Any new on the Regatta?

roberts2005

For future reference, you can find recent reviews of a ship by using the search function to search "Regatta" (be sure the pull down menu says that you are searching "This Forum" (meaning Oceania forum). When (too many) results return, click "More search options" and choose "Content Titles Only" and search again. You'll get some meh hits but it will be less of a slog.

Here's a couple from this fall (including Feta's...I was on this cruise but I think I checked email once if any and never got on CC...was an excellent cruise!). Give the search since there may be other hits that you find interesting.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Life is good on Regatta.  We left out of Sydney on the 21st … had a slightly rocky (10 ft swells) day at sea on the way to Brisbane … hot and humid day in Brisbane (12 mile shuttle ride from the Cruise Terminal into the city, so no cruise up the river this time) … a lovely day in Mooloolaba (ended with a big rainstorm … rough seas made for interesting tendering, which I later heard had been canceled and some were unable to get off the ship) … the Holiday spirit is well and alive on the ship … at sea today heading to Townsville with Santa on board handing gifts out to the few kids on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, 2552phxcrzr said:

Life is good on Regatta.  We left out of Sydney on the 21st … had a slightly rocky (10 ft swells) day at sea on the way to Brisbane … hot and humid day in Brisbane (12 mile shuttle ride from the Cruise Terminal into the city, so no cruise up the river this time) … a lovely day in Mooloolaba (ended with a big rainstorm … rough seas made for interesting tendering, which I later heard had been canceled and some were unable to get off the ship) … the Holiday spirit is well and alive on the ship … at sea today heading to Townsville with Santa on board handing gifts out to the few kids on the ship.

G’Day Erin & Mui

So pleased you are visiting Aussie.  I read that you are staying on land for a few months.  If Canberra is on your itinerary please email me as we would love to catch up.    Cheers Ros & John🙂🙂  rosmerleg at hotmail dot com

On 12/27/2023 at 11:20 AM, aussietwo said:

G’Day Erin & Mui

So pleased you are visiting Aussie.  I read that you are staying on land for a few months.  If Canberra is on your itinerary please email me as we would love to catch up.    Cheers Ros & John🙂🙂  rosmerleg at hotmail dot com

Will drop you a note … we will be going to Canberra for a few days after we return to Sydney on the Indian Pacific in March.

19 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Are there any art classes on the Regatta, or do they only do them on the larger ships?

No art classes on Regatta … at least not on this cruise.  Can’t speak to the other itineraries.

Other than that, the cruise is progressing nicely.  Cooktown, which was to have been after Cairns has been canceled and replaced with a day at sea.  No surprise … the entire Far North Queensland suffered considerably from Cyclone Jasper earlier this month and the Government has declared it a natural disaster area; clean-up is in progress at present.  So, three sea days (on day 2 now) to reach Darwin on the 31st.

Our temps in the ports have been generally very hot … with high humidity.  Condensation on the ceiling in the Terrace Café during the day has been an ongoing problem … they have rugs all around the buffet area to keep people from slipping.  I imagine this is not a problem in more moderate climates.  (We had similar problems on Insignia during the world cruise, so this is not a Regatta-specific problem.)

Have noticed that some parts of the ship are warmer than others, though I have not been anywhere where it felt uncomfortable.  Have overheard people complaining to the front desk staff about A/C in the cabins being insufficient/not working.  We are in a deck 4 cabin and have no complaints.  We do keep the drapes closed when the sun is on the port side of the ship.

Someone mentioned in another thread that there was a refrigerated container on deck 11.  We saw it being taken off in Sydney.  So whatever the reason was for having it onboard, it no longer applies.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

Cooktown, which was to have been after Cairns has been canceled and replaced with a day at sea.

I gather then that you docked in Cairns?   How damaged was the town and it's environs?  Tours/Excursions go off as scheduled? or which were cancelled?

Thanks for interrupting your vacation to report in!

Greg

11 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

I gather then that you docked in Cairns?   How damaged was the town and it's environs?  Tours/Excursions go off as scheduled? or which were cancelled?

Thanks for interrupting your vacation to report in!

Greg

Saw no damage in Cairns as I wandered around.  I didn’t leave the city, so no first hand knowledge of the environs. That said, due to damage to the range, the Kuranda Rail is not operating until February I believe.  O operated the Kuranda tours by bus.  The reef boats were all taken into open waters to ride out the storm, so they seemed to be OK.  Certainly, the Reef Fleet Terminal was filled with boats when we were there, and I know the O tour out to the Marine World Pontoon operated as expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:16 AM, 2552phxcrzr said:

Have noticed that some parts of the ship are warmer than others, though I have not been anywhere where it felt uncomfortable.  Have overheard people complaining to the front desk staff about A/C in the cabins being insufficient/not working.  We are in a deck 4 cabin and have no complaints.  We do keep the drapes closed when the sun is on the port side of the ship.

Someone mentioned in another thread that there was a refrigerated container on deck 11.  We saw it being taken off in Sydney.  So whatever the reason was for having it onboard, it no longer applies.

On recent (Oct 4-Dec 22) Regatta sailing, we found the climate control onboard the ship to be lacking.  Temperatures were quite variable.  We were sailing in high temps and high humidity but the ship's system did not seem capable of handling it.  Our cabin was on deck 8 and was miserable for a very lengthy stretch of the cruise.  Forget about the in-room thermostat controlling anything.  There was no relationship to its settings and the temperatures in our cabin.  We were instructed to keep the curtains closed in the cabin, which we did.  It helped and the moment we'd open the drapes, the cabin got noticeably hotter.  We wound up feeling as if we were sailing in an inside cabin at the price of a PH.  We had the drapes closed from Okinawa to South Australia.  I requested that they see if they could do anything to fix the situation but nothing ever really changed.  I was told that "everyone is complaining" as if that was an answer to the problem.  Earlier, I'd asked them to look at it and was told "no one is complaining" and thus my concern was invalid.  I wound up frustrated with "Guest Services" to say the least.  I do believe that our cabin was negatively impacted by the heat due to its location -- which was only a door away from the elevator area.  Heat and humidity were pouring down the stairs from deck 9 where the Terrace and Waves are located.  And guests were coming in/out of the pool deck area, heating things up.  That said, I'd sailed on Regatta numerous times previously and never felt this problem to this degree.  Some parts of the ship (like the lounge in particular) felt like they were refrigerated.  Other areas (especially the fitness center and spa) were extraordinarily hot and only usable to the most heat-tolerant guests.  The GDR varied but was usually okay.  Same with the specialties on 10.  Lots of people were complaining about the temperatures in their cabins.

As for the refrigeration unit up top, that was brought on board during our cruise.  We were told that there was a problem with the "refrigeration system" onboard when we reached Vancouver which in turn caused a full day's delay there.  The captain told us that 2 spare units were brought onboard because we were sailing into a remote area (Alaska and then over to Japan) and would not have access to spare parts, if needed.  

9 minutes ago, vlthom said:

On recent (Oct 4-Dec 22) Regatta sailing, we found the climate control onboard the ship to be lacking.  Temperatures were quite variable.  We were sailing in high temps and high humidity but the ship's system did not seem capable of handling it.  Our cabin was on deck 8 and was miserable for a very lengthy stretch of the cruise.  Forget about the in-room thermostat controlling anything.  There was no relationship to its settings and the temperatures in our cabin.  We were instructed to keep the curtains closed in the cabin, which we did.  It helped and the moment we'd open the drapes, the cabin got noticeably hotter.  We wound up feeling as if we were sailing in an inside cabin at the price of a PH.  We had the drapes closed from Okinawa to South Australia.  I requested that they see if they could do anything to fix the situation but nothing ever really changed.  I was told that "everyone is complaining" as if that was an answer to the problem.  Earlier, I'd asked them to look at it and was told "no one is complaining" and thus my concern was invalid.  I wound up frustrated with "Guest Services" to say the least.  I do believe that our cabin was negatively impacted by the heat due to its location -- which was only a door away from the elevator area.  Heat and humidity were pouring down the stairs from deck 9 where the Terrace and Waves are located.  And guests were coming in/out of the pool deck area, heating things up.  That said, I'd sailed on Regatta numerous times previously and never felt this problem to this degree.  Some parts of the ship (like the lounge in particular) felt like they were refrigerated.  Other areas (especially the fitness center and spa) were extraordinarily hot and only usable to the most heat-tolerant guests.  The GDR varied but was usually okay.  Same with the specialties on 10.  Lots of people were complaining about the temperatures in their cabins.

As for the refrigeration unit up top, that was brought on board during our cruise.  We were told that there was a problem with the "refrigeration system" onboard when we reached Vancouver which in turn caused a full day's delay there.  The captain told us that 2 spare units were brought onboard because we were sailing into a remote area (Alaska and then over to Japan) and would not have access to spare parts, if needed.  

What cabin were you in?

2 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

What cabin were you in?

We were in 8049, which was a great cabin aside from the problem with the temperature.