St Thomas DIY

junieh

It will be out first time visiting St Thomas next month and we want to explore it ourselves rather than get an excursion. We have a pretty long stop, from 9 am - 7pm and we want to make the best of our time on the island. We want to spend a few hours at Magens Bay and then walk around Charlotte Amelie to do some shopping, have some lunch and a few drinks and if we still have time left, maybe go up to Paradise Point as well. I have done my research and I know we can take one of those open air shuttle buses / taxis to Magens Bay and back to the port but do they also go via downtown area if we want to be dropped off there on the way back? Or are there regular, individual taxis at Magens Bay that we can take so we can go wherever we want? Also, just so I know how to time everything, those shuttle buses, do they leave at certain times or will we need to wait for them to fill up? On the way back from downtown, can we find taxis easily or would it be an easy walk back instead?

Also, any recommendations about where to go in town for some strolling, shopping and some lunch and drinks would be very much appreciated!

Best to take an island tour that offers a stop in town and at Magens Bay. These tours typically last 4+ hours and return you to your ship. You'll still have time to go to Paradise Point.

See a recent post here:

• Like 1

Thank you. We really don't want an organised tour as we would prefer to have the freedom to move around at our own pace and also because we want to explore the downtown area after the beach so we don't want to come back to the ship. From research I know it is easy to get to Magens Bay from the port but I am unsure as to whether or not the buses back from Magens Bay offer the option to get off downtown rather than at the port and if not, if regular taxis are available so we can go where we want to go.