New to Holland America....some questions

SEAGURRL

On 12/23/2023 at 5:32 PM, OlsSalt said:

Agree. Vancouver is such a lovely setting for a port and the very worst embarkation. Up and down and all over the place.  Can't imagine how much it costs for the armies of people the have to hire to keep everyone headed in the right directions in that unfortunate maze. 

Can you share why Vancouver is so horrible for embarkation and any tips? I will be doing my first ever cruise out of Vancouver and am now nervous. Thx!

16 minutes ago, StuffedOlive said:

Can you share why Vancouver is so horrible for embarkation and any tips? I will be doing my first ever cruise out of Vancouver and am now nervous. Thx!

If you have any mobility issues, do try make plans early for any necessary accommodations.

You go down into the garage, up to the viewing deck area, in this line, and then in that line, and up an escalator and then back down again - or some gosh darn combination of all of the above.

Not well signed so we had to keep asking where the next step would take us.  The last time a few months ago I remember thinking, I would hate to have mobility issues and have to face this. 

They have perfectly nice people to help guide you along, but it is definitely not the straight line one expects in most other terminals.  It just seems more complicated than it needs to be - for a large convention center, but I am sure if they could they would have made it simpler. 

Kind of like a medieval labyrinth - just when you think you get close to your goal, you shoot off in another direction and have wind back again.  (Yes I exaggerate a bit.) No way you can prepare for it, but be sure to pack your patience and good humor.

Just makes finally getting on the ship all the sweeter - ahhhh, home again.  Home, sweet HAL, home.