Does anybody know a local nice, safe beach to spend a few hours in Muara?

Mar1987

18 hours ago, Mar1987 said:

Does anybody know a local nice, safe beach to spend a few hours in Muara, walking distance or short taxi ride from the cruise terminal?

We only spent a couple of days in Brunei, specifically in the capital (BSB) but our understanding is that crime rates are generally low due to harsh punishments. Nonetheless, as you would do anywhere, it is always adviseable to leave your valuables onboard and only take out the minimum you will need.

Having said that, and noting your intention to enjoy a beach day, would suggest you research dress codes for both men and women, both in public areas (between ship and beach and the return) and also on beaches themselves, as  the country is Muslim and there are dress codes for both sexes. Nothing too extreme  unless visiting a mosque, but modest dress for BOTH sexes is required, which is why I suggest you check what the rules are on public beaches.   Dress codes may be a little more relaxed if you are spending the day at a private beach or hotel resort, but that I do not know. Google will be your best friend.

Edited by edinburgher

45 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We only spent a couple of days in Brunei, specifically in the capital (BSB) but our understanding is that crime rates are generally low due to harsh punishments. Nonetheless, as you would do anywhere, it is always adviseable to leave your valuables onboard and only take out the minimum you will need.

Having said that, and noting your intention to enjoy a beach day, would suggest you research dress codes for both men and women, both in public areas (between ship and beach and the return) and also on beaches themselves, as  the country is Muslim and there are dress codes for both sexes. Nothing too extreme  unless visiting a mosque, but modest dress for BOTH sexes is required, which is why I suggest you check what the rules are on public beaches.   Dress codes may be a little more relaxed if you are spending the day at a private beach or hotel resort, but that I do not know. Google will be your best friend.

Ok thanks for your advise! I will keep investigating on Google...

When we were in Muara, we took a taxi to Muara Beach and really enjoyed it. It's only about a 10 minute ride from the cruise port. The beach was lovely - nice soft white sand and clear blue water. We spent a few relaxing hours there swimming and sunbathing. There's also a few beach cafes where you can get snacks and drinks. Feel safe too as plenty of others around. Definitely recommend checking it out if you want a nice local beach experience close to where you're docked.

12 hours ago, helloim_tay said:

When we were in Muara, we took a taxi to Muara Beach and really enjoyed it. It's only about a 10 minute ride from the cruise port. The beach was lovely - nice soft white sand and clear blue water. We spent a few relaxing hours there swimming and sunbathing. There's also a few beach cafes where you can get snacks and drinks. Feel safe too as plenty of others around. Definitely recommend checking it out if you want a nice local beach experience close to where you're docked.

That's great, thanks for your recommendation!

• Like 1

I haven't been to Muara, but should be there in a few months on a cruise.  From what I've read (which isn't a lot!!), if you're there on a cruise, you may have to wait for a taxi, or call for a ride with the local ridesharing company, which is Dart.  They have a helpful website.  There's also apparently a bus that stops at Muara Beach, but I don't know if it comes to the cruise ship area.  I'm attaching a map to show you in general where cruise ships dock, ferries dock, the beach, etc.  But it is not exactly a booming metropolis with much in the way of taxis, ridesharing, etc., and the buses sound like they are a little bit unreliable, so I plan to be cautious.   I'm hoping to get down to the capital city of Bandar Seri Begawan to sightsee, and it's a bit complicated.  But it's nice to hear from the posters above that there are at least a few things at the beach.  Of course, if your on a cruise (Norwegian or Oceania?), there will no doubt be excursions to take, so transportation isn't an issue. But I don't think any excursions on our cruise go to the beach.

I'd love to hear more about Muara if you get there before I do!

Muara map alr ptd.jpg

There is a really nice, safe, clean beach very close to your cabin.

It is right next to the ship’s swimming pool.

No crime.

No taxis to find.

No problem getting food and drinks.

No sand in your things.

No pollution.

No dress code.

No crowds. Everyone else will be ashore.

6 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

There is a really nice, safe, clean beach very close to your cabin.

It is right next to the ship’s swimming pool.

No crime.

No taxis to find.

No problem getting food and drinks.

No sand in your things.

No pollution.

No dress code.

No crowds. Everyone else will be ashore.

Thanks for your "great" suggestion! If I want to bathe in the swimming pool, no need to go on a cruise....I can do that at my home....

12 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I haven't been to Muara, but should be there in a few months on a cruise.  From what I've read (which isn't a lot!!), if you're there on a cruise, you may have to wait for a taxi, or call for a ride with the local ridesharing company, which is Dart.  They have a helpful website.  There's also apparently a bus that stops at Muara Beach, but I don't know if it comes to the cruise ship area.  I'm attaching a map to show you in general where cruise ships dock, ferries dock, the beach, etc.  But it is not exactly a booming metropolis with much in the way of taxis, ridesharing, etc., and the buses sound like they are a little bit unreliable, so I plan to be cautious.   I'm hoping to get down to the capital city of Bandar Seri Begawan to sightsee, and it's a bit complicated.  But it's nice to hear from the posters above that there are at least a few things at the beach.  Of course, if your on a cruise (Norwegian or Oceania?), there will no doubt be excursions to take, so transportation isn't an issue. But I don't think any excursions on our cruise go to the beach.

I'd love to hear more about Muara if you get there before I do!

Muara map alr ptd.jpg

Thanks for your detailed information! I am still planning but it would be on the Oceania "Insignia" next March. "Dart" seems the way to go for local transportation then. Did you hear about Pantai Berakas beach? It seems not far from the port.

12 hours ago, Mar1987 said:

Thanks for your detailed information! I am still planning but it would be on the Oceania "Insignia" next March. "Dart" seems the way to go for local transportation then. Did you hear about Pantai Berakas beach? It seems not far from the port.

I haven't heard about Pantai Berakas beach, but I didn't look at too much other than what is in Bandar Seri Begawan, and a little about Muara, as I was exploring how I could get to BSB.

I see....I was reading a different forum on T.A. and this beach seems to be one of the most recommended. I also read from Muara to BSB, or you take a taxi or a local bus that within 30 mnts reaches it at the cost of 1$.