Southampton to Gatwick to Churchill War Rooms

gdlamberth

We disembark in Southampton the morning of 28 August 2024, and want to proceed to Gatwick Airport (basically to drop our luggage off at the hotel) and then proceed to Churchill War Rooms (and other area sights).  I must confess while I think I understand The Tube, the English railway system baffles me a bit.  I'm asking for suggestions/recommendations on getting for Southampton to Gatwick and from Gatwick to Churchill War Rooms area.  Everyone's patience and assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Greg

How long are you staying at the hotel at Gatwick? It is a long way outside London, I wouldn't recommend staying there unless is just for a night.

Southampton to Gatwick take the train, the National Express coach, although comfortable, is a long journey.
The tube is the metro or underground and quite simple when you have a map, it's very extensive and will get you just about anywhere you want.
What is it you don't understand about the regular trains, I think they are very similar to what I have used in other countries.

I think you might be able to maximize your logistics by leaving your luggage at Held Luggage at the train station.  You then have more time to enjoy your visit to the Museum, perhaps a late lunch/ early dinner and then go to your overnight at the hotel.  yes you may need to pay a fee for the luggage but you will likely save quite a bit of time and be more efficient and probably in the end spend less on your train travel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

What is it you don't understand about the regular trains, I think they are very similar to what I have used in other countries

Mostly the wide variance and prices prices for the same train. Also the multiple companies have multiple websites where you can buy multiple tickets and multiple prices. I guess what I'd like to be able to do is get to the train station at Southampton walk up to the kiosk or ticket counter and say I'd like four tickets on the next train to Gatwick. If I can do that I'm a happy camper.

36 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Mostly the wide variance and prices prices for the same train. Also the multiple companies have multiple websites where you can buy multiple tickets and multiple prices. I guess what I'd like to be able to do is get to the train station at Southampton walk up to the kiosk or ticket counter and say I'd like four tickets on the next train to Gatwick. If I can do that I'm a happy camper.

You can do that, there is a ticket machine and ticket desk in Southampton, you will however get the best prices by booking in advance the website Trainline makes booking easier online.

• Thanks 1