Barcelona Add-on Tours

GMIAC

Our sailing in April on Grandeur ends in Barcelona, and we want to stay on for a few days to see the city, then go on to Madrid for a few days. Can I get some feedback from those who've done the Regent Barcelona add-on? How many days are recommended in each city if we decide to go it on our own? We're reasonably intrepid travelers, and want to hit at least the highlights in each city.

I have been to both cities on my own, specially Madrid, which I love. One thing Ive noticed is that the Regent add on tours in Madrid treat it just as a base to go to places like Toledo and Segovia. Dont get me wrong , those destinations are very special, but Madrid is a fabulous city which deserves several days on its own. Both cities are very different, Madrid is the quintessential Spanish city IMO.  I think that to hit the highlights in each city you need at least 3-4 days days in each. Travel between Barcelona and Madrid in train is very easy on the fast train, about 2.5 hours

Barcelona is fabulous, and getting around on your own is easy. I've not been to Madrid, so can't compare the two cities. But 3 - 4 days in Barcelona is sort of a minimum for me. I can imagine 3 - 4 months, but "your mileage may vary."
One tip: get your tickets to Sagrada Familia in advance: the lines for those without tickets are sometimes horrific.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Our sailing in April on Grandeur ends in Barcelona, and we want to stay on for a few days to see the city, then go on to Madrid for a few days. Can I get some feedback from those who've done the Regent Barcelona add-on? How many days are recommended in each city if we decide to go it on our own? We're reasonably intrepid travelers, and want to hit at least the highlights in each city.

Hi! We are on this cruise also and really looking forward to it.

Although we generally find Regent Pre/Post tours good, we do NOT feel this one would be!

Most importantly, it is only an outdoor tour of Sagrada Familia. NO! You must see the inside.  It is fabulous!

It also does not include Park Guell - that iconic picture of Barcelona is taken there.  Another not to miss place!

I would strongly suggest getting a centrally located hotel, book a private tour that includes at  least inside Sagrada, Park Guell, and one or two of the Gaudi houses  (Casa Mila or Batilo).

If possible include a walking tour of the gothic area.

Since we are travelling a lot this spring, and since we have seen all of the above, at this point we are just flying home at the end of cruise. 

But Barcelona is my favorite city, so that may change 😉

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

... Most importantly, [the Regent tour] is only an outdoor tour of Sagrada Familia. NO! You must see the inside.  It is fabulous! ...

Totally agree! For me the interior of Sagrada Familia is easily one of my top experiences ever. When I first walked in I had a quasi-religious experience, despite the fact that I am not religious.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Hi! We are on this cruise also and really looking forward to it.

Although we generally find Regent Pre/Post tours good, we do NOT feel this one would be!

Most importantly, it is only an outdoor tour of Sagrada Familia. NO! You must see the inside.  It is fabulous!

It also does not include Park Guell - that iconic picture of Barcelona is taken there.  Another not to miss place!

I would strongly suggest getting a centrally located hotel, book a private tour that includes at  least inside Sagrada, Park Guell, and one or two of the Gaudi houses  (Casa Mila or Batilo).

If possible include a walking tour of the gothic area.

Since we are travelling a lot this spring, and since we have seen all of the above, at this point we are just flying home at the end of cruise. 

But Barcelona is my favorite city, so that may change 😉

As with the others, I wholly agree with the above.  One way to do the Sagrada Familia is to do a small group tour with skip-the-line entry.  Regardless of whether you like the tour guide, this eliminates the wait and you can walk around all your want in/outside the cathedral after the tour.   Also depending on your mobility, a sunset cruise on a sailboat is very nice--especially if it allows you to hop in the Med for a swim.

This past August we stayed at the Hotel Majestic which is centrally located on Paseo de Gracia about two blocks away from both Casas Mila and Batllo.   Not near the harbor, but still a good place to stay.

• Thanks 1