Specialty Dining Service fees

PandaBear62

We purchased the basic "package", which gives 2 specialty dining credits. I was thinking of either purchasing 2 more, or perhaps just paying a la carte at the time.

I am totally confused about the additional fees.

Online, it says this about the packages:

Specialty Dining Package from 2 - 7 Days

There’s no better way to enjoy our wide selection of delicious dining options than with our Specialty Dining Packages. Enjoy specialty restaurants on your choi ...

• PER PERSON PRICE $118.80 - $310.80
  • Price range includes a 20% specialty service charge.

Okay, that makes sense (or so I thought). If I purchase a 2 meal package, it is $118.80, which also includes the gratuity. 

I also know I prepaid the gratuity for my meals in the package, so I assumed I was set.

But then I read the FAQ's for the specialty dining. 

Here are some questions and the answers, per NCL.

The FAQ's say that the specialty dining package adds the service charge on top of the fee.

And what's a specialty service charge? You have to pay fpr the peal, gratuity and specialty charge?

I also though that you could make reservations at a certain time frame before your cruise. But the AQ makes it sound like you can make the reservation as soon as you purchase it. Is this true?

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PRICE?

No, a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once purchased, you can make reservations online in our "Dining" section at ncl.com/myncl or through Norwegian Reservations at 1-866-234-7350. Once onboard, you can also make reservations by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk or using the Norwegian App.

I thought the meals included in the package were worth the upcharge.  We chose to add an additional 3 meals on, and did not feel it was worth it (the food was usually served quite cold, and they kept running out of stuff).  Does anyone know if you can add 3 meals onboard once you've had a chance to try the specialty dining and see if you like it first?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PandaBear62 said:

We purchased the basic "package", which gives 2 specialty dining credits. I was thinking of either purchasing 2 more, or perhaps just paying a la carte at the time.

I am totally confused about the additional fees.

Online, it says this about the packages:

Specialty Dining Package from 2 - 7 Days

There’s no better way to enjoy our wide selection of delicious dining options than with our Specialty Dining Packages. Enjoy specialty restaurants on your choi ...

• PER PERSON PRICE $118.80 - $310.80
  • Price range includes a 20% specialty service charge.

Okay, that makes sense (or so I thought). If I purchase a 2 meal package, it is $118.80, which also includes the gratuity. 

I also know I prepaid the gratuity for my meals in the package, so I assumed I was set.

But then I read the FAQ's for the specialty dining. 

Here are some questions and the answers, per NCL.

The FAQ's say that the specialty dining package adds the service charge on top of the fee.

And what's a specialty service charge? You have to pay fpr the peal, gratuity and specialty charge?

I also though that you could make reservations at a certain time frame before your cruise. But the AQ makes it sound like you can make the reservation as soon as you purchase it. Is this true?

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PRICE?

No, a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once purchased, you can make reservations online in our "Dining" section at ncl.com/myncl or through Norwegian Reservations at 1-866-234-7350. Once onboard, you can also make reservations by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk or using the Norwegian App.

The price charged to you includes the 20%.

There should be an initial price shown that does not include the gratuity. The check out price should be all inclusive. You will not pay any more.

Not sure what your meaning is about the 20% charge, but it's the same 20% they add to all food and beverage purchases. I think spa as well. 

As for reservations, looks like they goofed in their description.

You may book when the reservation window opens for your sailing. 120 days prior to departure; 125 days Club Balcony & up and Platinum Latitudes & up.

28 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

$118.80 will be $99 + 20%

If you are buying two extra meals look out for an upgrade offer which gives you two extra meals for a discounted price.

As Keith says if you go to "Explore and Plan" then "upgrades" you should find 2 extra meals for $69 (30% off), there is no discount onboard, it's still $99. On our last cruise we wanted to use OBC for meals so waited until onboard, discounts were not to be found.

image.png.8164a6bf12ddae3bcefbd87b5a63d461.png

• Like 2

just to clarify, since I don't see this discussed in this thread... when you buy a two meal package, you're buying that package for one person.

one person gets two additional meals.

the OP mentioned "we" in the initial post, so i assume this is for a couple, in which case they'd be spending double the amount for two additional meals for both of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2