Farmers Markets

mawvkysc

I cannot speak to a market in Cherbourg (been there but never to a market) but can offer some observations from having visited markets all over France.  The simple answer is that it varies.  Some vendors will take plastic (usually MC or Visa) and others want cash (Euros only).  The stands that do take plastic might have a minimum purchase (to use plastic) and quite a few might discount purchases made in cash (i.e. charge an extra fee for using plastic).  

In the past few years there has been a big increase in the acceptance of plastic, but we would not even consider shopping in France without having some Euros in our pocket.  Keep in mind that ATMs are very common in France (and Europe) and an easy place to quickly get Euros (generally at the best rates).  If you are going to chance shopping without Euros, then we suggest having a Debit/ATM card just in case you discover that you truly need Euros.  Make sure the issuing bank (for your debit card) is aware of your trip and the possibility you will have some transactions.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, mawvkysc said:

I am specifically interested in Cherbourg but a general answer for France may suffice. How many vendors usually accept credit cards vs cash only? 

Thanks 

We go to market wherever we travel!  Lucky we will be in Cherbourg on Saturday, a market day!   

2 hours ago, a5lson said:

We go to market wherever we travel!  Lucky we will be in Cherbourg on Saturday, a market day!   

I will be there on a Thursday which is a market day too in Cherbourg. I’m on a May TA on HAL Zuiderdam. Is this your cruise?