Expedition Ships Antarctic Flights

kchand

Living in SWFL I have a few choices of Gateways.

1. What is the itinerary that Viking created for you.

2. Which Buenos Aires hotel did you stay at.

3. What time were the Return flight from Ushuaia.

Thank You

We did the Antarctic Explorer Feb 2023.  We did the extensions and flew American Airlines.  The flights were fine.  If you are using Viking Air, call and ask what they are offering.  We stayed overnight at the Hilton Buenos Aires before flying on to Ushuaia.  This was a wonderful trip and one that it will be really hard to top!  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Based on our experience in November following the Chilean Fjords cruise on Polaris.  If you disembark in the morning in Ushuaia, the earliest flight to Buenos Aires was at 11:00.  Our flight was 1:30 or so.  These are Viking chartered flights on Fly Bondi, an Argentine airline.  It's a 3-4 hour flight to BA, and non-stops to the US all leave at 10:00 PM or so.  Destinations IIRC were New York, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas.   If you have a post extension, maybe there is a morning flight to the US.  After checking,  AA has a morning and evening flight to MIA.  

1 hour ago, ewenwash said:

If you have a post extension, maybe there is a morning flight to the US

We had the post extension and had a 10 PM flight to Houston on United. Shuttle bus left the Hilton at 4:30 PM. 

Thank You for the very helpful  information. I thought someone from Florida would chime in.

What was the average temperature on the ship ( we are going in December ).

What did you do for waterproof gloves and did you buy glove liners.

Thanks Again.

Posted (edited)

I did an Antarctic cruise with another operator, one that did not push flights so I arranged my own.

Given the flight timing, the long distances, AND the fact that Argentina is interesting in itself- it's a shame not to spend some time in Buenos Aires, a day or two in Ushuaia, and maybe even another stop in Argentina. I did all of these. It seems to me that this is an even better case for arranging your own flights than usual.

On the way back- if you spend at least one night in Buenos Aires- you can check bags at the hotel, see some things in the city, and go to the airport in the evening. Not too late, probably much of the time will be waiting in lines at the notoriously crowded international airport.

I think all the flights to the US leave around midnight. I saw AA flights to Miami, JFK, and DFW.

Edited by pavementends