LAX to San Pedro

bosswench

On 12/21/2023 at 8:34 PM, njhorseman said:

With four passengers and a lot of luggage they may need Uber Black SUV if curbside pickup is important.

What is the difference between "curbside" pickup vs. regular pickup?  I've always had normal Uber pick up at the hotel entrance or port/airport designated area in the past.

2 hours ago, bosswench said:

What is the difference between "curbside" pickup vs. regular pickup?  I've always had normal Uber pick up at the hotel entrance or port/airport designated area in the past.

I believe that comment about needing Uber Black curbside pickup is specific to LAX, as Blacks are the only rideshares allowed to pick up at the terminals. All other "lower" level rideshares and most taxis are only allowed to pick up at the LAX-It lot. At hotels, or San Pedro cruise port, any rideshare can pick up "curbside"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosswench said:

As @lx200gps has stated, it's something applicable only to passengers being picked up at LAX. Only "black car" services such as Uber Black and limo companies are permitted to pick up passengers curbside at the airline terminals. Taxis and and other rideshare services, such as Uber, Uber XL and Lyft are only permitted to pick up passengers at the LAX-it area. You either have to take a shuttle or walk from your arrival terminal to LAX-it. https://www.flylax.com/lax-it 

FYI, all taxis and rideshare vehicle are permitted to drop off passengers curbside at the airline terminals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

As @lx200gps has stated, it's something applicable only to passengers being picked up at LAX. Only "black car" services such as Uber Black and limo companies are permitted to pick up passengers curbside at the airline terminals. Taxis and and other rideshare services, such as Uber, Uber XL and Lyft are only permitted to pick up passengers at the LAX-it area. You either have to take a shuttle or walk from your arrival terminal to LAX-it. https://www.flylax.com/lax-it 

FYI, all taxis and rideshare vehicle are permitted to drop off passengers curbside at the airline terminals. 

Thank you for the clarification.  We are arriving at LAX the day before our cruise, taking a hotel shuttle from the airport, but need transportation to the Port the next morning.  The cruise is a Panama Canal transit so our end point is Ft. Lauderdale.

6 minutes ago, bosswench said:

Thank you for the clarification.  We are arriving at LAX the day before our cruise, taking a hotel shuttle from the airport, but need transportation to the Port the next morning.  The cruise is a Panama Canal transit so our end point is Ft. Lauderdale.

Great minds think alike, we're doing exactly the same thing for our next trip in Feb. Since we arrive into LAX late, we'll be staying at the LAX Sheraton on Century Blvd, taking the hotel shuttle from our Terminal 6. The next morning, embarkation day, we'll be Ubering down to San Pedro. Have a great trip...

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, lx200gps said:

Great minds think alike, we're doing exactly the same thing for our next trip in Feb. Since we arrive into LAX late, we'll be staying at the LAX Sheraton on Century Blvd, taking the hotel shuttle from our Terminal 6. The next morning, embarkation day, we'll be Ubering down to San Pedro. Have a great trip...

A different take:

I'm sailing in January with NCL on a trans-canal voyage.

Looking at the options for a hotel chain that I like to use, I chose one that seems a decent choice that is almost exactly half way between LAX and the pier (in Torrance). Just under 12 miles for each leg.

I didn't choose based on being mid-point, it just worked out that way; and there were a few hotels to choose from. This gave choices that did not carry premium prices.

The kicker here is that with my member points, the hotel stay is free.

Perhaps 2 trips is a bigger nuisance, but this options saves me a lot for the hotel,  We have no sightseeing planned, just an overnight stay. And the trip to the terminal on embarkation day will be quicker and have less traffic issues than a trip from LAX. 

I was originally booked on a nearly identical cruise exactly 3 years ago (Covid strikes again).

At that time, I had a free booking (with my BW points) in San Pedro, not far from the pier. That facility had a free shuttle to the terminal. Alas, the hotel is no longer with the chain and neither has the shuttle. 

Hence my plan B.

6 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

A different take:

I'm sailing in January with NCL on a trans-canal voyage.

Looking at the options for a hotel chain that I like to use, I chose one that seems a decent choice that is almost exactly half way between LAX and the pier (in Torrance). Just under 12 miles for each leg.

I didn't choose based on being mid-point, it just worked out that way; and there were a few hotels to choose from. This gave choices that did not carry premium prices.

The kicker here is that with my member points, the hotel stay is free.

Perhaps 2 trips is a bigger nuisance, but this options saves me a lot for the hotel,  We have no sightseeing planned, just an overnight stay. And the trip to the terminal on embarkation day will be quicker and have less traffic issues than a trip from LAX. 

I was originally booked on a nearly identical cruise exactly 3 years ago (Covid strikes again).

At that time, I had a free booking (with my BW points) in San Pedro, not far from the pier. That facility had a free shuttle to the terminal. Alas, the hotel is no longer with the chain and neither has the shuttle. 

Hence my plan B.

That's EXACTLY what we usually do when sailing out of San Pedro. We stopped staying in San Pedro or Long Beach a long time ago. Our usual hotel is the Doubletree in Torrance, right across the street from the Del Amo Mall and as you say, halfway to San Pedro from LAX. Great location, shopping and restaurants a short walk away etc. Sadly, for our next trip in Feb, we arrive into LAX so late that we didn't want to bother with the hassle of LAX-It and the drive down to Torrance, where we wouldn't have time to do anything anyway. We'll just grab the hotel shuttle to the Sheraton then put up with a longer drive down to the ship, which on a Sunday morning shouldn't be a problem.  Surprisingly, the big LAX hotels were almost the same price as our Usual Torrance hotel.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

That's EXACTLY what we usually do when sailing out of San Pedro. We stopped staying in San Pedro or Long Beach a long time ago. Our usual hotel is the Doubletree in Torrance, right across the street from the Del Amo Mall and as you say, halfway to San Pedro from LAX. Great location, shopping and restaurants a short walk away etc. Sadly, for our next trip in Feb, we arrive into LAX so late that we didn't want to bother with the hassle of LAX-It and the drive down to Torrance, where we wouldn't have time to do anything anyway. We'll just grab the hotel shuttle to the Sheraton then put up with a longer drive down to the ship, which on a Sunday morning shouldn't be a problem.  Surprisingly, the big LAX hotels were almost the same price as our Usual Torrance hotel.

I'm not sure what I would have chosen if it were not  for the free stay. Likely, I would have looked at hotels close to the cruise terminal.

Our hotel is one block north of the mall on Torrance Blvd.

Do you have any favorite restaurants there?

I spotted an Italian place a few blocks west called Scardinos that looks interesting.

Hopefully, our cousins, who live about an hour east of LA, are coming into town to meet us for dinner, so we will have transportation to get around. But, I figure to stay in the area unless the relatives come up with something that they are familiar with.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:31 PM, cruiser2015 said:

The Best Western Plus San Pedro is no longer a hotel. I believe it is a shelter for homeless veterans.

On 12/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, cruiser2015 said:

Do you have any favorite restaurants there?

Torrance has a very large Japanese American population, and thus, some great Japanese places.

Inside the Mitsuwa Marketplace at the mall is a great food court with Santouka Ramen (amazing ramen), Mugimaru + Toritetsu (Japanese noodles and meat on a stick) and more.

At the mall is Din Tai Fung, a Chinese dim sum restaurant. More conventional is BJ's Brewhouse and the Lazy Dog Cafe.

Scardino's is okay, but Aliotta's Via Firenze is better. Scardino's is Southern Italian, Aliotta's is Northern.

Ah, feedback from a local.

As for the San Pedro hotel, I did not know the address, so I scanned a Google map in of the area. I spotted a motel in the approximate area, so I guessed that it might have been the old BW. In any event, it does not seem to have a shuttle.

Oddly, I did not see Aliotta's during my map search.

Personally I prefer southern Italian. But Aliotta's menu looks interesting.

Thanks for your suggestions.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:53 AM, scottca075 said:

The old BWP San Pedro was at 111 S Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA 90731. There is a Vagabond Inn near by (215 S Gaffey), but its reputation is spotty.

I never had any thought of staying at the Vagabond.

Thanks for the history lesson.   ☺️  

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, aForestr said:

Any suggestions for party of 6 transfer from LAX hotel to San Pedro on the morning of embarkation.  Looking for options other than Princess transfer from LAX.

Karmel Shuttle, LAX Airport Shuttle, Zippy Shuttle and maybe Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PLW0520 said:

Is there a problem getting an Uber from LAX to San Pedro with mobility issues? I understand they cannot pick up curbside

Unfortunately, the only Uber "class" that can pick up at the terminals at LAX are the Uber Blacks. If you don't mind paying the $$$s, they are a good option. All other Ubers are shunted to the adjacent LAX-It lot, which passengers have to access by taking a shuttle bus. There are two well hidden taxi stands at the terminals, one of which is at the end of Terminal 7, but based on our experiences, that would be a last resort.

No problems in the other direction, we just Uber'ed from SP to the Air Canada Terminal 6 here at LAX an hour ago and they can drop you off no problem right at your gate. The problem is the pickup from LAX, picking up at the port in SP is also very easy.

Edited by lx200gps