Neiuw Amsterdam vs. Rotterdam

HectorAchilleus

I had a wonderful transatlantic cruise in October on the Rotterdam; I was especially impressed with the quality and variety of the Lido food - several carving stations, Salmon and other fish every night, fillet mignon several nights, wide variety of desserts, etc. Last week I just got off the Neiuw Amsterdam. The food was good, but not even close in variety or quality. The service was also not as great as on the Rotterdam. 

Was the difference in the fact that the Rotterdam was a transatlantic cruise, or because Rotterdam is a pinnacle class ship, or was it due to the fact that the Neiuw Amsterdam was just realeased (two days late) from dry-dock, or was it some other factor?  

We had a similar experience, but no transatlantic: on our cruise to the fjords of Norway on the Rotterdam, we found the food significantly better than on our Alaska cruise on the Noordam. 

So, although we can't answer the question, our assumption was that the difference could be because HAL gave more attention to the newest ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HectorAchilleus said:

I had a wonderful transatlantic cruise in October on the Rotterdam; I was especially impressed with the quality and variety of the Lido food - several carving stations, Salmon and other fish every night, fillet mignon several nights, wide variety of desserts, etc. Last week I just got off the Neiuw Amsterdam. The food was good, but not even close in variety or quality. The service was also not as great as on the Rotterdam. 

Was the difference in the fact that the Rotterdam was a transatlantic cruise, or because Rotterdam is a pinnacle class ship, or was it due to the fact that the Neiuw Amsterdam was just realeased (two days late) from dry-dock, or was it some other factor?  

One factor is everything you said is totally subjective...

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

All the cruise lines take the best crews of the fleet, and put them in the newest 

Not what we found on HAL. We find the best crew on smallest ship and not as hurried or stressed. Most of the crew that we've known for years are on the smaller ships still and prefer them to the bigger ships.  But every cruise is different, as is everyone's experience. 

• Like 1