Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

On 2/18/2024 at 1:33 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We get to Ho Chi Minh a day early but too late to really do much and are leaving four or five hours early. No mention in this letter about excursions that are scheduled to get back to the ship three hours after the ship will now be leaving. 

We have the same change on the Neptune.

On 2/23/2024 at 5:43 PM, SantaFe1 said:

We really enjoyed Africa and our two day Safari in Kruger

Do you remember if in 2019 this safari in Kruger was an included tour or optional? We at the Neptune were promised an included safari in South Africa but considering that we have no overnights in the country and will have 800+ passengers, I don't see how this is logistically possible, unless it's a shuttle to a reserve nearby a port. This will be interesting to see. 

Edited by Tango_01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tango_01 said:

Do you remember if in 2019 this safari in Kruger was an included tour or optional? We at the Neptune were promised an included safari in South Africa but considering that we have no overnights in the country and will have 800+ passengers, I don't see how this is logistically possible, unless it's a shuttle to a reserve nearby a port. This will be interesting to see. 

Not an answer to your question, but If you listen closely to the announcement video, the lady says that one of the “Safaris” is already arranged from Fort Elizabeth. She says it’s to Addo Game Preserve.  A friend has visited this one, and says it’s a nice one but it is not like going on a safari. A review of their website notes that it’s possible to drive through in your own vehicle so I’m suspecting this may be one of the included safaris-a bunch of us on a bus driving through the preserve.   

I remain hopeful they will offer an overland excursion leaving from one port and returning to another that has a two or more night (real) safari.  Of course with my luck, all the OS, ES, P, and PV folks will get all the spots and we will end up having to spend our onboard credits on Dale of Norway sweaters.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If anyone is interested in visiting the Auditorio in Santa Cruz de Tenerife designed by Calatrava (Spanish architect), 45 min guided tours are available for €5 per person.  Mike and I have made reservations for the 2pm tour. If you want to join us, just let me know.  Google says the concert hall is a 15 drive from the port-so sharing a cab or Uber would be great!  

if you want to make a reservation, email:

visitas@auditoriodetenerife.com

IMG_1896.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

If anyone is interested in visiting the Auditorio in Santa Cruz de Tenerife designed by Calatrava (Spanish architect), 45 min guided tours are available for €5 per person.  Mike and I have made reservations for the 2pm tour. If you want to join us, just let me know.  Google says the concert hall is a 15 drive from the port-so sharing a cab or Uber would be great!  

if you want to make a reservation, email:

visitas@auditoriodetenerife.com

IMG_1896.jpeg

Be careful Clay, Tenerife is a favourite haunt of the UK tourist 😀

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tango_01 said:

The Kruger excursions were optional and offered as 2 or 3 day safaris.  They were several thousand dollars, but we had more than enough Viking OBC given as a WC perk to pay for them.  We had to go from our docking at Mozambique on a bus into SA, and then go through a rather diligent customs there, then on a different bus and into the Park.  We had a late afternoon Safari  and an early morning Safari the next day.  They were excellent!!!  Then on a bus to the airport where we flew to meet the ship in Durban.  We also did a day trip Safari at Bandia outside Dakar and didn’t enjoy it that much.  As your friend said, really not a Safari.  Our WC also had an overland excursion of maybe 5 days.  We did not take it.  But again, except for Mozambique, where many people did not leave the ship, and Dakar, where i wouldn’t leave the ship if I had it to do over again, we really enjoyed our trip up the W coast of Africa.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not an answer to your question, but If you listen closely to the announcement video, the lady says that one of the “Safaris” is already arranged from Fort Elizabeth. She says it’s to Addo Game Preserve.  A friend has visited this one, and says it’s a nice one but it is not like going on a safari. A review of their website notes that it’s possible to drive through in your own vehicle so I’m suspecting this may be one of the included safaris-a bunch of us on a bus driving through the preserve.   

I remain hopeful they will offer an overland excursion leaving from one port and returning to another that has a two or more night (real) safari.  Of course with my luck, all the OS, ES, P, and PV folks will get all the spots and we will end up having to spend our onboard credits on Dale of Norway sweaters.  

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not an answer to your question, but If you listen closely to the announcement video, the lady says that one of the “Safaris” is already arranged from Fort Elizabeth. She says it’s to Addo Game Preserve. 

I think the two videos are different, as the itinerary is not the same.  The Neptune doesn't mention Reunion and it covers the 2 stops in Namibia. The video didn't provide details about South Africa, the lady just said that "we have made the point to offer one included safari for everyone on board, we are in the final stages of preparation and whether we will be able to offer it in only one port or spread across the ports, we are finalizing that part, but it is guaranteed that every guest will have access to an included safari, among many other included options that we will have in every port of South Africa." No further details and still no arrival and departure times. 

Edited by Tango_01

6 hours ago, Tango_01 said:

I think the two videos are different, as the itinerary is not the same.  The Neptune doesn't mention Reunion and it covers the 2 stops in Namibia. The video didn't provide details about South Africa, the lady just said that "we have made the point to offer one included safari for everyone on board, we are in the final stages of preparation and whether we will be able to offer it in only one port or spread across the ports, we are finalizing that part, but it is guaranteed that every guest will have access to an included safari, among many other included options that we will have in every port of South Africa." No further details and still no arrival and departure times. 

I didn’t realize the iteniaries were not identical #NeptuneGetsEverything

Had a great time in Bali so far. Trying to regain our strength after yesterday’s taxi tour and evening optional excursion to Bali Bird Park, and this morning’s included market and temple tour. It is so so hot-zaps all my energy!

Our tour yesterday with Steve and Jeanne we met onboard, was great fun. Temple, coffee, and batik. Mike got a shirt and I got a sarong.  I tried on the 5xl (in US I buy 3XLT) it wouldn’t go over my shoulders.  Mike who normally a 2xl had to buy a 4XL. Mike had me buy a 2nd matching sarong so they will end up being a bedspread or the caftan I’ve been wanting😂

The bird park dinner was meh, but the show was great-ended with one of the performers throwing himself into a bonfire….several times!

Folks who went on the Hyatt dinner seemed to have opposing opinions. Apparently they moved it from the beach to a covered area that was hot and crowded. From what I can understand their show wasn’t as elaborate as ours. Folks who did the temple and dinner, said their food was amazing. Viking had local dancers perform a show onboard last night.  Don't know how it was. 

We enjoyed today’s tour of the market and of the temple. I skipped the museum as I was so hot. Mike said I made a good decision.

lots of pictures on Instagram 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IMG_2273.thumb.jpeg.030c1a187f31c1c74280f3d28e26e142.jpegIMG_2285.thumb.jpeg.3e7614503079a45925a2354b88f02bec.jpegDay two and Bali was good-includes tour and then heavenly AC.  Wish we had of had the energy like some to go back out but the heat and humidity really did us in.

Lots of folks had fun dancing under the stars last night before sailaway and once we got underway and had a breeze it was tolerable for us. 

Sea Day today meant Trivia and for the 9th or 10th time the Erica Kanes (former Susan Luccis) tied for first and won in the tie breaker for the 2nd time in 2 months🤬

Tonight the culinary folks put on an amazing Indonesian Dinner on the pool deck.  Lots of food with lots of flavor and some with some heat! Tasty tasty.  It was wonderful outside with a strong breeze but then the rain came, the roof closed and it was hotternhell again 😂

But have to hand it to the chefs and the waiters, they carried on like it was Norway in winter while we went inside with our tropical fruits for dessert in the cool World Cafe. 

IMG_2277.jpeg

• Like 7

Whenever I would tell my family and friends back home how HOT it was in French Polynesia, Australia, and Bali, they'd say....but you live in Tucson!!! Totally different and I kept saying How does anyone LIVE here???

• Like 2

We began our Nov.-Dec. 1996 trip to Bali at the island’s Sanur Beach, where we stayed for several days. I remember walking along the beach boardwalk and thinking about how hot it was — and more importantly, how I could get relief from the heat. Then I realized there were dozens of pools on the hotel and apartment grounds adjoining the boardwalk. So I jumped in one of those pools for a few minutes to cool off. Then I’d get hot again, so it was time to find another pool! I repeated this cycle many times that day. It helped me beat the Balinese heat.

Another hot one in Java-89° with a real feel of 109° at 9:30am!!!

included tour was fine, not much to see but did enjoy seeing and interacting with these warm friendly people. IMG_2306.thumb.jpeg.e95b9740e200b7acd0f98e1353438eab.jpeg

IMG_2370.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

For anyone considering whether to get a yellow fever vaccine or not:

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/africa.html

Thanks Clay. Folks should also read the FAQs from the document - the decision to vax over age 60, especially if it's the first time, warrants some research. 🍺🥌

Who should not get yellow fever vaccine?

Infants younger than 6 months of age should not get the vaccine. In addition, anyone with a severe allergy to any part of the vaccine, including eggs, chicken proteins, or gelatin should not get the vaccine. Anyone who has had a severe reaction to a previous dose of yellow fever vaccine should not be vaccinated again.

If you have any of the following conditions, your healthcare provider can help you decide whether you can safely receive the vaccine:

• HIV/AIDS or other disease that affects the immune system
  • Weakened immune system as a result of cancer or other medical conditions, transplant, or drug treatment (such as steroids, chemotherapy, or others that affect immune function)
  • Thymus disorder
  • Adults 60 years of age and older
  • Infants 6 – 8 months of age
  • Pregnant women and nursing mothers

Hello, friends,

After reading of the hurried decision you all face around yellow fever vaccines, I spoke with my husband, who is a board-certified MD specializing in infectious diseases and who has worked in the University of Washington travel medicine clinic the past 10 years. 

He gave me some statistics that may help you to make a decision. 

Total risk for the two most serious complications of the vaccine is:

1/100,000 for those under 60 years of age

3.5/100,000 for those 60-70

6/100,000 for those over 70

The risk of getting yellow fever is about 50/100,000 if you are in an endemic area ( Senegal looks like the only one you'll visit) for two weeks at peak season, which in Senegal is July-December.  The risk is probably lower if you stay in urban areas.  So, you will be traveling outside the peak season and for just a day or two.  Using lots of mosquito spray with as high a percentage of DEET as you can tolerate will be very protective, as will keeping your skin covered as much as is possible. My husband believes the actual risk of contracting YF will be < 7/100,000 if you use the above mosquito precautions, since you going at a non-peak time.

My husband recommends malaria prophylaxis for those traveling in South Africa, Namibia, and Senegal.  

I hope this reaches you all in time to make an informed decision, and we wish you a wonderful adventure as you continue the world cruise!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

3 minutes ago, soundcruiser said:

Hello, friends,

After reading of the hurried decision you all face around yellow fever vaccines, I spoke with my husband, who is a board-certified MD specializing in infectious diseases and who has worked in the University of Washington travel medicine clinic the past 10 years. 

He gave me some statistics that may help you to make a decision. 

Total risk for the two most serious complications of the vaccine is:

1/100,000 for those under 60 years of age

3.5/100,000 for those 60-70

6/100,000 for those over 70

The risk of getting yellow fever is about 50/100,000 if you are in an endemic area ( Senegal looks like the only one you'll visit) for two weeks at peak season, which in Senegal is July-December.  The risk is probably lower if you stay in urban areas.  So, you will be traveling outside the peak season and for just a day or two.  Using lots of mosquito spray with as high a percentage of DEET as you can tolerate will be very protective, as will keeping your skin covered as much as is possible. My husband believes the actual risk of contracting YF will be < 7/100,000 if you use the above mosquito precautions, since you going at a non-peak time.

My husband recommends malaria prophylaxis for those traveling in South Africa, Namibia, and Senegal.  

I hope this reaches you all in time to make an informed decision, and we wish you a wonderful adventure as you continue the world cruise!

Wow, what a nice and really helpful thing for you to do.  I’m not on this WC, but I think you will have helped so many.  Kudos to you and your husband!  

• Like 6

PRIVATE GUIDE IN BALI:

Our two days in Bali were absolutely wonderful and unforgettable, due in large part to the private guide we used, I Komang Sherif Wirayuda (he goes by either Komang or Sherif).  His contact info is:  SherifWirayuda@gmail.com.  WhatsApp # is:  +62 813-3709-1370.  We highly recommend him.  Read more  detail below.

We had two VERY full days for four of us.  He provided an air-conditioned, comfortable SUV, with a driver, so he was able to provide full guide discussion, and constant Q&A to us without worrying about driving.  Our itinerary day 1 (ship docked at 11, we met up around 11:30):

Visited a family compound, learned about life within the family groups.  He explained everything about the compound to us, and gave us as long as we needed to ask questions.  We were allowed to take whatever photos we wanted.

Artisan workshops:  We were allowed to choose two of the following four:  batik, silver, woodworking and painting.  We chose batik and woodworking.  Very interesting and of course an excellent opportunity to buy some truly locally made goods.

Tegenungan Waterfall:  Touristy but pretty and fun.  We didn't spend too long here as it was quite a walk down to the base of the waterfall (and of course then a long walk up), so we admired from the many viewing points along the top.

Coffee plantation:  We tasted the famous lewak coffee.  Had a sampling with 6 types of delicious herbal teas, 6 coffees/cocoas, and Balinese coffee and the lewak coffee.  Bought some very good lemongrass tea.

Night Safari:  This place was a bit hokey and geared to families and little kids but we all had fun.  There was a second group of 3 who had connected for the same itinerary with one of Sherif's friends so the 7 of us enjoyed together.  Kind of zoo-like but with broader ranges for the animals, but certainly not as big as nature intended.  Nonetheless, we had a very good buffet dinner (they even made a special meal for our vegan & gluten-free friends!), followed by a 15-minute fire dance performance, and then the night safari:  we all piled into a big cage and got driven through the whole place, where we encountered lions (they were resting!), rhinos, zebras, elephants (we were allowed to feed some of the animals carrots), and then the tigers.  Often the tigers jump up on the top of the cage, but they weren't in the mood on our ride.  Instead, one walked around in back of our vehicle, while another one rested on a large boulder right next to where we were stopped.

We got back to the ship around 9:30, exhausted and exhilarated, ready for shower and sleep before our next day which we planned to start at 7:00.

Day 2:

Sherif's home compound: Sherif had offered to bring us to his home compound in a smaller village about 1.5 hours away, and we jumped at the chance.  So that was stop #1.

Rice Terraces - amazing

Ubud Monkey Forest:  These were the "good" monkeys as Sherif explained.  They are kept fed so don't try to steal things (except water bottles) from the tourists.  Another amazing experience!

Lunch at a very nice place just outside of Ubud

Uluwatu Temple - this was quite a drive away from Ubud but well worth it.  FYI, the "bad" monkeys who steal things live here.  My husband nearly lost his glasses to a monkey who jumped onto his shoulder and tried to grab them off his face.

Kecak Sunset Dance - on the temple grounds, a great 45 minute performance as the sun went down over the sea in the background.

We returned to the ship about 8:00, after two wonderful and very full days.  Although there was quite a bit of driving from place to place, Sherif filled the time with providing so much interesting information.  

These two days were a highlight of our cruise and we will never forget them.  We highly recommend him as a guide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

For what it's worth, I scanned the excursion descriptions for the revised ports for the Viking Sky WC (Port Louis, Mauritius to Cape Town, South Africa) and included the summaries in a Word file.

** Port Louis, MAURITIUS - March 30

MUPLU01 - Port Louis & National Botanical Garden [M, 3 hr, Included]
MUPLU03 - Tea Route [M, 7 hr]
MUPLU04 - Scenic South Tour [M, 7½ hr]
MUPLU05 - Sailaway Catamaran Cruise [M, 7¼ hr]
MUPLU06 - Ile des Deux Cocos [E, 7 hr]
MUPLU07 - The Reef by Submarine [M, 3½ hr]
MUPLU09 - Mauritius from Above [E, 1½ hr]
MUPLU10 - Ile aux Cerfs [E, 7 hr]
MUPLU11- Ile aux Aigrettes [M, 4½ hr]
MUPLU12 - Coral Reef Certified Dive [D, 4 hr]

** Le Port, REUNION - March 31

REPDG01 - Vanilla Plantation & Cirque de Salazie [E, 4½ hr, Included]
REPDG02 - Saint-Leu & Turtle Observatory [M, 4½ hr]
REPDG03 - Creole Culture of Réunion [M, 4½ hr]
REPDG04 - Piton de la Fournaise Volcano [M, 8½ hr]
REPDG05 - Wild Southern Shores [E, 9 hr]
REPDG06 - Helicopter Tour [E, 1 hr]

** Richard's Bay, South Africa - April 4

ZARCB01 - DumaZulu Traditional Village [M, 5 hr, Included]
ZARCB02 - St. Lucia Boat Cruise [M, 5 hr]
ZARCB03 - Huhluwe-iMfolozi Park [M, 5¾ hr, Included]
ZARCB04 - Zulu Nyala Day Safari [M, 6¾ hr]
ZARCB05 - Cape Vidal [D, 8 hr]
ZARCB06 - Bird-Watching in the St Lucia Wetlands [D, 5½ hr]
ZARCB07 - Bonamanzi Game Reserve [M, 6½ hr]
ZARCB08 - KwaZulu Natal Overland [M, 3 Days]
      o    2 nights at a private game reserve
      o    3 game drives
      o    flight to Ggeberha
ZARCB09 - Botswana & Victoria Falls Overland [M, 5 Days]
      o    1 night in Johannesburg; 2 nights in Chobe National Park; 1 night in Victoria Falls
      o    4 guided tours: 3 Game Drives; Victoria Falls Walking Tour
     o    Flight from Richard's Bay to Johannesburg, Johannesburg to Kasane and Victoria Falls to Cape Town

** Ggeberha (Port Elizabeth), South Africa - April 6th

ZAPLE01 - Snapshots of Ggeberha [E, 3½ hr, Included]
ZAPLE03 - Scenic Addo Elephant Park [M, 5 hr, Included]
ZAPLE04 - Sundays River Mouth Ferry Cruise [E, 4½ hr]
ZAPLE06 - Townships of Port Elizabeth [M, 4 hr]
ZAPLE08 - Pumba Private Game Reserve [M, 7½ hr]
ZAPLE13 - Kariega Private Game Reserve [D, 8 hr]
ZAPLE14 - Amakhala Private Game Reserve [D, 8 hr]
ZAPLE15 - Sibuya Private Game Reserve [D, 8½ hr]
ZAPLE16 - Schotia Private Game Reserve [D, 5½ hr]
ZAPLE17 - Kwantu Private Game Reserve [D, 8½ hr]
ZAPLE18 - Nyosi Game Drive & Wine Tasting [M, 4½ hr]
ZAPLE19 - Bellevue Forest Reserve [D, 4½ hr]
ZAPLE20 - Addo Elephant Park Panorama [E, 5 hr, Included]
ZAPLE21 - Eastern Cape Overland [M, 3 Days]
      o    2 nights in the Sibuya Game Reserve
      o    4 game drives
      o    Flight from Ggeberha to Cape Town

** Cape Town, South Africa - April 8

ZACPTO1 - Introduction to Cape Town [M, 3½ hr, included]
ZACPT02 - Table Mountain [M, 3 hr, included]
ZACPTO3 - Chapman's Peak & Ou Kaapse Weg Scenic Drive [E, 3 hr]
ZACPT04 - Panoramic Stellenbosch & Wine Tasting [M, 4½ hr, included]
ZACPT05 - Cape Peninsula & Cape Point [M, 8½ hr]
ZACPT08 - Cape Malay Spices & Cuisine [M, 4 hr]
ZACPT11 - Sunset Ocean Cruise [M, 3 hr]
ZACPT12 - Table Mountain & Signal Hill Sundowners [M, 4½ hr]
ZACPT13 - Aquila Private Game Reserve [D, 9½ hr]
ZACPT14 - Kirstenbosch & Constantia Winelands [M, 4 hr]
ZACPT15 - Robben Island [M, 5 ¼ hr]

Africa Excursions List 2024-03-02.docx

Edited by UWDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Steve

you such a better person than me! I have scribbled notes that attempt to do what you’ve made clear.  You will have a spreadsheet ready by this evening for us to use to prioritize right?😂

Friends who have been say Chobe is “amazing” but they expressed concern about not being there in the dry season.  Apparently it is mostly wetlands and when there is water it is harder to find game as water is everywhere-as opposed to the dry season (they were there last September) when the animals have to come to the waterholes that are left. 

Mike and I had fully planned on taking an overland if we can book it, but now given the lack of information (what type accommodations -each preserve has all levels, presume flights are econ seat and will we fit, etc) and the fact that not only will the overnight safaris take all our credits-but will cost an additional $1000-$2500) we are reconsidering.  We wonder if we wouldn’t be better to spend about a $1000 pp and take the longest day trip to see game in each port and have $2000 or so left for western African and on to London for excursions.  We would then go back to our old plan which was a 10-14 day land trip to Africa in a year or two at the best game season and at the accommodation level we want to afford. 🤔

methinks it’s gonna be a tough decision 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Clay, last August we did just that, a 15 day small group (12) land tour in Africa and we consider it one of the very best trips ever.  No way Viking excursions can meet our very high level expectations as to game safaris.  One point, the small aircraft used to access most remote game camps are very small and cramped.  I am 6' 3" 220lbs. Barely fit.  Hope that helps a bit.  Like you we plan to do the best of the day trips.  Btw, we don't get Reunion I don't think.  #skygetsitall??

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

Just now, Jim Avery said:

Clay, last August we did just that, a 15 day small group (12) land tour in Africa and we consider it one of the very best trips ever.  No way Viking excursions can meet our very high level expectations as to game safaris.  One point, the small aircraft used to access most remote game camps are very small and cramped.  I am 6' 3" 220lbs. Barely fit.  Hope that helps a bit.  Like you we plan to do the best of the day trips.  Btw, we don't get Reunion I don't think.  #skygetsitall??

Post a picture of Neptune’s Itinerary?  You know #NeptuneGetsEverything so I am sure you must be getting something better?   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Steve

you such a better person than me! I have scribbled notes that attempt to do what you’ve made clear.  You will have a spreadsheet ready by this evening for us to use to prioritize right?😂

Friends who have been say Chobe is “amazing” but they expressed concern about not being there in the dry season.  Apparently it is mostly wetlands and when there is water it is harder to find game as water is everywhere-as opposed to the dry season (they were there last September) when the animals have to come to the waterholes that are left. 

Mike and I had fully planned on taking an overland if we can book it, but now given the lack of information (what type accommodations -each preserve has all levels, presume flights are econ seat and will we fit, etc) and the fact that not only will the overnight safaris take all our credits-but will cost an additional $1000-$2500) we are reconsidering.  We wonder if we wouldn’t be better to spend about a $1000 pp and take the longest day trip to see game in each port and have $2000 or so left for western African and on to London for excursions.  We would then go back to our old plan which was a 10-14 day land trip to Africa in a year or two at the best game season and at the accommodation level we want to afford. 🤔

methinks it’s gonna be a tough decision 

Clay,

Mike & I visited Chobe National Park during our May 2023 Africa Safari trip. We were in Chobe specifically on May 5 & 6. We had tons of wildlife viewing: lions, giraffes, elephants, Cape buffalo, impala, kudu, hippos, lots of birds.  I think April would also be good, it’s far enough at the end/past rainy season.  I think it will depend greatly on who they get to do the safari.  The guides all work together via radio.  
Karla

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2024 at 5:33 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Had a great dinner tonight at Chef’s Table -really enjoyed the Mexican Menu and the company! After which we stopped by to say goodbye to our favorite server Christian who is leaving us tomorrow😢

There must be more than one Mexican menu?  We had it on Venus 2 weeks ago, appears to be different.   I cannot find my menu, but if I do will post.