Melbourne Shore Excursions

unclegrandpa

26 minutes ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

The link tells you where the stop is. It's on the Queen St Bridge between Southbank and CBD. A minutes walk over to Southbank or a minutes walk to Flinders St to access the free trams such as the historical city circle tram or the 70 & 75. 10 minute slow amble to Bourke St Mall. 
The point of the bus is that it's specifically for cruise pax only. It has no other stops. It aids in reducing congestion for the normal commuters so they don't have to explain to their bosses they were late because 5 trams went past too crowded with cruise pax. 

Ah that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying that info.  I was in Melbourne end of Oct for a few days before a cruise, and then disembarked after the cruise the 11th of Nov.  I was not aware the bus had started this service. For us the tram worked better b/c of the Collins street stop, which was close to the train station to get the bus to the airport.  But good to know about the bus for future cruise stops to Melbourne. 

Edited by dreams_of_travel
  • Like 1

Besides the convenience of the $17 Myki Card allowing you to catch the tram or bus into the CBD and return to port, there is a daily cap of $10.60. This means that from the city, you can catch any PTV tram, train or bus to anywhere in the state including Geelong or Ballarat for the daily fare of $10.60.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

Anyone considering Dandenong Ranges? Seems like about 1 hour away and around A$100 each way using Uber. Does not seem horribly far or super expensive.

A Dandenong Ranges shore excursion with a tour company would be an ideal use of your time while in Melbourne. E.g. https://greatprivatetours.com.au/product/dandenong-ranges-tour/

However if you wish to DIY, for your $17 Myki card, you could catch the 109 tram to Swanston St then walk to Flinders St station (about 25 minutes total) Then catch the train to Belgrave which is about an hour. At Belgrave you can go on Puffing Billy through the rainforest to Gembrook & back but you need to book this (extra cost) as it is very popular.

From Belgrave to the Dandenong Ranges is only a short Uber ride (although there are PTV busses) but what will you do once you get there? It is a lovely area for a drive around the little villages looking at the craft shops and having afternoon tea as well as walking through the lovely gardens and for some breathtaking views. Going by Uber or bus wouldn't be as enjoyable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

Anyone considering Dandenong Ranges? Seems like about 1 hour away and around A$100 each way using Uber. Does not seem horribly far or super expensive.

Good choice take an Uber to Healsville Wildlife Sanctuary in the Dandenong's you will not be disappointed

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Ah that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying that info.  I was in Melbourne end of Oct for a few days before a cruise, and then disembarked after the cruise the 11th of Nov.  I was not aware the bus had started this service. For us the tram worked better b/c of the Collins street stop, which was close to the train station to get the bus to the airport.  But good to know about the bus for future cruise stops to Melbourne. 

Ahh yes. If you are disembarking completely and heading to the airport then the 109 tram is easier for access straight to Southern X Stn and the Skybus. 

The shuttle buses have been going for a few years pre pandemic. I live in the middle of the cbd so I watch them unloading through the day. As residents we get notices with all the planned days of ships in port and where the buses will be raking up parking bays etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarramar said:

A Dandenong Ranges shore excursion with a tour company would be an ideal use of your time while in Melbourne. E.g. https://greatprivatetours.com.au/product/dandenong-ranges-tour/

However if you wish to DIY, for your $17 Myki card, you could catch the 109 tram to Swanston St then walk to Flinders St station (about 25 minutes total) Then catch the train to Belgrave which is about an hour. At Belgrave you can go on Puffing Billy through the rainforest to Gembrook & back but you need to book this (extra cost) as it is very popular.

From Belgrave to the Dandenong Ranges is only a short Uber ride (although there are PTV busses) but what will you do once you get there? It is a lovely area for a drive around the little villages looking at the craft shops and having afternoon tea as well as walking through the lovely gardens and for some breathtaking views. Going by Uber or bus wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I need to learn more about that area. I first had an impression that that was like a national park with a trail system. So I was planning to take Uber to a trail head, hike and/or run for a couple hours and then take Uber back to Melbourne. If it's just villages and gardens with no forest that definitely won't be much fun then

6 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

I need to learn more about that area. I first had an impression that that was like a national park with a trail system. So I was planning to take Uber to a trail head, hike and/or run for a couple hours and then take Uber back to Melbourne. If it's just villages and gardens with no forest that definitely won't be much fun then

It is both. There are forests as well as all the villages, etc. Here is a list of the walks and hikes. https://www.alltrails.com/parks/australia/victoria/dandenong-ranges-national-park"

The "Kokoda track" is easily accessible from the Upper Ferntree Gully station, which is a few stops before Belgrave. https://maps.app.goo.gl/8nVd6gxphQKJUNTFA