Specific MDR recommendations for my cruise

The tofu and avocado is really yummy. I wish they had more lighter foods like that on the menu.

There are only two dishes I would warn someone away from, the lasagna and the Asian sweet and sour chicken entree. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 9:07 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies.   I am particularly happy to hear that people have liked the Escargots and the Tenderloin, since those were the two things I was most interested in.  

People are different, some like to wing it on vacation.   Me, I find that stressful.  I love the anal scale that was mentioned here and I'm somewhere in the 9.2-9.5 range.   I'll never forget the AZ vacation where we drove around, and I'd had it well-planned except for the restaurants because life got busy the weeks beforehand.  At one point DH turned to me and said, "Where's good to eat near here?"   I had to say, "No Clue."  Plus, planning and researching vacations helps to extend the vacation.  

You are making me laugh.  I would say I'm a 8.9 on the scale because my DH does no planning.  ZERO!  He doesn't even care where we are going until we get there.  At least he always has a good time once we are on vacation.  We are both easy with food though.  This is my first time on RC after two cruises with NCL and I am panicking a little bit about not much choice of different restaurants on Voyager.  I did pre-purchase 3 of the speciality restaurants.  Guess we will be doing the MDR or Buffet rest of the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firstimer2009 said:

You are making me laugh.  I would say I'm a 8.9 on the scale because my DH does no planning.  ZERO!  He doesn't even care where we are going until we get there.  At least he always has a good time once we are on vacation.  We are both easy with food though.  This is my first time on RC after two cruises with NCL and I am panicking a little bit about not much choice of different restaurants on Voyager.  I did pre-purchase 3 of the speciality restaurants.  Guess we will be doing the MDR or Buffet rest of the time.

The MDR can be very good or so-so and anything in between. Check the menu on the cruise before yours during the week before you sail through the Royal App on your phone. The menus should correspond closely to what you will have on your cruise.  Figure the three meals you might not be interested in and substitute your three specialty meals for those nights. As soon as you get onboard, head to the nearest open specialty restaurant and make your reservations. It does not have to be the specialty restaurant that you are reserving. In most cases, all three can be done in one visit. This is a high priority because it is a first come first served reservation system and prime times can fill up quickly.

My breakfasts in general in the Windjammers have been very good. The lunches and dinners are slowly getting better but unpredictable for the last few years. Sometimes the meals are very good and sometimes they are 'meh' as some cruisers have mentioned. Only in a few rare cases have some of my MDR entrees been so bad that I put the napkin on the plate and called it a meal. There is always food available.

• Like 2