Reasons to NOT add another person to your cruise

Everydaymatters

I have taken many solo trips, but this is the first time on a cruise. Feeling a bit insecure and knowing it cost a whole lot more with the single supplment, I decided to see if I could find someone to travel with me. The first person was all enthused about it but had a huge arguement with the better half over it and had to back out. The second person was thrilled but when it came to the nitty-gritty of planning, decided it was too close to the time they were moving into their new home. Now the third person would like to go, but wants to upgrade. Well, that certainly doesn't save me a dime, which was one of the reasons for adding someone. In fact, it makes it more expensive. So here I am, trying to figure out a way to get out of this and still remain friends.

The moral of this story is: Stick to your original plan and go solo!!! :eek:

So here I am, trying to figure out a way to get out of this and still remain friends.

The moral of this story is: Stick to your original plan and go solo!!! :eek:

Just tell the friend the truth ... you don't want to spend the money for an upgrade, or you're on a budget and really can't afford to upgrade on this cruise. If he/she gets offended by that, it's their problem. Most people will understand and there will be no hard feelings. Your friend can decide whether he/she wants to accept the more modest accommodations, or can back out of the deal. It's their choice.

I agree 100% with you, by the way. I've had so many bad experiences with people who seemed enthused about going on vacation, only to back out when the time came to part with deposit money. I've found that I am better off just making my plans and going ... without even thinking about waiting for others. Seems they wind up cancelling out anyway, and by that time I'm often set up for something less than the vacation I would have planned if I had gone into it knowing I would be traveling solo.

That's the nice thing about cruising, though ... you can go on the trip solo, but not be alone. Lots of people onboard who are bent toward being friendly. So, I don't mind traveling by myself at all when it's on a cruise. In fact, to be honest, I kind of prefer it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think that both cruises and tours are pretty easy for a solo traveller to do and I'm not the most independent traveller out there.

Like Rita, after a few friends backed out of trips, I just decided not to ask/wait around for others to join me. This way I get to choose the tour/cruise that works bet for me.

I shared a cabin/rooms on my Russia river tour/cruise last June. This was my most expensive trip so far and I felt that the only way I could swing it was to risk sharing with a stranger. I lucked out--this share worked out fine.

On less expensive trips I book solo. It's really a treat to have a room/cabin to ones self.

Faith

• 1 month later...

dont worry bout them if they cant accept the cabin you want. anyway solo cruising is the best. more space, no looking for others for half an hour always being concerned whether you have to make the fun. you basically have to worry about no one except yourself and that in itself is relaxing.:D

go on and love your cruise and meeting new people can all be on your on terms no forceful pressures to do stuff that bores you!

have fun. dont worry . be happy

I was going to try my first solo cruise this year. At first nobody wanted to go, so I said hey I'll go by myself. I paid double the fare and I was ok with it. Then my daughter, who was always my cruise partner, decided to go with me and only had to pay tax and port charges. She was happy about that. She met her husband on the Norwegian Majesty. He was on the CD's staff. He gave it all up to come home and marry her. It will be a year next month. He's ok with her going with me, and she's happy to be cruising again. I will try the solo thing someday though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ahmen

i love to cruise alone and have done so many times. i have been single for many years and am '' kind of set in my ways '' ( :) ). i am a very nice person and enjoy others company , but when it comes to my privacy and doing things on my own i get a little territorial. i do not do this in a nasty way , but i am better off being free to do as i please , when i want or do nothing at all without feeling i am forced to participate in a activity or something that has no interest for me. i love to mingle with others and go on tours with groups but this is done as a '' my choice to do so with the freedom to wander off is i so wish ''.

the privacy in the cabin -- PRICELESS.

going solo is worth every penny to me. i never feel alone or bored and there are wonderful passengers to spend time with if i want. other wise i can go back to the cabin and take a nap, read or just set somewhere alone and look out at the ocean and daydream about my next cruise or what i want to do on the ship or port. i would like to go on a group cruise one day since i know that i will be free to do things on my own or be involved in the activities if they interest me. that is a different scenio all together. i would not be attatched at the hip as i would feel like if i were with a close friend who was afraid to do anything on their own.

please do not think i am a harsh or selfish person, i am not , but i love to go solo on my cruises and be totally in controll of how i spend my time and cabin privacy.

going solo-- it is the best for me.

musicmansmom......that's exactly how I feel. I don't feel that I am selfish or greedy....I really like my own space. I'v never been one to need a person to entertain me. I also like the freedom to come and go and use the cabin as I wish.

I just came through a terrible experience pairing up with a 'friend' on a cruise that I originally booked solo. I had cruised with her before, both as a roomie, and separate cabins...so I thought it would be okay. I did say that I had my own port plans...and we weren't joined at the hip. She agreed...but then I guess she forgot once the cruise was underway. From called me "Stupid" at how I spent $5 on a cablecar ride...to telling me that I was a bad companion to having hissy fits and downright temper tantrums..and more that I won't go into....needless to say I cancelled a future cruise with her as soon as I got home....she hasn't spoken to me since. So she wasn't really a friend afterall. She doesn't want to cruise alone.....but I'm afraid she'll have to have an attitude adjustment of some sort!

Sure cruising solo costs more.....but it's value for money as far as I'm concerned.

im so glad some one else feels the same way i do. to be honest, i dont know if anyone could stand to be trapped with me for a week in a cabin. like i said, im set in my ways ( in a nice way ) but it might bother others to be confined with me. i am so happy to be alone in the cabin.

have wonderful cruises and i know i will too.

I really enjoy doing tours and cruises on my own. I see this as the best of all worlds--I'm social with others a lot of the time, pretty much can do what I want and don't have to 'check in' with others, and have privacy at the end of the day.

Ladysail, I've seen some terrible travel pairings of good friends on some of my tours. My take on this in some cases was that one person was pretty independent and that the other person was pretty clingy.

Faith

Faith....I agree with you...in this case I had spelled out in advance how I had planned things (I had originally booked it on my own)...and she agreed to it. So it was a surprise to me to hear her complaints and criticisms so much of the time. But life goes on..and she didn't ruin my cruise.....and I learned alot.....although she no longer speaks to me. But I figure...she couldn't have been much of a friend to start with. So really, she is the loser in the long run.

I like also to be with folks for tours or dinner or trivia...but when I feel like being alone....I can. It is the best of both worlds.

Musicmansmom....I think there are lots of us who think the same. It's better to be true to oneself than to suffer in silence. Most of us have a boss to please, kids to endure, dh to compromise with.....so a cruise is a great place to please only ourselves. And I don't mean in a selfish way....in a relaxed, stressfree, enjoyable way....where everyone benefits when we get home.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruises.....as do I !

I wholeheartedly agree, that it's better to cruise alone than with someone else, just because of the price. I went alone on many organized and unorganized trips, and it's never been a problem for me to find people to talk to when I wanted. On the contrary, being alone makes others much more comfortable to start a conversation, because they don't feel like they're interrupting or disturbing you as much.

On my Princess cruises, so far, I have taken my mom along. But, since we're living on different continents (Germany for her, US for me), we thoroughly enjoy this special time together. We both also respect each other's need for a little personal time every now and then, so it works out great. But other than her, I can't think of a single person, neither friend nor family, that I would want to share the somewhat restricted quarters on a cruise ship with. I'd be happy for many people to tag along, but not in my cabin!

Here-Here ladies :) . i did not think that were so many others that thought so much like me on this cruise option.

so here is a toast to us '' solo cruzin ladies '' who love to have a wonderful vacation, have the freedom and courage to do it , plus make ourselfs happy.

happy single crusing to all of us.

I also raise my glass to us solo cruzin ladies too!! Definitely "happy single cruising" to all of us too! I second your motion, Musicmansmom!!!

Threecats....I love your avatar.....I have two cats.....I'd take them on a cruise with me...:p ...if they'd let me......!

Archived