IntraEuropen Luggage Weight Limits; CDG transfers

hotmike98

Rep from Air France told us that although the limit is 50lb per bag on our LAX to CDG flight, on our connecting flight to Copenhagen (also Air France) the limit is 45 lb. Since Denmark is a Schnegen country, does that mean we have to retrieve our bags to clear customs in Paris, or can they be checked through? Looked at the terrific thread on CDG transfers (we have to go from Term. 2C to 2D, and it looks like you have to walk to either end of the "eye shape" to cross over, but we have 2 hours between flights, so I'm hoping that will be more than enough time. Opinions?

For the connection at CDG, have a read of this thread where many people have posted much information that will help you. Two hours is enough to transfer comfortably and without stress at CDG.

Are your USA->CDG and CDG->CPH flights written on the same ticket, or have they been bought separately? If they're on the same ticket, the higher trans-Atlantic baggage allowance will apply to both flights.

When you arrive at CDG from the US, you will clear immigration at CDG but you will not pick up your bags as they should have been through-checked to CPH. When you arrive at CPH, you will collect your bags and clear customs there.

Thanks Globaliser. Have been following that thread. Given our 1:50 layover, I wasn't too concerned about time, just don't want to get lost. Since we have to clear customs, does that mean we will have to exit security zone to get to Term 2D? My last trip to CDG, the lines for security were quite long. Then while we were boarding, there was smoke coming from somewhere in the terminal, and they chased us away from boarding area. Resulting delay in departure made us miss our connecting flight in Dallas (which I think tops CDG as being impossibly large for plane/terminal changes the airlines book as being "acceptable"). As to the bags, unfortunately, it was much cheaper to buy the tickets separately, but will just try to keep the weight under 45lbs and check them through to CPH. Posted the info more as a warning to others.

Have enjoyed you comments about Britain; just returned from a wonderful trip to London over Christmas holidays.

No, you're not clearing customs, only immigration. You should be able to connect "airside" between flights without exiting to the public areas by following the signposted connections route. However, as you're arriving from the US, you will have to be security-screened at CDG at some point before boarding your onward flight from CDG. And you will have to decide whether you actually want to do the airside connection route if the bus transfer is going to take much longer than exiting landside and walking across from T2C to T2D.

The fact that you're on two tickets probably won't prevent a through-check of your baggage. This may improve your chances of not being charged anything for the excess baggage, particularly if you're on an AF-AF connection - but this will all be down to the luck of the draw. You probably already know that although the trans-Atlantic allowance is 23 kg (50 lbs) per bag, the intra-Europe allowance is about 20 kg (44 lbs) per person.

Wow, I did NOT know it was per person! Do you know what the weight limit is for carry on? We are doing 7day Baltic cruise on Regent Voyager with 3 days pre-cruise in Copenhagen, and 6 days post cruise in Paris. Lot of time to utilize 44lbs of clothes. I might just check one bag, and bring an overhead size rollerbag. I also have a small daypack in which I carry my cpap machine, so even when they say one bag, I can classify it as medical, even if it has a couple of paperbacks, my travel docs and headphones.

Just taking this from the Air France website:-

In the cabin, you can transport 1 baggage item + 1 accessory, such as a handbag, laptop computer, or camera.

Check that:

- the total weight does not exceed 12 kg,

- the total dimensions, including wheels and handles, do not exceed 115 cm (width + length + height = 115 cm).

Extra allowances for premium classes, of course, but your posts suggest that you're flying in economy.

Personally, I think that this should be more than enough. I regularly do one-week cruises with a single suitcase weighing about 18 kg, and I still go home with clean clothes that I didn't wear.

Archived