Valiant Lady Bathroom Outlets

Sunshineandfun

3 hours ago, jon81uk said:

No outlets in any bathrooms in any cabin category.

That is not true.  We had outlets in our Cheeky Corner Suite bathroom.  There was a plate on the wall above the counter that lifted up to expose standard American outlets.  

There are no outlets in bathrooms until you get to the suite level.  You'll need something that it battery operated and/or rechargeable if you need to use it in the bathroom.  My rechargeable water-pic is not as strong as the plug in, but gets the job done.  FWIW, we were told that outlets in the bathrooms presented a "safety issue."

31 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

FWIW, we were told that outlets in the bathrooms presented a "safety issue."

That might be British roots showing - Brits have strong thoughts about electricity and wet places, probably because it's 240V. You'll find that (typically) even the light switch for a wet location is outside or (if inside the wet room) on a pull string, in order that a wet hand not come into contact with anything electrical. My Mother's downstairs bathroom has the light switch outside (as does the bathroom in our flat in Scotland) and her upstairs bathroom has a pull string for the light switch with nary an outlet to be found in the room itself. Electric razor outlets are the exception.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WanderingBrit said:

That might be British roots showing - Brits have strong thoughts about electricity and wet places, probably because it's 240V. You'll find that (typically) even the light switch for a wet location is outside or (if inside the wet room) on a pull string, in order that a wet hand not come into contact with anything electrical. My Mother's downstairs bathroom has the light switch outside (as does the bathroom in our flat in Scotland) and her upstairs bathroom has a pull string for the light switch with nary an outlet to be found in the room itself. Electric razor outlets are the exception.

Interesting--Disney ships have an outlet  i their bathrooms that only works for electric razors.

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

That is not true.  We had outlets in our Cheeky Corner Suite bathroom.  There was a plate on the wall above the counter that lifted up to expose standard American outlets.  

Okay, sorry, I must have missed that entirely! But it’s been a year since we were last in a suite but I don’t recall noticing it at all, and the hairdryer provided had a European plug anyway so was used in front of the vanity. 

16 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Okay, sorry, I must have missed that entirely! But it’s been a year since we were last in a suite but I don’t recall noticing it at all, and the hairdryer provided had a European plug anyway so was used in front of the vanity. 

The only reason I remember is that for the first time ever, I was able to plug in the charger for my electric toothbrush in the bathroom instead of somewhere in the room itself.  Otherwise, I might not have noticed either.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 3:54 PM, WanderingBrit said:

No, even in the US, a receptacle within 3 feet of a source of water needs to have a GFCI outlet or circuit breaker to alleviate the danger of shock.  Cruise ships don't use GFCI's, they use "shaver outlets" as described below.  I'm surprised that Virgin has outlets in the bathrooms.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:56 PM, cantgetin said:

Interesting--Disney ships have an outlet  i their bathrooms that only works for electric razors.

Most ships have "shaver only" outlets that are limited to 40 milliamps, or about 4 watts (things like shavers, water picks, etc).  If you overload this outlet, it will blow the fuse, and need to have maintenance come to renew the fuse.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, even in the US, a receptacle within 3 feet of a source of water needs to have a GFCI outlet or circuit breaker to alleviate the danger of shock.  Cruise ships don't use GFCI's, they use "shaver outlets" as described below.  I'm surprised that Virgin has outlets in the bathrooms.

The bathroom in the Cheeky Corner suite is much larger than the standard cruise ship bathroom (which do not have the outlets on Virgin).  Not that I actually measured, but I wouldn't be surprised if that covered standard outlet was 3 feet from the sink.  

• Like 1