Shore excursions recommendations

Bluestar01

I know there are lots of threads on here about excursions but before I get overwhelmed with recommendations, those who have been to these ports in Spain, can you please give your top recommendation that you think is a must to visit for a first time travelers with teen daughters? We will be visiting in June2024 on NCl Getaway and it’s very port packed itinerary. So any DIYs or decent budget options are welcome. Thanks so much,

ports we will be visiting are 

Seville (Cadiz) 

Granada (Malaga)

Ibiza

Palma (Majorca) 

and Barcelona, but we will stay for couple days extra at Barcelona after the cruise.

I visited Cadiz and Malaga on a Carnival cruise this past September.  It's hard to know what to recommend not knowing anything about your interests and travel style.  But I can say that Seville and Granada, while presumably fabulous destinations, are some distance from the ports of Cadiz and Malaga.  My choice was not to spend a good part of the day in transit, whether on a cruise excursion or a private tour.   

I don't know what excursions NCL offers.   From Cadiz, I took Carnival's excursion to two of the "white villages" of Andalusia, and I enjoyed it a lot.  We had a great guide, plus we had some time on our own to explore.   One of the towns was quite hilly, so someone with mobility issues could find the walking to be difficult.  

In Malaga, I took a walking tour of the city, with the highlight being a visit to the Alcazaba.  This was a Carnival excursion.   The walking within the city was on level ground (and included Picasso's childhood home), but the tour of the Alcazaba required a lot of walking on inclines.  There is an elevator, but if you use it, you miss out on a lot of the sights on the way up to the top.

In both ports, we docked close enough to town so that one could take off from the ship and explore the port city on foot.  There was a big beach within sight in Malaga, though I don't know if it was public.

Have a great cruise.   A friend and I will be on the Getaway in May in Northern Europe.  

15 hours ago, Bluestar01 said:

So any DIYs or decent budget options are welcome.

Cadiz, Malaga and  Palma Majorca are all easy to DIY, although if you wanted Granada from Malaga, it is quite a distance and you would be advised to take a ship shorex for that, as timed entry tickets are also required.  Plenty to see and do in Malaga without any private tours or a shorex especially for a first visit and you won't feel it necessary to travel out of town.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=malaga&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=465

Same with Cadiz.  Dock right in historic centre, no need to go to Seville unless you absolutely must, cross the street for the historic centre, turn right for the parks, gardens and seaside walk. You could visit elsewhere in the area but if a first visit everrthing will be new anyway.Lots to see and do here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=cadiz&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=465

Palma there is a pinned thread at the top of the Spain Ports Board which might be helpful to read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697012-palma-de-mallorca-diy-new/page/18/#comment-65692562

Ibiza you might want to consider a beach day.

In all three of the non beach day ports, DIYing is an easy and an inexpensive way for a familiy to spend the day. 

To make the most of your time in each, you could use the CC search tool for each port call  to bring up previous threads and posts and choose which to read.  You can also read, read, and read even more online websites by searching something like "Tourist info ?".  Unfortunately you do need to put in the homework. There are also review sites such as Tripadvisor, also You Tube videos and don't forget to check the official websites for Tourist Information in each as these city council websites are usually full of suggestions and information.  Google really will be your new friend.  By reading and deciding which sights in each are of interest to you, not to others,you can plan your days quite easily.

And to spread the load a little, your teen daughters can read too and may have their own suggestions to make.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

there are guide books specific to Med cruises, ie Rick Steves has Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  The books provide info on the history of each port, sights, activities, tours, DIY options and how to get around.  Borrow from the library or buy on amazon.

Be sure to involve your teens so that you get their input and buy-in.

Edited by mapleleaves