drop of point is about 4 blocks from the old downtown (Lumberjack arena.)

Personally I think it is  big PITA.

Link NCLH Press release

Link TripAdvisor report

J

• Like 1

The dock is in its own bay, and a distance to town.  We chose shore excursions poorly and did not budget our time so we actually missed the town and instead had a very nice boat ride where we saw eagles in the wild, among other sites.  If you dock and have time before your tour take a quick jaunt into the town.

IMG_2742.jpeg

IMG_2760.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpeg

Edited by Bruce61
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JMARINER said:

The Ward Cove dock was built by NCLH two seasons ago to have a guaranteed berth (2). Regent (and Oceania and NCL) will always be docking there no matter how empty the downtown piers are.

Do only NCL ships have access to the Ward Cove berths? There are 8(!) ships docking the same day we are in May, but the Explorer is the only NCL ship. If yes, being away from the main port might be a good thing.

Ketchikan is a small town and is being covered with cruise passengers similar to some of the ports in Maine.  The preferred in town berths generally go to the long time players in Alaska, Princess and HAL.  I used to run ships (cargo) up there in the '80s and Ketchikan was a favorite stop.  Simply overrun this last year in May.  Sadly cruising is becoming a pariah of sorts due to its own success.  Ward Cove is truly "out of town" for this part of the world.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RELS said:

Do only NCL ships have access to the Ward Cove berths? There are 8(!) ships docking the same day we are in May, but the Explorer is the only NCL ship. If yes, being away from the main port might be a good thing.

I only see 7 ships. Only the Explorer is at Ward. The dock is exclusive to NCLH ships, so no there lines will dock there. Ketchican town has only 4 berths, so any other ship will anchor and tender to downtown.

J

• Like 1