Returning to NCL- reservation questions

L1211

Posted (edited)

Not exactly a provocative topic but so many of you are willing to share your knowledge- so appreciated!  Returning to NCL - last cruise was 2/2020… realizing much has changed post- COVID (I remember when Vibe passes were $99!!!).  I just booked for March, 24 so I’m about 60 days out.  Working on dinner and entertainment reservations- I’m a planner!

- non- speciality restaurants only have 5:30 or 8:30 reservations available online - is that early or late seating?  What happened to “free style dining”??  Can I make alternative times once on the ship? Should I grab reservations now and try to change?

- Shows do not have reservations available now- do those open up closer to sail date?

- speaking of shows- if I find show days and times in a daily from a current review (sailing the Bliss from LA) - is there a chance those times would apply to my sailing date?  Is there consistency in schedules a few months out on a particular ship? 
- I have two cabins- any way to link those in My NCL?  Tell me this has advanced! 
- is teppanyaki included in the speciality dining plan? It was not on MSC so maybe that’s what I’m remembering.  Sailed them most recently (in YC and Still prefer a NCL club-suite!)

- have they put limits on what you can order in speciality dining- MSC has a special limited menus for those with dining packages -anything like this at NCL? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by L1211
Gibberish

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, L1211 said:

- non- speciality restaurants only have 5:30 or 8:30 reservations available- is that early or late seating?  What happened to “free style dining”??  Can I make alternative times once on the ship? Should I grab reservations now and try to change?

"Freestyle dining" is not even having to make reservations for the MDR!!  Go whenever you're ready to eat.

- Shows do not have reservations available now- do those open up closer to sail date?

Yes - https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/when-can-i-pre-book-entertainment

- speaking of shows- if I find days and times in a daily from a current review (sailing the Bliss from LA) - is there a chance those times would apply to my sailing date?  Is there consistency in schedules a few months out on a particular ship?

Possibly, but not 100%.  Also be aware that SIX is on current dailies but the last cruise on the Bliss with that show will be in Feb.

- I have two cabins- any way to link those in My NCL?  Tell me this has advanced! 

I'm not sure, have you tried calling and asking?  What is your goal for linking?  Once you dine together once the hosts can see and ask if the other cabin is with you as well, this happened to me in 2022 and I didn't even plan the cruise with the people I dined with!

- is teppanyaki included in the speciality dining plan?

ALL specialty venues are included.

- have they put limits on what you can order in speciality dining- MSC has a special limited menus for those with dining packages -anything like this at NCL? 

Same menu, but limited to number of items/courses (can get up to four - one salad, one app/soup, one entree, one dessert).  Some items have an up-charge (looking at you, Surf-n-Turf at Cagney's!!!).

Edited by hallux

We are a family of 7 and have never been able to link reservations. Making dining reservations is easy, we just book for 8 from 1 reservation, but I have to log into each one to book excursions and shows.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I'm not sure, have you tried calling and asking?  What is your goal for linking?  Once you dine together once the hosts can see and ask if the other cabin is with you as well, this happened to me in 2022 and I didn't even plan the cruise with the people I dined with!

That should work in the MDR and should be ok in specialities (unless it is so busy that there are limited tables available I suppose).

If people know in advance of the cruise that they will be eating together at a speciality restaurant then it’s even easier. Just have one person book a table for four.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

That should work in the MDR and should be ok in specialities (unless it is so busy that there are limited tables available I suppose).

In my case, I'm a solo and the people I dined with were a group of 3 so they had a spot at the table anyway

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We are a family of 7 and have never been able to link reservations. Making dining reservations is easy, we just book for 8 from 1 reservation, but I have to log into each one to book excursions and shows.

This is how it was previously- thank you!  

1 hour ago, hallux said:

In my case, I'm a solo and the people I dined with were a group of 3 so they had a spot at the table anyway

Thank you so much @hallux  great info!! 

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

If people know in advance of the cruise that they will be eating together at a speciality restaurant then it’s even easier. Just have one person book a table for four.

Yes, I can book for four on the nights we’re dining together.  That works!  MSC allows multiple cabins on one booking- just a little easier for the cruise planner (me!).