My days of racing to be “first” on the ship or over

chiguypaul

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

You didn't- I'm just pointing out that people leave the ship before 7am, when we wake up.  Crazy to me.  You see that in some of the "live" threads, and they got on the ship at 11am.

20 hours ago, alfaeric said:

People are off the ship by then.  Getting up at 7am is fine- we are clear of the room in time and can leave by 9am.  Why leave before 7am?  

For a lot of my sailings (weekends) it is because I work that day, and I want to be home by 930am-10am. Working that day lets me avoid taking any PTO.

Also, for most sailings, I am like the OP... I do not want to embark before 2p-230p. 

• Like 2

First of all...MERRY CHRSTMAS TO EVERYONE! Yes, I meant to shout that. 😁

My wife and I have not cruised since 2018 and we are super excited about our upcoming trip on the Wonder.

We are staying 5 minutes from the port, planning on boarding as soon as they open it up. I admit...it's the kid still in me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, DerekLF said:

I always try to get an early time not to be on the ship first, but because because I’m a worry-wort and it gives me more wiggle room if there is traffic, a flat tire or something on the way to the port. 

Even if I’m just sitting in the terminal waiting to board, the stress is over and vacation starts. 

I agree when I go out of Bayonne I arrive by 10am and then wait around at stores nearby.  But last time in October, I actually went to give luggage at 10:15 and got a very good closeup stop in parking lot. So I sat for 45 minutes in the car watching folks walk in and cars coming and going as well. 

• Like 1

Our first few cruises were on Carnival, and i remember they used to give a free beer to the first people to get to the pub once boarding started. One cruise with my BF we were in the first groups of passengers to board, and we literally RAN to the pub but were just beaten by another couple!!! Bummer, missed that free beer!!! I don't know if Carnival still does that....but i've long since gotten over the urge to be the first!!

(Our first couple of cruises, i also insisted on carrying on water, and diet coke -what a hassle and never again on that one!!! Then we were stuck sitting somewhere with our carry-ons forever because they were too heavy to move around!)

Our last cruise we arrived to port about 12:30, literally walked on, had lunch then our cabin was ready. I agree it's much less stressful than dragging around the carry-ons for an hour or two. And we didn't miss anything!

On debarkation day, tho, no matter how hard i try, i can't sleep once the ship slows down and we start entering the port. So, we always self assist off and are usually in the first group. It would be more relaxing to wait....but i haven't been able to do that yet!

Edited by ajtaylor29

We usually have the UDP so like to start off our cruise with lunch in a specialty restaurant. We generally try to board around noon (we're mostly sailing from LA, where the port is a 15 minute drive for us) and go straight to lunch. The cabins usually open up while we're at lunch so that mad rush is over by the time we're finished - we can unpack our carryons and maybe even get in a quick nap before sailaway. The only thing we'd be concerned about is getting UDP dinner reservations, but we like to dine late and there's almost always room for us somewhere.  I've read that Royal will start allowing us to make reservations online so that stress will be eliminated, or at least greatly reduced.

On 12/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, crewsweeper said:

We avoid the Windjammer if at all possible. But waiting until 2 P for the cabins to open can be a bit onerous if we want to do something else.

Wait, I thought cabins were normally available by 1 pm?  😮  

On 12/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, ajtaylor29 said:

Our first few cruises were on Carnival, and i remember they used to give a free beer to the first people to get to the pub once boarding started. One cruise with my BF we were in the first groups of passengers to board, and we literally RAN to the pub but were just beaten by another couple!!! Bummer, missed that free beer!!! I don't know if Carnival still does that....but i've long since gotten over the urge to be the first!!

Yes, Carnival still does this (specifically for the first to arrive at the Red Frog Pub).   I'm not sure if it's a free beer, or if it's a free alcoholic drink of any kind, though.  

Umm, perhaps I should have said "included" beer?  😄  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 1

Our earlier cruises, I can remember being so adamant with my husband that we had to be at the terminal by 11:00am.  Fast forward, since Covid we now target 12:30 - and usually 1:00.  It is so nice to just walk through the terminal and head up to the ship and go right to the room.  No lines, No standing.  Once we drop the luggage we deal with any reservations that are needed, then go up for food.  At that point the crowds are all leaving to go to their rooms.

I know it is not for everyone, and I have to constantly tell myself that we are still early - since the cut off time is usually like 4:00pm

• Like 2

I am port specific..... port canaveral I like 11am as parking can be a challenge. But I like to leave as early as possible from there as I can head into work and utilize minimal PTO.  

Lauderdale or miami 1230 to 1pm.. gives me a little more drive time and less stress.  I will be one of the last off in those ports.... leisure breakfast to prepare for drive..

On 12/23/2023 at 3:59 PM, DerekLF said:

I always try to get an early time not to be on the ship first, but because because I’m a worry-wort and it gives me more wiggle room if there is traffic, a flat tire or something on the way to the port. 

Even if I’m just sitting in the terminal waiting to board, the stress is over and vacation starts. 

Sitting in traffic is very stressful! Everyone is anguish and lacking patience. If I can avoid that by being early I would definitely prefer that! 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, Tlbecker1 said:

We were in Barcelona coming back to Miami in November.  We always leave early and was thankful we did.  They were having a marathon and what should have taken us 15 minutes, took us 1-1/2 hours to get to the port.  I am so glad that we always leave early.

we had a similar experience in Miami last year. Roads were blocked off and to add to the traffic problem there was an accident in the tunnel. 

On 12/26/2023 at 2:47 PM, ajtaylor29 said:

On debarkation day, tho, no matter how hard i try, i can't sleep once the ship slows down and we start entering the port. So, we always self assist off and are usually in the first group. It would be more relaxing to wait....but i haven't been able to do that yet!

This has been me on every cruise we've been on. It's the worst... not able to get back to sleep and knowing that you are getting kicked off the ship in a few hours. 

• Like 3

I think it also depends on where you are embarking. Next September we are embarking in Rome and only have the day we arrive (9am)  +1 full day for sightseeing. So I am thinking of taking the morning we embark for another quick excursion or exploration time before making our way to Civitavecchia. I know it will be at least an hour travel but if we plan to be onboard by 1, that still leaves some good 3/4 hours to explore before traveling to the port. 

4 hours ago, mrsd2fan said:

We have a 1 pm check in now I'm worried abt getting a parking spot..shoud I worry or get there earlier and wait?

No need to wait. Head to check in when you get there. No one ever asks your assigned check in time. You paid for day 1, not just the afternoon. Get there in time to enjoy lunch and learn your way around the ship before the sail away.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, alfaeric said:

It’s interesting that some of the people who want to be first on are the ones who want be first off. To us, boarding around 1pm is easy, and departing at 9am gives us a little more sleeping time. 

We like to board as early as possible because we always get the UDP and, at this time, we aren't able to make reservations for the restaurants we want until we are onboard.  Waiting to get on until 1 or so means we won't get our choices as there are times when boarding early, we don't get some of the times we want.

As far as debarking early, to me, when it's over, it's over.  We also have flights to catch so we prefer to do self debarkation if that means we get home several hours earlier than staying onboard to sleep in another half an hour or so.  

13 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We like to board as early as possible because we always get the UDP and, at this time, we aren't able to make reservations for the restaurants we want until we are onboard.  Waiting to get on until 1 or so means we won't get our choices as there are times when boarding early, we don't get some of the times we want.

As far as debarking early, to me, when it's over, it's over.  We also have flights to catch so we prefer to do self debarkation if that means we get home several hours earlier than staying onboard to sleep in another half an hour or so.  

that's a lot of stress.  Something I'd do everything to avoid.

16 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

No need to wait. Head to check in when you get there. No one ever asks your assigned check in time. You paid for day 1, not just the afternoon. Get there in time to enjoy lunch and learn your way around the ship before the sail away.

Thanks!!!!

On one of our first cruises they had a bit of a fog incident that morning so there was zero sense in showing up early for that one.  

After that we got out of the early-arrival crush unless the hotel insisted on it.  When we've driven to the port, part of our unique strategy was come by early to drop off the baggage with a porter and spend a few hours nearby.  In New Orleans, we dropped the luggage before 10am and spent a while at Harrahs, practically walking strait onto the Serenade with no line around 3pm (Convention center Marriott has an excellent park and stay package).  The winner was in Honolulu - we had the driver drop us at the port close to 5.  The terminal people thought they were done for the evening and it was still over 2 hrs. before we left the dock.

That' ship's not leaving until 5 or 6 or whenever, and all you're doing on board is eating and waiting for them to open your cabin (and then waiting for them to bring the luggage). Heck, the other secret there is if you're gonna get a pedicure on board (like DW), schedule it first day.