New to Holland America....some questions

SEAGURRL

I'm considering a cruise on the Koningsdam but haven't ever cruised with Holland America.  I've been on Celebrity mostly, Princess, Carnival and Norwegian.  How does Holland compare to Celebrity and Princess with respect to dining (fixed, etc), entertainment, ship life, etc.

Thanks for any input!

I have found Holland America to be a very close match to Celebrity (IMHO). Celebrity in front on food but HAL in front on itinerary. However I have not cruised Celebrity post COVID, only HAL, and have read things are different so I can't directly compare except to say I have have been very happy with my post COVID HAL cruises.

• Like 2

The Holl

58 minutes ago, SEAGURRL said:

I'm considering a cruise on the Koningsdam but haven't ever cruised with Holland America.  I've been on Celebrity mostly, Princess, Carnival and Norwegian.  How does Holland compare to Celebrity and Princess with respect to dining (fixed, etc), entertainment, ship life, etc.

Thanks for any input!

The kpningsdam is more like the    Soltice class of Celebrity but smaller in tonage at about 99000 tons vs about 128000tons . Celebrity has evening sjows every night ,Joningsdam has deancers  no shows . The HAL ship has music walk , BBKings Blues , Rock music room  --more hard rock nor roknroll which we like . Theu also have billboard on board which is 2 graqnd pianos with players ^ they sing .Usually a man & a woman facing each other .so if you like a variety of music then you will like HAL  on  the Koninsdam  ,a Pinnacle class ship . 

As far as food I found  the Soltice which we did a B2B in March was better  but food is also subjective . If you are going to  Mexcico then they bring Mariachis aboard  .If alska they are the best with Natualists aboard & full  proenade  . If Hawaii they have entertainment like I=Ukelle lessons ,hula lessons & lei making  ie  on the way to Hawaii nor going back 

The gym is very good & so are the change rooms .showers  . The main pool has a cover for bad weather conditions .so swiming is possible with cool cloudy weather . 

The delo sandwhiches are great as is the pizza at the Deli  .dive in is not to be missed for burgwers ,fries & not dogs . The lido food is decent  .

the ships is clean & modern ,Don't miss the  dutch Cafe  mid ships deck 3  starboard .Great pea soip & other dutch specialities free 

Toy will have a great time

• Like 3

Just arrived home after 17 nights on Oosterdam. We really enjoyed the cruise and can say HAL is comparable to Celebrity and Princess:

- food in MDR excellent in terms of quality, presentation and quantity. We ate mostly breakfast and dinner in MDR, and only had 1 bad experience on the first night. We had anytime dining and never had to wait more than 5 min to be seated (by ourselves or at shared table). No issue with timing of courses either. On par with Celebrity, better than Princess.

- Cocktails were inconsistent. It really depended on the bartender making the cocktail whether we got the correct recipie. Beer and wine selection decent. I was sad to see that Courvoisier had been removed as that is my go-to cognac. Celebrity and Princess better for consistency, on par for selection.

- Entertainment was OK. Not the big shows that Celebrity and Princess put on, but good small local acts that we enjoyed. We did not enjoy the house band in the re-branded Rolling Stone lounge.

- Ship life depends on what you enjoy doing. There were many offerings for painting, origami, bridge and other activities that we aren't interested in. Pools, hot tubs and spa were great!

Hope this helps.

Dawn

• Like 4

We've done 1-Trans-Atlantic post-pandemic on Celebrity and 2 Alaska cruises on HAL post-pandemic. The lines are very similar.

We pick by the ports for a particular cruise.

Not picky cruisers, so for us the 2 main differences are

On Celebrity free room service is limited to continental breakfast. A charge for everthing else.

On HAL, at least in Jiuly, al;l room service, with a couple of exceptions was without additional charge.

On Celebrity, at least back in April, you could bring on 2 bottles of wine each in drink in your room at no charge.

On HAL, every bottle is hit with a $20 fee.  As a wine lover I find most wine by-the-glass omn both lines to be inferior and overpriced, so I likie HAL for that.

I agree Celebrity has better entertainment options.

Think food is comparable on either line. I do like HAL's Dive-In (great fries), but felt Celebrity has better pizza.

In the end the ports and timing will make the choice between HAL and Celebrity. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rover16 said:

We've done 1-Trans-Atlantic post-pandemic on Celebrity and 2 Alaska cruises on HAL post-pandemic. The lines are very similar.

We pick by the ports for a particular cruise.

Not picky cruisers, so for us the 2 main differences are

On Celebrity free room service is limited to continental breakfast. A charge for everthing else.

On HAL, at least in Jiuly, al;l room service, with a couple of exceptions was without additional charge.

On Celebrity, at least back in April, you could bring on 2 bottles of wine each in drink in your room at no charge.

On HAL, every bottle is hit with a $20 fee.  As a wine lover I find most wine by-the-glass omn both lines to be inferior and overpriced, so I likie HAL for that.

I agree Celebrity has better entertainment options.

Think food is comparable on either line. I do like HAL's Dive-In (great fries), but felt Celebrity has better pizza.

In the end the ports and timing will make the choice between HAL and Celebrity. 

What do you mean that every bottle of wine has a corkage fee? Even if you open and drink it in your room?

We usually cruise with Celebrity and bring 2 bottles of wine on for consumption in our room and have never paid a corkage fee, so this is new to me.

If we carry it on, do they charge you at embarkation when you are going through security?

1 hour ago, ddmeow said:

We usually cruise with Celebrity and bring 2 bottles of wine on for consumption in our room and have never paid a corkage fee, so this is new to me.

If we carry it on, do they charge you at embarkation when you are going through security?

Yes. At least usually! Every so often we hear (on CC) of people looking for the wine-pay table and not finding it, and going on to board. In that case, you would want to drink in your cabin, as without the sticker you might be challenged elsewhere. Not that I have heard of that, but the normal process is you get a sticker to prove you paid the corkage.

I have zero brand loyalty and have found that overall cruise lines have far more in common than different. I think HAL excels in offering more interesting and unique itineraries, but they tend to lack in entertainment. However; that's pretty broad.

I have found it is far more important to compare ship to ship verses cruise line to cruise line. Example; RCL Rhapsody of the seas could compare to HAL Zaandam. Both older, smaller, less bells and whistles. But you could not compare an Oasis Class RCL ship to anything in the HAL fleet. Same is true with Princess. Some of her older/smaller ships offer a much different experience than her newer larger ships. Perhaps if you share which specific ships you've sailed we could make a better comparison for you.

Overall, I haven't met a cruise ship I didn't enjoy. Nor have I found any one cruise line superior enough that it makes me loyal. I pick each trip based on who I'm sailing with, price, and itininary. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ddmeow said:

Yes they do.  If you are lucky they won’t be bothered but be prepared to pay.

When I sailed on Koningsdam's first voyage, my immediate impression was, "this ship was designed to go head to head with Celebrity."  In the years since both company's have started to diverge their strategies, and each presents different strengths and weaknesses.

Cabins I give to HAL (though K'dam's verandahs feel a bit tighter than Vista and Signature class ships).  However, the Suite product definitely belongs to Celebrity--there is nothing on HAL to compare.  On the other hand, CO (on the Pinnacle ships in particular) presents a distinct advantage over Aqua Class given that it can be applied to any cabin type and the cost is quite reasonable, especially if you maximize the upgrade.

Entertainment I give to X (not even a contest)

Dining is a bit of a dead heat (controversy!).  Edge class ships probably win over HAL, each of the four 'main' dining rooms feel like specialty venues in their own right.  But Millennium and Solstice class ships there's not much in it.  Fixed dining has always been my go-to on HAL because a dedicated waiter team really does get to know your wants and needs over the course of a cruise.

Public venues, again a bit of a dead heat.  However, a special note about how awful the Edge class are if you're not in the Retreat.  Edge class have no forward facing venue for non-Retreat guests, no wrap around promenade, and many of the public venues (and specialty dining) are in and around the huge echo chamber around and above the Martini Bar.  I have never been on a noisier ship than Edge (though, in fairness, I've never sailed on Carnival).  On the other hand K'dam is completely lacking in any dramatic interior space.  But it has the Crow's Nest.

The real place the HAL takes a win hands down is in value for money.  Celebrity is increasingly pricing itself way beyond what is reasonable when comparing with other lines.  You can book yourself a verandah with Club Orange, upgrade into a V or a VA, add on Have it All and get yourself a Thermal Suite pass for the full voyage and you still will likely have change from an Aqua Class fare on a similar itinerary on X.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, crystalspin said:

Yes. At least usually! Every so often we hear (on CC) of people looking for the wine-pay table and not finding it, and going on to board. In that case, you would want to drink in your cabin, as without the sticker you might be challenged elsewhere. Not that I have heard of that, but the normal process is you get a sticker to prove you paid the corkage.

On 12/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, ddmeow said:

HAL policy is you can bring on a "reasonable amount" (subjective until tested) at embarkation; must be in your carry-on and go through security scanner. We have always complied and been prepared to pay corkage fee, but not once have we been charged. Maybe they know we are wine-ignorant and our pretty bottles are not worthy to drink, so they feel sorry for us and simply let us slide...? 🫣We have even been asked as the bag passed through the scanner "two bottles of wine, right?" and still not charged. But we fully understand there should be a charge and will happily pay w/o grumbling if we are charged.

There are a few exceptions, like Italy and Albania, where you can bring wine on in port and take it to your cabin w/o a fee and w/o leaving it at the liquor table. I confess we may have stocked up...

• Haha 2

Princess has no fixed dining. HAL still does. So if you like the experience of sitting with 4- 6 people for the length of your cruise every night, you get that on HAL. I think it may be the only line still doing that. I love having the same waiter every night and the same time. Its a huge plus! The big cabin size and the overall staff friendliness has brought me back to HAL for years. 

• Like 3

FIXED DINING:  cuts down on a lot of the heavy traffic complaints and noise reported in any-time dining. Everyone starts at pretty much the same time, courses come out smoothly, and people are not coming and going at all times between the tables.

Since fixed-dining is usually offered in the smaller upper level dining room, the whole ambience can be more sedate. Timing of late has been more compatible with show times, or attending the early show and then going to dinner. 

I wonder how the dining stewards view the two options.  I suspect the fixed dining staff likes the fact they garner more personal tips, since a relationship is developed in this setting. When we have tried anytime dining, it does feel more rushed and impersonal. It is more food service which is fine, but it is not dining. Good there are still choices between the two options on HAL. 

• Like 1

Comparing Pinnacle Class HAL ships and Celebrity Edge 

Class we prefer HAL by a country mile for the following

reasons :

Entertainment on MusicWalk :  A rock band, a Motown/soul

band and two pianos. I don’t care for the production shows

on X. I prefer listening to the music I grew up

listening to (and still listen to).

Forward facing lounge. There isn’t one on Edge Class unless

you are in a suite. We always book balconies.

Cabins. Not keen on Infinity cabins on X.

Food. Much more imaginative menus on HAL.

Dutch Cafe. Nice environment and some interesting items

to choose from.

Swimming pool. On X it is much shallower and probably a

bit smaller. It is more like a large plunge pool.

Bars. Seem to be more of them on HAL and we prefer their

general ambience.

Drinks package. More extensive and perhaps better value.

As always, these are personal opinions. Not everybody will

share them !  They are based on just our 2023 cruises.

Two on each cruise line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my general impressions based on one cruise on each:

My background includes 15 years of culinary experience so I am a bit picky.

HAL has far more creative menus throughout the ship and more food available later into the night.  And HAL consistently delivered well executed dishes throughout the cruise.  Celebrity generally delivered well prepared food but there were a number of basic dishes that were misses.  Lentils that were not fully cooked, el dente risotto, Banana Foster where the bananas were raw.  What is ironic is that i found some of these issues on Royal Caribbean.

I thought that Celebrity had better service in that the MDR staff stayed with you until you were done.  HAL staff would get you all your food and then move on.  This might have been due to staff shortages post-Covid.

I liked the music walk and the main theatre entertainment was top notch and what I was looking for.  Celebrity had good entertainment options BUT the sound and lighting systems on the Millennium was primitive.  I have seen better high school set ups.

Embarkation was another issue.  HAL requires you to wait until the minute you are assigned to board even when there is no line.  We prepared to do the same when boarding a Celebrity ship when a staff member came out there and told us we could board 90 minutes early.

I enjoyed both cruise lines and have a 10 day cruise and a 14 day cruise booked on HAL and a 7 day cruise with Celebrity.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

HAL requires you to wait until the minute you are assigned to board

Depends on embarkation port.  Some are stricter than others.

Out of interest did you board both cruises in the same embarkation port?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

HAL was in San Diego.

Celebrity was in Fort Lauderdale.

I recently commented on this very topic- San Diego port team needs to follow other ports - would make for a much smoother, quicker, less stressful experience. San Diego is likely 2nd only to Vancouver in horrible boarding process. Ugh

FLL is one of the easiest (with Seattle being the other).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I recently commented on this very topic- San Diego port team needs to follow other ports - would make for a much smoother, quicker, less stressful experience. San Diego is likely 2nd only to Vancouver in horrible boarding process. Ugh

FLL is one of the easiest (with Seattle being the other).

Agree. Vancouver is such a lovely setting for a port and the very worst embarkation. Up and down and all over the place.  Can't imagine how much it costs for the armies of people the have to hire to keep everyone headed in the right directions in that unfortunate maze. 

SD is just too small for the larger ships that come in. Looks like they are trying to fix that after the disaster of that secondary terminal they installed a few years ago. It looks like it is getting expanded and redesigned. 

Cruise ship embarkation is certainly an evolving art form, and does needs to be designed to handle the unique traffic flow. Though it is improving with facial recognition and having cabin cards at the cabin door, instead of going to a separate sign in desk in the terminal. 

• Like 1