Cape Liberty Vs Baltimore

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and take about 3 solo cruises a year out of Baltimore. The drive is an easy 3 hours and Baltimore port embarkation is always a breeze, so I drive in on the day of departure. Although I have taken many cruises from other Eastern ports(Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, New Orleans) over the years, I'm not really interested in flying to a departure port anymore, so considering driving to Norfolk or Cape Liberty to get more variety in itinerary and cruise lines. I'm not used to alot of traffic and an unfamiliar drive, so I think NY port would be too much for me. The drive to Norfolk seems easy and about the same distance for me but there are a lot of complaints about Norfolk port on cruise critic and the itineraries aren't great.  But I'm a little scared of trying Cape Liberty -seems like it would be across Del Memorial Bridge and then NJ turnpike, about 4 hours. Any thoughts on whether someone used to rural driving could do this easily on day of cruise? If not, suggestions for hotel near port? Also, comparisons between Balt port and Cape Liberty embarkations? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, xyzcruiser said:

But I'm a little scared of trying Cape Liberty -seems like it would be across Del Memorial Bridge and then NJ turnpike, about 4 hours. Any thoughts on whether someone used to rural driving could do this easily on day of cruise? If not, suggestions for hotel near port? Also, comparisons between Balt port and Cape Liberty embarkations? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I live near Cape Liberty and the majority of my cruises are from there. I have sailed 3 times from Baltimore. The first 2 times, I drove down the day prior and booked a hotel/park/cruise package with Trinity Reservations. In December, I used Amtrak from Newark Penn Station to Baltimore Penn Station for a cruise that afternoon. Based on that positive experience, I will likely transit via train rather than auto for future Baltimore departures. Would using Amtrak be an option on sailing date or 1 day prior? The same would apply for cruises departing from NYC, taking Amtrak to New York Penn Station rather than Newark Penn. 

There is not much difference of itineraries from Bayonne compared to Baltimore. The significant difference will be the cruise ship as Oasis class ships sail from Bayonne between May & October with Quantum class sailing November through April. 

If you do drive 1 day prior, there is no need to stay close to the port as there are no hotels in Bayonne. Hotels in Jersey City(adjacent to Bayonne) will have outstanding views of lower Manhattan though with traffic and charge for parking at the hotel. 

Downtown Newark hotels are better choices than in the airport area as those hotels have limited dining choices and road signage in NJ could be much better than it is.

I would suggest staying in Woodbridge, Islein, Carteret, Clark areas which will be an easy drive to Cape Liberty the next day. If you have a weekday cruise departure, leave your hotel after 9 am to avoid commuter traffic. 

Parking is $30 per night at Cape Liberty. Best to arrive there by 10:30-10:45 am as the 1 lane road leading to the terminal will have traffic backup after that time. If your cruise is between May & October, the parking garage and parking lots are used as multiple ships will be sailing. November through April has only 1 ship sailing and all cruisers use the garage. You must drive by the luggage drop zone prior to parking. I suggest if you are sailing May-October to drop your luggage first as some of the parking lots are quite far from the terminal.

Check in is easier in Bayonne (imo). Certainly easier to board the ship as opposed to the numerous ramps used in Baltimore. Check in times are not look at much less enforced. If you arrive prior to the first boarding time, you will be assigned where to sit and when boarding commences it is done by the row one is sitting in, not their scheduled boarding time.

Edited by meadowlander