Are P&O being mean ?

bobstheboy

I wonder what percentage of those who joined the services over the last 50 years actually did active service in a war zone or something akin to that. For the vast majority,  I suspect,  it's just been a pretty well paid career with no great risks attached. 

No problem with that. Perfectly good career with an excellent pension.  But still just a career, with all the risks attached made very clear to those choosing it.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I did time in barracks, a chance to be home after 18 months at sea. You might get 12 months in my day, then another sea draft for up to two years. We weren't conscripted, all volunteers but it's still service for your country.

I'll say no more, not worth the effort.

Isn't what a postman does, or a nurse, or a doctor, or a care worker also performing equally valuable service for the country?  It's difficult to see any real distinction in peace time, given that everybody knows exactly what they're agreeing to, along with any risks, when they take employment.  And the services can be, justifiably, a pretty well paid job for those with few educational qualifications to market elsewhere.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry Bob but you would have had to salute to me 😀 mate.

I also actually worked with the Police at Tulliallen and enjoyed the officers bar there, brilliant gantry of whisky with proper Scottish measures, a nice restaurant, pool and a gallery with battens and helmets from around the globe. Interesting place.

What a fantastic name! I looked it up to see if it was an actual place. I love words and unusual town names 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Most companies don’t allow two discounts to be combined, particularly when margins are thin. P&O is not unusual, I suspect.

We seem to get lots of vouchers and offers, particularly restaurants.  DW also has a discount card. You are very rarely able to use both together. Its a case if picking the best one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We seem to get lots of vouchers and offers, particularly restaurants.  DW also has a discount card. You are very rarely able to use both together. Its a case if picking the best one.

That’s always been our experience too. Discounts and incentives are rarely given because a company wants to help a particular group in society - it’s because they think the extra sales will exceed the cost of the discount. That doesn’t normally work if two discounts are claimed. Hard economics.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder what percentage of those who joined the services over the last 50 years actually did active service in a war zone or something akin to that. For the vast majority,  I suspect,  it's just been a pretty well paid career with no great risks attached. 

That might have been true in the latter decades of the Cold War.  But, the hundreds of thousands who served in the Falklands, Northern Ireland, former Yugoslavia, Iraq and Afghanistan might disagree with you.

I served 4 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan between 2003 and 2018 and that was not at all unusual.  I'd estimate that a very high percentage (probably 90%) of personnel who joined the UK military after 2000 and served for more than 5 years will have served at least one tour in one or the other of those theatres, at huge risk to life and limb.  It is nice of Carnival plc to recognise that service and of them (and other cruise lines like Celebrity and MSC) also to recognise military personnel as well as other groups who put themselves at risk while performing a public service such as first responders.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 11