Neptune Battle Tours

laurieb

"Overlord" is by far the best-known & a highly-regarded operator, but books-out early.

I've not heard of Neptune but their website is excellent and they get very good reviews.

But Neptune appear to only offer tours from Bayeux or Carentan (Carentan is the closer to Cherbourg, a 30 minute direct train ride) but the train service - in both directions - is only every two hours.

Train info on Neptune's website is geared to folk travelling from Paris, so I'm guessing that the timing of their tours is geared to the time of trains from / back to Paris - that's an added limitation.

So I'd be very very wary of timings.

(BTW some ships are in Cherbourg for only a half-day)

But Neptune's prices are per van (and very much in line with Overlord's prices) so it's well worth asking whether they can offer a tour from / back to the ship in Cherbourg. Their American sector tours include Ste-Mere-Eglise - Cherbourg port is only 35 minutes beyond.

Booking a van would involve your finding (reliable) sharers via your cruise roll-call, which can be problematic.

A visit to D-Day sights is well-worthwhile, so do persevere to fix something up.

If Neptune is too problematic, consider booking a car (with English-speaking driver) from a Cherbourg taxi service.

Or even rent a car - navigation is pretty simple, roads are uncrowded & there's ample free parking at the various sites.

For either of those options you can halve the cost by finding sharers, and they would in any case be cheaper than Neptune or Overlord.

You'd have to forgo a guide, but a little boning-up in advance plus on-site staff and signage would be adequate, and if you quote your date and times in port we can suggest an itinerary.

Or bite the bullet & book one of your ship's over-priced tours.

Happy hunting

JB 🙂

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

"Overlord" is by far the best-known & a highly-regarded operator, but books-out early.

I've not heard of Neptune but their website is excellent and they get very good reviews.

But Neptune appear to only offer tours from Bayeux or Carentan (Carentan is the closer to Cherbourg, a 30 minute direct train ride) but the train service - in both directions - is only every two hours.

Train info on Neptune's website is geared to folk travelling from Paris, so I'm guessing that the timing of their tours is geared to the time of trains from / back to Paris - that's an added limitation.

So I'd be very very wary of timings.

(BTW some ships are in Cherbourg for only a half-day)

But Neptune's prices are per van (and very much in line with Overlord's prices) so it's well worth asking whether they can offer a tour from / back to the ship in Cherbourg. Their American sector tours include Ste-Mere-Eglise - Cherbourg port is only 35 minutes beyond.

Booking a van would involve your finding (reliable) sharers via your cruise roll-call, which can be problematic.

A visit to D-Day sights is well-worthwhile, so do persevere to fix something up.

If Neptune is too problematic, consider booking a car (with English-speaking driver) from a Cherbourg taxi service.

Or even rent a car - navigation is pretty simple, roads are uncrowded & there's ample free parking at the various sites.

For either of those options you can halve the cost by finding sharers, and they would in any case be cheaper than Neptune or Overlord.

You'd have to forgo a guide, but a little boning-up in advance plus on-site staff and signage would be adequate, and if you quote your date and times in port we can suggest an itinerary.

Or bite the bullet & book one of your ship's over-priced tours.

Happy hunting

JB 🙂

He will pick up and drop off at the port.  We're in port 8am-10pm