NCL shuttle from port to town: Greek Isles

CCJack

I am wondering if NCL has a shuttle to the old town for Rhodes and also Mykonos.  It appears to me that the ships dock close to town but not walking distance close.   I understand you can take a water taxi in Mykonos from new port to town, but I was wondering there is also an NCL shuttle.   .  (I know that Santorini is a whole different (complicated) story !!)

thanks

31 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Rhodes old town is a very short walk from the cruise port. If the walk there is a problem then you aren’t going to get far in the town.

thanks.  that is good news... We are walkers, won't be a problem.  I was confused as I was looking at the big piers south of Rhodes town - upon further zooming on google maps, those look like marinas for yachts or something.     My way of finding cruise terminals is not very sophisticated, I look at google maps and look for cruise ships parked....  and in Rhodes there are no cruise ships parked at the cruise terminal when they snapped the satellite image!

Edited by CCJack

2 hours ago, CCJack said:

I am wondering if NCL has a shuttle to the old town for Rhodes and also Mykonos.  It appears to me that the ships dock close to town but not walking distance close.   I understand you can take a water taxi in Mykonos from new port to town, but I was wondering there is also an NCL shuttle.   .  (I know that Santorini is a whole different (complicated) story !!)

thanks

there is very nice tourist info location inside the old walls of Rhodes.  They will give you a very good walking map.  But it's really more fun to get lost in the maze of streets, find a nice coffee house, have a good nosh, then continue on with the exploration.  you can climb the old walls to get a great view and feel of what it must have been like during the crusades.

both times in Mykonos we were supposed to tender but docked instead.  

If you tender, the free shuttle goes to Mykonos Old Port which puts you at the edge of town; about a 10 minute walk to Little Venice, and another 5 minutes further gets you to the windmills.

If you dock, you can take the free shuttle to Old Port.  Or walk a block and take the SeaBus to Old Port for 2E.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

there is very nice tourist info location inside the old walls of Rhodes.  They will give you a very good walking map.  But it's really more fun to get lost in the maze of streets, find a nice coffee house, have a good nosh, then continue on with the exploration.  you can climb the old walls to get a great view and feel of what it must have been like during the crusades.

thank you, we will do that.   Looking to save some excursion money by DIY in Rhodes and Mykonos.

Loved Rhodes, inside the walls.  We DIY in Rhodes.  But…made the mistake to take the HOHO bus  (parked to the left as you exit the port).  It was really bad.  We didn’t see much, the audio didn’t work and there really wasn’t anyplace you would want to hop off—except maybe the aquarium.

here is one of our favorite pictures from Rhodes.

E622EA08-1CA8-4F2F-AA33-8A7BF44B7E8C.jpeg

Also, if walking is not an issue, I highly recommend taking the NCL excursion to Delos.  So much history you will not get just visiting Mykonos on your own.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There was an NCL shuttle from the new port to town for us. We just followed a Rick Steeves walking tour (kind of) on our own and were more than satisfied. Read about Delos, but after Athens the day before and with Ephesus coming up...thought I might be getting ruined on the ruins already, and figured that old Zeus didn't need any more celebration of his serial rape exploits than he was already getting.)

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 12:54 PM, CCJack said:

thanks

On the Gem in August, we tendered to the old port. It was speedy, because they use local tenders (not the ship's lifeboats). From what I understand, it can vary from week to week and sailing to sailing, so you'll likely only find out onboard (the online port call dock/tender calendars tend to be very inaccurate). 

3 hours ago, quercus alba said:

There was an NCL shuttle from the new port to town for us. We just followed a Rick Steeves walking tour (kind of) on our own and were more than satisfied. Read about Delos, but after Athens the day before and with Ephesus coming up...thought I might be getting ruined on the ruins already, and figured that old Zeus didn't need any more celebration of his serial rape exploits than he was already getting.)

We also did the Rick Steves walking tour, and highly recommend, along with just wandering and getting lost in Mykonos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in Rhodes in September. Ships dock near old Town. Screen shot shows old town below sunset and RCCl ship where the Jade docked during our 3 weeks in Rhodes.

Alot to see in Old Town, plus a castle.

Screenshot_20231208_202542_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1