Text and Calling Onboard

pete_coach

On 12/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, seemoreroyals said:

You are supposed to be able to text back and forth on ship using imessages on iphones.  I think you have to have your phones in airplane mode and use ships internet.  That way you do not have to pay the $9.95 fee. 

We are going to try it in a couple of weeks.  

Just back from cruise on Prima. I can confirm that this does work.  Us and couple we were travelling with all had iphones.  It works amazingly well to keep in touch.  Do not know if it works if one or more of parties does not have iphone.

What we did was go to settings and put phones in airplane mode.  Set phones to ships internet.  Worked great throughout trip.  Texting only; will not allow texting of pictures.  Only works on cruise ship.

WE DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $9.95 FEE.

If person you are texting has phone turned off you will get message not delivered in response to your text.  Upon turning phone on they will see where you texted.  

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Just back from cruise on Prima. I can confirm that this does work.  Us and couple we were travelling with all had iphones.  It works amazingly well to keep in touch.  Do not know if it works if one or more of parties does not have iphone.

What we did was go to settings and put phones in airplane mode.  Set phones to ships internet.  Worked great throughout trip.  Texting only; will not allow texting of pictures.  Only works on cruise ship.

WE DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $9.95 FEE.

If person you are texting has phone turned off you will get message not delivered in response to your text.  Upon turning phone on they will see where you texted.  

This worked exactly the same way on Escape for our iPhones last week. 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

My experience is, it does not work.  Various group texts I belong to, I couldn't use while on the cruise because one or more people in the group were non-iPhone - so no one would get the message.  But other than that, anyone using iMessage I was able to communicate with, on or off the ship.

• Like 1