Jumped ship to HAL from Celebrity

flashdog_1

The Veendam is a smaller, older ship, probably inbetween the sizes of Century and Zenith. It was easy to negotiate the ship and it was a smooth ride throughout the cruise.

The dining room service was superb. The menu choices were more varied than those of Celebrity, offering some "peasant" food which was interesting. And for those who have reported the overcooked, under seasoned food on HAL, they must have been on a different ship. Vegetables were crisp, lobster perfect.

Like Celebrity, the evening lido choices were fewer than in the dining room, but we never used it since we enjoy the formal dining room very much.

There were perhaps fewer ice cream choices on HAL. There were no Qtips or cotton balls in the bathrooms, but the bedding, even in an inside or ocean view cabin were superior to Celebrity's, comparable to either a suite or Concierge Class bedding.

There was no water pitcher in the room, but a stainless steel ice bucket that was showing some rust on the outside, so I think HAL got ripped off paying for stainless steel! There was no fridge offered except in the highest categories, so we reserved one aheåd of time so we had cold cokes we'd brought on board. No juice, iced tea or lemonade was available 24/7. I'd take my mug to breakfast and fill it with juice so I could have some later in the day. Their oj is freshly squeezed, however!

There were flat screen tvs and a dvd player even in an ocean view cabin. The movies shown on tv were ones that are currently new releases on Netflix or Blockbuster on line, a welcome change from Celebrity.

HAL gives out bags of popcorn outside the movie theater.

They now have a Culinary Arts center which is the same as the movie theater. the CA center is located behind the curtain. We attended one demonstration. it was a little easier to see than in the Rondezvous Lounge on Celebrity. There were cameras focused on the food, which reproduced the subject on the screens on either side of the cooking table.

Bar service was poor. We left the cabin at 7:30 for an 8 p.m dinner. Finally, in order to get a drink, we began to sit at the bar where we could not be ignored. Even then, with one bartender, it was still slow, sometimes having to carry our newly prepared drink to the dining room since it had taken.

Front desk personnel were wonderful. They seemed to be on 12 hour shifts yet were always personable despite their possible fatigue.

The room steward was almost invisible. He left his towel animals and there were always fresh towels etc. but we didn't see him very often. He learned our schedule well so cleaned up when he knew we'd be gone. No complaints.

The HAL room service menu was more limited than that of Celebrity, but I'd been advised to try the triple decker club sandwich, which was good. We only used it once.

I really did not notice a huge difference in overall average ages on the ship. But maybe that's because I'm 65 and edging up there! It was a spring break cruise, so there were people of all ages. Only saw children running at the pool once, never dive bombing. There is an adults only aft pool which is a pleasure, but I don't like the sun, so spent time in the central lido pool area, finding other smokers to socialize with.

The noon time captain's message with other messages added was a pain, but it wasn't too bad.

On this cruise there was no enrichment series which surprised me since it was an exotic western carib, all Mayan ports, so I'd expected some lectures on the culture. I did hear some commentary on the tv, however, but would have missed that because it was probably included in the shopping info, which I always ignore. I will say that the woman's voice was soothing, whereas every single Celebrity shopping "girl" had had a shrill voice.

Perhaps this is because one of our ports, Santo Tomas de Castillo, Guatemala, is relatively new and not many excursions were available. I'd done my own homework and booked the tour I wanted thru a hotel in Livingston, a Garifuna town across Amatique Bay from Santo Tomas. This enabled us to see 3 towns, Santo Tomas, the largest commercial port in guatemala (excellent security) with its 400 year old mission church, the neighboring town of Puerto Barrios where we caught our boat (launcha) to Livingston.

By the time we boarded, however, the almost exact same tour I'd pre-planned was offered by the ship with big letters NEW by it. But our tour was with only 6 people and lasted much longer than the ship's tour, so I'm not sad that I missed HAL's tour.

In general I found the passengers to be more approachable than on Celebrity. I'm not sure I can explain that statement, except that when I wanted to smoke, (and the areas were clearly marked,with a sign on each table) I'd ask if I could sit down with a couple or an individual, and of course they said I could. I made new friends that way, who then would join me in another smoking area in a bar or outdoor decks. Then my daughter knew where to look for me and could call them by name.

I picked this cruise for the itinerary, not because I was displeased with Celebrity. Hal is absolutely comparable to Celebrity if you can live without Q tips (we bought some in Key West) and a water pitcher.

HAL is the one line I would like to try next. I would also love Crystal or Oceania but HAL will be more likely to happen. I did appreciate your review very much. The beds sound great. I do need a good nights sleep and it is hard to get it away from my own.

Last time I did a pre-cruise night we were in a Sheraton in FLL and I loved their sweet sleeper. What a treat.

Beds are wonderful... (We also had the same great europlush beds on new Carnival ship!!!!)

On Zuiderdam there were 8-10 kinds of fresh juices... several available all day long.

That is wonderful news about some juices being available all day on Zuiderdam. I'm looking at one of Z's itineraries. Were they located in the same place the breakfast juices were already poured for you, or in a dispenser such as the coffee one? thanks

We were on Zuiderdam a few years ago. We had a great time. Some things HAL did better and some things Celebrity does better. We still prefer Celebrity but would go on another HAL ship if it is doing a good itinerary. Pat

Good review. I tend to like HAL over Celebrity if taking an older Celebrity ship. You missed the free Cappucino and free hot Hors D'oeurves in the bars on HAL. Plus HAL's older ships have the Pinacle Grill, a great alternative steak house. Older Celebrity ships have none...for now. BTW... I am going on the Mercury next month.

We sailed the Veendam on back to back Alaska summer 2004 and LOVED it. Beds are WONDERFUL, food was excellent, the ship is intimate and we loved the wrap around promenade. The crew were the warmest of all the lines we've tried so far (even the captain). Lectures and enrichment series for Alaska was top notch. They have self serve laundry which we love because we like the longer itineraries. There were passengers of all ages but few children since we were traveling end of May. There were fewer entertainment venues each night due to the ship being smaller and having fewer lounges but all of the entertainers were on par with what we've had on most other lines. We are trying our first X cruise in a couple of weeks but would whole heartedly recommend HAL.

Melissa

Have to agree emphatically with everything you've said. We fell in love with Veendam, and would sail on her again at a moment's notice. The Pinnacle Grill is spectacular and the room service for breakfast was absolutely awesome! Glad you enjoyed her as much as we did!

I did forget to mention that there was free capuccino etc. after dinner in the dining room. The waiter said if we went to the coffee bar after dinner, we'd have to pay for it (this is something new since the refurbishment. It was free before the refurbishment in Explorations). After being served it the first night, it appeared every night thereafter. nice.

Are you saying the food is of the same quality as X?

BTW stainless steel can rust. It depends on the nickle content in the steel. There is cheap stainless and good stainless.

Yes, the food was of the same quality as on X! And there were some simpler choices, as well, without having to resort to a steak and baked potato or a chicken breast.

I HAD to try the HAL meatloaf which Celebrity people can't understand why it's even offered. It was okay, and only offered in the lido at lunch. I guess if you wanted something plain, that'd be it. Tried the bread pudding. Sauce was good.

The taco and other Mexican things like nachos, guacamole, meatless Spanish rice, were fine, and better seasoned than X's offering. French fries were great and freshly made.

I never encountered stale pastries at breakfast which I had on X later in th week. They had the identical chocolate croissants, and some criss crossed almond pastries that tasted similar to baklava every morning. Only filled doughnuts were with jelly, no cream filling.

I enjoyed your comparison of HAL and X. And agree with many of your comments. The food is very good on HAL with the Lido being a little better than X buffet. Miss X breadsticks when on HAL. X specialty restaurant is much better than HAL's. They need to work on the food and service in the Pinnacle. While we prefer X, we will choose HAL over X if the price is lower. Usually we can find a similiar cruise on Hal priced lower than X.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

I have been to the Pinnacle Grill 4 times on HAL and the Olympic on the Millennium. Personally, I like the food and experience on the Pinnacle Grill better. The Pinnacle Grill is as good as Mortons or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. The service has always been great. The Olympic was very good too, but 3 hours for a lot of small dishes was too much. Yes service was good too, but everything was soooo slow.

flashdog_1, I enjoyed your comparison of HAL and Celebrity. I felt much the same way about the differences and similarities. I still love Celebrity a little more, but I'd definitely consider another HAL cruise. :D

One thing on HAL that really wowed me was the pecan pastries!!! OH, GOOD LORD!!!! Those are the best baked goods I've ever tasted!

War eagle yourself. I always take at least one Auburn U. piece of clothing and watch people come out of nowhere to tell me they've attended games, or are from Montgomery, etc. every cruise. Thanks for noticing where I live.

We will be on the Millenium next year and will be anxious to compare HAL/Celebrity.

We enjoyed HAL but had a Norovirus (not Norwalk) outbreak on our New Years Eve cruise. Fortunately we did not get sick, but the ship still had a pall hanging over it. So I'm not sure we had the full experience. Service, food, ship was great otherwise.

Archived